The side leg raise strengthens muscles at sides of hips and thighs. Use ankle weights, if you are ready to or gradually work up to adding weights.
- Stand up straight, directly behind a table or chair, feet slightly apart. Hold onto the table to help keep your balance.
- Take 3 seconds to lift your right leg 6 to 12 inches out to the side. Keep your back and both legs straight (hold your abdomen in and do not arch your back). Don't point your toes outward; keep them facing forward. Hold the position for 1 second.
- Take 3 seconds to lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat with left leg.
- Alternate legs, until you have repeated the exercise 8 to 15 times with each leg.
- Rest; do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.
- Stand straight, directly behind table, feet slightly apart.
- Hold table for balance.
- Slowly lift one leg to side, 6-12 inches.
- Hold position.
- Slowly lower leg.
- Repeat with other leg.
- Back and both knees are straight throughout exercise.