Latest Infectious Disease News
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help keep your child more comfortable during chickenpox:
- Let your child soak in a lukewarm bath every few hours. Add an oatmeal bath product to help alleviate itching.
- Instead of a bath, cover your child's skin with a moist, cool cloth every few hours.
- Don't rub your child's skin dry; gently pat it with a towel.
- Dab calamine lotion on sores on the body, but not the face.
- Serve foods that can be eaten cold, are soft in texture, and aren't acidic or salty.
- If your child has chickenpox sores in the genital area, check with your pediatrician or pharmacist about a pain-relieving cream.
- Offer your child acetaminophen (never aspirin) to control pain, particularly painful blisters in the mouth.
- Check with the pediatrician about using over-the-counter medicine for itching.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.