Latest Mental Health News
The University of Maryland Medical Center offers this list of relaxation techniques:
- Progressive relaxation, which is consciously relaxing the muscles from your toes to your head and everything between.
- Toe tensing involves lying down, pointing the toes toward the face, and holding for 10 seconds before relaxing the toes and repeating.
- Breathing in deeply for eight to 10 seconds, holding the breath for one to two seconds, and slowly releasing.
- Guided imagery, which involves closing your eyes and visualizing a happy, peaceful place.
- Quiet ears, in which you lie down with hands beneath the head, then block the ear canals with the thumbs. Hold this position for 10 seconds to 15 seconds.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.