Latest Infectious Disease News
The Nemours Foundation suggests ways to treat rotavirus infection at home:
- Contact your pediatrician at the first signs of illness, especially if your child shows signs of dehydration.
- Get instructions from the pediatrician on which foods and drink to give your child.
- Offer plenty of fluids, but not fruit juice or soda, which may worsen diarrhea.
- If you are breastfeeding, continue to do so throughout the course of the illness.
- Children who are mildly-to-moderately dehydrated may need small, frequent servings of beverages designed to replenish bodily fluids.
- Don't give your child over-the-counter medications for vomiting or diarrhea, unless recommended by the pediatrician.
- If your child is vomiting, feed small, frequent meals throughout the day.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.