Latest MedicineNet News
(HealthDay News) -- New moms have enough on their minds without worrying about throwing out their back.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice:
- Try to exercise and strengthen your back muscles as soon as your doctor says it's safe.
- Make an effort to lose the baby weight -- within six weeks is recommended.
- Keep your arms and baby close to your body when you lift the infant.
- When lifting baby, bend at the knees and lift with your legs, instead of your back.
- Always drop the side rail of the crib when lifting baby, rather than bending over the rail and hoisting baby out.
- Before lifting baby from the high chair, remove the high chair's tray.
- Carry baby in a pack on the front of your body, instead of your hip.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2009 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.