The biceps curl strengthens the upper-arm muscles.
- Sit in an armless chair, with your back supported by the back of the chair. Your feet should be flat on the floor, spaced apart so that they are even with your shoulders.
- Hold hand weights, with your arms straight down at your side, palms facing in toward your body.
- Take 3 seconds to lift your left hand weight toward your chest by bending your elbow. As you lift, turn your left hand so that your palm is facing your shoulder. Hold the position for 1 second.
- Take 3 seconds to lower your hand to the starting position. Pause, then repeat with right arm.
- Alternate until you have repeated the exercise 8 to 15 times on each side.
- Rest, then do another set of 8 to 15 alternating repetitions.
- Sit in armless chair, with your back supported by back of chair.
- Feet flat on floor; keep feet even with shoulders.
- Hold hand weights at sides, arms straight, palms in.
- Slowly bend one elbow, lifting weight toward chest. (Rotate palm to face shoulder while lifting weight.)
- Hold position.
- Slowly lower arm to starting position.
- Repeat with other arm.
Click here for a printable weekly schedule for exercising: Strength Exercises Daily Record.