Latest MedicineNet News
New York-Presbyterian Hospital says these factors may indicate the need for a bone density test:
- Having had a bone fracture, perhaps stemming from loss of bone mass.
- Having a close relative -- notably a mother or grandmother -- who has been diagnosed with osteoporosis or who fractured a bone.
- Having taken over the long-term medications that can cause bone loss, including corticosteroids and certain anti-seizure drugs.
- Having physical risk factors, such as a slender build, low body weight or fair skin.
- Being a smoker or heavy drinker.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.