(HealthDay News) -- Hair loss isn't confined to men. Women and even children can lose their hair, the American Academy of Family Physicians says.
Latest MedicineNet News
Here's the academy's list of possible causes of hair loss:
- Stress caused by an illness or major surgery. This type of hair loss often is temporary.
- Changes in hormone levels, such as those caused by pregnancy or a thyroid disorder.
- Use of certain medications, such as blood thinners, antidepressants, oral contraceptives, heart medications, gout treatments or vitamin A.
- A fungal infection of the scalp.
- An underlying disease, such as diabetes or lupus.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.