Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kristyne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Scoliosis was first noticed following a 360 lumbar fusion in 2016 at S1, L4-L5. This led to a second spinal fusion and a plate added to straighten the scoliosis at L3 L4. I just had an MRI 7 months post-operation, the XLIF scoliosis surgery. Now I have thoracolumbar scoliosis (both lumbar and thoracic areas). They are sending me for a special scan. I am not sure if I need an orthopedic surgeon or if I should I stay with a neurosurgeon for this. I am terrified.

Comment from: Tandie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I started having pain when I was in the fifth grade and was aged 10, in 1996. I used to feel tired and breathing was slightly a challenge especially in the winter. At this time, I didn't notice the abnormality. My mom noticed it beginning 2004. I had x-rays taken and that`s when I got to know the problem was scoliosis. It worsens as one grows. I am now 28 years old and everyone can see the abnormality now. I can't wear heels for more than 2 days because I spend some days after experiencing back pain.

Comment from: Yellowcast74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was in the 7th grade when my scoliosis was detected during a routine school screening. My curvature was so bad that if I had not gotten surgery when I did (my spine was curved toward my chest) it would have affected my breathing which would have led to other health issues. I had to wear a body cast the entire summer of 88 in the south. It was removed right before I started high school but with that cast I still continue to live my life, like run track and hangout like teenagers do. I had a great support system, now today I have a 17 year old son who has been detected of having scoliosis. His is curvature is a little different from mine but when detected he was already at 37 degrees. They have put in a brace that he very seldom wears. I am not sure how this will affect him in his adulthood but since he wants to be hardheaded and not wear the brace there really isn't anything I can do. He does not have much time left to grow and once he stops growing however his curvature is how it is going to have to stay I think.

Comment from: whitewash1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis due to great pain, plus a neck injury due to work. I am a tower crane operator.

Comment from: Cyntana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I hurt myself while moving into a new house. I thought I strained my back and went to a chiropractor to get it worked on. The x-rays showed a curve in my lower spine, my spine is centered between my navel and left hip and a vertebra in my upper back has slipped halfway off of one below it, causing a great deal of pain in my rib cage, as well as the horrible pain in my lower back. That was four years ago, my doctor has yet to acknowledge anything except bulging discs in L4 - S1. He tells me I need to exercise; I told him it was extremely painful for me to twist and turn my upper body, and that walking makes my hips and back hurt. If I try to take his advice and walk, I wake the next morning unable to even roll out of bed. MRI have shown the presence of scoliosis, but no diagnosis as yet - four years and two MRIs later.

Comment from: nick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a young child in a routine doctor's office visit. I was a happy kid who had been singing since she was four. I was also a child gymnast and I loved it. My parents planned on keeping me in the program I was in for years to come. After some time, the diagnosis created such tension in my family that it was decided it would be better that I quit as one of the beliefs was that all the twisting and bending could have actually caused the curvature. I was told to get the rod surgery but my Dad refused to have his little girl undergo surgery. Instead I was put into the Boston brace. But I had to say goodbye to the gymnastics program. Scoliosis had felt like a captivity for me in many aspects. Putting on your own brace is very time consuming so every day, one of my family members had to put it on. I felt incapable. The back brace would dig into my young skin and cause deep, bloody, stinging, red sores and cuts from underneath my arms to below my navel. Bending down in school to pick up a pen on the floor was impossible to do painlessly. Going to the restroom was too much of a nuisance so my bladder suffered for hours on end. The pain was a pulsating pain that was always there. It didn't stop in my back. I had severe migraines that would cause nausea, even sporadic numbness from time to time in my hands or I would experience pins and needles. I was also diagnosed with a neurological disability stemming from scoliosis. One side of my body is not as receptive as the other and even one of my eyes do not have as clear a vision as the other one. The only treatments that greatly help me feel better are alternative treatments which are not funded by my insurance. Scoliosis is not widely recognized as a disability, and I hope that changes. Scoliosis got me into yoga which I love and does help to decrease the daily pain.

Comment from: Monica Carrion, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 01

I have my niece in Ecuador who was diagnosed with scoliosis. Over there, doctors do not offer treatment, the only option is surgery. I would like to bring my niece to US for a better diagnostic.

Comment from: Rollingstone, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I must be lucky! I was diagnosed with a curve of my spine of 9 percent in 7th grade. I was put on special back exercises for scoliosis that made me look funny, so for years I did these and was relentlessly mocked by my older brother. When I was 15 my curvature was 10 percent. In my 20s again 10 percent. But a few years ago, at age 46, I went to the doctor for some back pain. He did x-rays and found no curve of my spine. I saw the x-rays in nearly every visit to the doctor. So somehow I was cured. But, I was told this was not possible. So I guess I am lucky!

Comment from: Belle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have an S curve 15 degree scoliosis and I'm undergoing physical therapy exercise program. However, I can't quite understand why I always experience back pains and sometimes upper extremities pain. I have read articles on different tips when sleeping like putting a rolled towel underneath your hips etc. My doctor says the muscles around my spine are weak. I exercise every day to strengthen those muscles but I don't think they are improving. Sleeping for the past week has been painful and irritating.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 11 years old. My Mama was making me a dress and thought she cut the pattern wrong when she was unable to close the zipper. I was put into a Milwaukee brace 24/7. My curves were 65 and 35 degrees. I even wore body cast in the winter months in hopes of better correction. At the age of 15 I had to have surgery, 11 fusions in the thoracic region with placement of 2 Harrington rods; this was in 1974. In 1976 the rods were removed, things were stable at that time, I had no pain and I was released from my doctor. I had a wonderful doctor and do not blame him for anything. Well in 2012 I started having sacroiliac (SI) pain but didn"t think much about it. I got worse, after several x-rays and doctors, I still have severe scoliosis and have lost what correction I obtained with surgery. I have rheumatoid arthritis and spurs encroaching on my spine, osteoporosis, and lots of pain now. I am unable to work and have been told by my doctor that surgery is no longer an option for me as well as injections for the pain. So at this time I"m on pain medications and unable to work. Everyday household chores are impossible. Maybe one day there might be some new options to explore, but for now I take one day at a time.

Comment from: Katie Dafoe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I discovered that I had scoliosis when I went to the hospital (I am a car accident victim). I got a really bad whiplash. My neck and back were really sore. I went to the hospital, I got in right away. The doctor asked me if I had scoliosis. I never heard of it so I said no. At this point the doctor ordered x-rays. When I came back he informed me that I did in fact have scoliosis. I went to the hospital because I am in quite a bit of pain. I have to go to the doctor and have more x-rays done. I am currently looking for a chiropractor and I am wearing a back brace I bought from the pharmacy so I can walk around. I cannot currently perform daily routines.

Comment from: KBakes, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I'm a 16 year old female. When I was 11, I was diagnosed with scoliosis. They watched it for awhile, but soon My doctor suggested I go to my local hospital for an X-ray. They then sent me to the children's hospital. My local hospital sent me to the children's hospital. My curves were then diagnosed at 21 and 29. They had me in a brace that day. I wore my brace 20 out of 24 hours a day 7 days a week for two years. They were concerned I was going to need surgery. I was let out of my brace the summer before 9th grade. I've been out of it for almost 3 years now. I do experience back pain quite a bit. I've learned to work with it, I honestly felt alone when I had my brace, but I had my friend who had gotten the surgery to look too. And this year my best friend was diagnosed with it, and I met a girl on my volleyball team who wore braces and is getting surgery. It's good to know I can now be there for people who need it. And to know I wasn't alone, and I won't ever be.

Comment from: shannobrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My scoliosis was discovered in a routine school check, I was 11. My mom took me to a specialist and they wanted 5,000 for a back brace, we then found a hospital. This is an excellent resource for people with scoliosis, and they help at no charge if you can't afford it. My curves started (I have two major, one upper and one lower) around 10 and 12 degrees at that time. They braced me, but as a teen I refused to wear it. It would have slowed the progression but not stopped or reversed, but if you are young wear it, it will prevent a lot of pain when you get older. They wanted to do surgery when I was 15 but said I could not have kids if I did, so I didn't. I have a 12, 10 and 1 year old, the last one was torture on my back. I have been on and off pain meds for 10 years and now being told that my curves or both over 65 degrees, one shoulder and hip higher than other. I was told that because it is still progressing at my age, 33, if I don't have fusion (75 to 90 %) of my spine, my ribs will eventually puncture my lungs and that's not a good thing. So I am thinking about getting the fusion done in January 2011 any advice from people that have had it done I would love to hear.

Comment from: tee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I"m a 66 year old male who handled freight and heavy lifting all my life. I do not know the degree of curvature in my back but it is bad. I not only have scoliosis but my spine is also twisted on the axis. I just returned from my second opinion doctor's appointment. They want to fuse my last vertebra to my pelvis and fuse my entire back to the T9 level; not a good option for an active person. Currently I deal with the pain with pain pills, but I"ve been told this will just get worse. Surgery will make me pretty much immobile with continuing back pain, so I don"t see much good from surgery, at least I can bend over and do routine thingsā€¦ for now.

Comment from: Macd1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12 during a routine checkup with my family doctor. I had an "S" curve and was sent to a specialist and fitted for a plastic "body cast" brace. I wore the brace for 23 hours a day for four years to prevent the curves from getting any worse. I am now 28 years old and have recently been having difficulty with back pain. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to relieve the pain short of having surgery. I'm hoping to get more information on this subject.

Comment from: mrs hill, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 28 my and I got diagnosed in June 2010 by a pa. I have been to a chiropractor and he has looked at my back and x-rays and said my spine is curved at 35 to 40 degrees. Maybe more in thoritic part of my back so I have been to a family doctor and now for pain management they gave me cymbalta for pain and it's not working. They say it is severe but they have done nothing to help. I go numb in my legs and arms I can't sleep due to pain. I can't lift my 2 year old without dropping him. My arms just can't function at all. In the last two years my life has got worse.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 48, have probably been developing scoliosis for over a decade or more (thinking back that far my car seat was showing wear at a lean, though I stood straight and 15 years ago was bench pressing 300lbs). About 4 years ago I was in a bicycle accident and bashed a knee, broke at least a few ribs and maybe much worse- black and blue from neck to hip-but lacking medical care just limped home and healed over a few weeks, didn't even take aspirin. Over the next couple years my whole torso has twisted and now I have lost about 5 inches in height. Went to see a doctor at the VA and he looks at me and shrugs "scoliosis.... not much we can do." (funny enough he said except for my back I am in great health for my age- because I still ride a bike daily!)The pain is never severe but it's draining and I can't stand for more than a few minutes and it gets worse by the month. Just shoot me if I get any uglier, will ya?

Comment from: Newbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 47 and have had back pain for decades. Was diagnosed with lower back arthritis a few years ago and keep it at bay with a strong core. Today, I was informed that I have developed scoliosis and arthritis in my mid back. Got hit head on 3 years ago by a wrong way driver and will have my 7th arm surgery in 2 weeks averaging one surgery every 5 months over the last 3 years. Not sure if the scoliosis is a fall out from the accident, but am thankful for this source to read similar accounts for later-years development of this condition. I wish the best for everyone. One day at a time. Take care all!

Comment from: G-Mom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 66 year old woman. I have had scoliosis (as far as I know) since birth. All pics of me show my left side higher than my right. I only seemed to have a hip one side. Nothing was done when I was younger. During the years I have been told by physical therapists and doctors that I had scoliosis. I never knew it would cause pain. Two years ago I started having severe back pain in the lower and thoracic parts of my back. It has since progressed to my neck area. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 2 years and had 2 surgeries about 20 years ago. I am in constant pain in neck, thoracic and lower back. I go to therapy in a heated pool and it feels great but the pain returns as soon as I am done. I feel my best early in the AM, but it grows steadily worse as the day goes on. I have had surgeries, therapy, epidurals and injections. Nothing seems to help. If I go to an orthopedic surgeon - he wants to operate. Other doctors just want to prescribe meds. I take them sparingly, I've always resisted pain med, but at present time can't function without them. Two years ago I was a very active grandmother, now I have hardly any quality of life. At the present time - I don't know where to turn. I am depressed and stressed to the max over this.

Comment from: Lori, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Hello I found out that I had scoliosis when I was in like 3rd grade maybe 10 years old. I am 31 years old now but they kept telling me in school to go to the doctor and get checked well needless to say my mother waited too long so I started going to dr when I was about 14. When school kept calling I was very worried about this. So when I finally started going to doctor when I was 14 they said my scoliosis was too bad for a brace and that I need surgery before it s crushed my lungs, my spine and could maybe lead to death! So my mom took me to the Children's Hospital when I was 15. I had the surgery done. I think it healed me a lot I had to be in a body cast from breast to pelvic for about 8 weeks. I hated it and seems like it took forever to get back upon my feet, but it actually only took about 2-3 months to heal, but I wouldn't take it back for nothing. I am glad I had it done it saved my life. Now I don't know about that story about never having kids after the surgery but I have 2 kids 1 before surgery and 1 after they just said I would be on bed rest a lot during pregnancy but I was not I had a normal pregnancy for the most part, maybe a little more back pain than normal. My advice to anyone is that you have the surgery if needed so you won't have to go through what I did. My curve got over the 50 degree mark I want to say they told me closer to 75 degree, but surgery took me all the way down in the teens so it helped me breathe sooo much better!!

Comment from: Xanthiera, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My name is Gabrielle. I was diagnosed with scoliosis a few months ago. I am 15. We discovered it because I was having major pains in my lower back and my left leg. After having my doctor physically examine my back, she asked me to get an X-ray to confirm her theory. So far, there's nothing extreme, and I don't need to go through physical therapy or any of that.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Well, My names Monica. When I was in 6th grade there was a scoliosis screening at my school. The Nurses did not notice I had scoliosis, a few months later, I started feeling back pain, and I started getting a curve, so I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. I was going to get a brace on. 6th months later my curve increased and it got really bad, so then they said I was going to have to have surgery. So I had surgery, and 3 years later, here I am typing this.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 57 years old and was told I have scoliosis about a year ago, although I have had severe back pain (just on the right hand side) for about two years. I have been working retail for over 20 years now, so that I could stay home with my now, grown children. I used to be an active person and now, can hardly move; just to sneeze is a chore. I am so upset, I feel like a total failure. I am unemployed and need to find a job once again. I can only work retail now, that is all I know now, but not looking forward to all the pain I am going to be in.

Comment from: purplecreampuff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Last October 18, 2010, I finally got the result of my x-ray and my ortho doctor informed me that I have idiopathic scoliosis. He told me that it could be hereditary; I have an aunt and a cousin who also has scoliosis. I am so worried because my doctor informed me that my backbone will not return to its original form. I always suffer from back pain since high school. I am now 20 and a graduate of college and I am currently have a very stressing job.

Comment from: Freckles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 13. I had some back pain and in rubbing my hand over my spine, noticed that it felt off. I asked a school friend what she thought, not knowing that this friend wore night braces for scoliosis. She told me to bend over in front of my mom, and if one shoulder was higher, to go to the doctor. It was, and I did. I had a 48 degree angle with a 22 degree angle above and a 24 degree angle below, a triple curve. The top and bottom curved back toward the center, which made it more difficult to detect. I had surgery and the 12 inch rod implanted. I suffered a lot of back pain in my 20s and early 30s (I'm 46 now), but I discovered through Tae Bo (believe it or not) that lots of exercise -- especially core or stomach strengthening exercises -- keeps me from having any pain.

Comment from: ontario gal, Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just found out at age 32 that I have scoliosis. I was at a fair and did a free posture check. The person said that one shoulder was higher than the other, so I made an appointment for X-rays. I found out that I have a bend in my spine. I have been sent to a wellness center where I receive chiropractic work, certain exercise and evaluation reports. I will be back to normal in about a year! I have been having back pain for years. I hope this is the relief I seek!

Comment from: Tammy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 28-year-old mother of two. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis yesterday. I am seeing a chiropractor. He believes that by repeated visits and realignments that he will be able to stop my pain, headaches, sinus problems, and straighten my spine. I would suggest this to anyone. I want to be able to play with my children.

Comment from: joanne, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son has just been diagnosed with scoliosis about five days ago. We are really confused at the moment. He is only 17, and there is no family history of the condition. My husband and I noticed he was standing funny, leaning to one side, about six months ago and one shoulder blade stuck out more than the other. He has a 52-degree shaped spine. The doctor said thankfully he will not grow much more, and he is not in any pain. He has to go back in six months. We are still none the wiser, and we were given no information about this condition, which would have been a lot of help.

Comment from: Mrs.Valdez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi I'm 19 years old, pregnant with my first baby! I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 9 years old. I was treated for a couple of months but then my parents stopped taking me to the doctor. I'm not sure why! During my pregnancy I haven't had much pain but now that is the last month it's getting a little worse I think it's normal! What I'm not sure of is why I have scoliosis if none of my family members have any back problems! I used to be a big athlete maybe that could of caused it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 14, almost 15 years old, and I just started my freshman year of high school. I was diagnosed about two years ago with mildly severe scoliosis at a 40 degree curve. My school had done scoliosis screening in the sixth grade, and it was done by parent volunteers, so I don't think that was very helpful, and I think this could have been found earlier than it did. Once it was found, I was put in bracing just at night and given the option of surgery. I said, “I just want this out of me, so let's do the surgery!” My parents were nervous and said no, and now I will always have back problems. My right shoulder is higher than the left, so I only can wear T-shirts -- nothing like V-necks because they would fall off, and if you know what it's like being a high school freshman, you can understand my issue. Scoliosis makes me feel bad because I look awkward when I run and I've been called “special freak” for how I run and walk. It is very hurtful abuse that I will live with for the rest of my life, but I'm NOT disabled. I'm a normal person with a back disease that I couldn't control happening.

Comment from: chrissy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed when I was 13. My Mom noticed my right shoulder was higher than my left. After x-rays the orthopedic group specialized in scoliosis said scoliosis was too late for bracing and just monitor it.The upper curve was 26 or 28 with tourqing and the lower curve was 16. I didn't have much back pain till I around 18-I'm now 22 and recently had increase in back pain and went to a specialist for help. He just said exercise. When I questioned medication he implied I should not seek narcotics. I was wondering about anti-inflammatory meds since I have been using Advil for the past year almost daily and concerned about over use of it. I am looking for a better choice but no luck. I left frustrated and offended. While on vacation just a few weeks later, driving for 7 hours caused intense pain, weakness, numbness in my right leg and low back. I used my Mom's mobic and grandma's vicodin (only 1\2 tab am and pm with mobic am and pm for the next week and got relief. It has since occurred again but not as severe. I am only 22 and in college full time, not a drug seeker but need relief. Driving kills my right leg and low back now. I went to someone who specializes in scoliosis but was not treated appropriately.

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My scoliosis was detected by my pediatrician when I was 13 or 14 years old. It didn't really affect me much until the last year and a half (I am 50). My right lower back hurts when I sit for extended periods of time unless I put a small pillow behind my right lower back. My right shoulder is higher than the left. I haven't had any treatment for it and would like to know what types of treatment are available. I just want my back to feel better. I exercise and lift weights, and I notice that my right lower side is weaker than my left.

Published: July 12

I am a 55-year-old female who was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 12. I wore a Milwaukee brace for two years as prescribed by an orthopedic surgeon. I have suffered from muscular pain all of my life. Three years ago, my right shoulder began hurting so bad, I could not stand it. A few months into this pain, my right arm and hand started going numb and having bad spasms. Eventually, I could not use my right arm or hand. I went to a neurologist immediately and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. I was put in the hospital immediately because the neurosurgeon said that I was in danger of my bowels and bladder shutting down. I had five vertebrae in my neck fused. I regained use of my right arm and hand, but since the surgery, my lower back and hip are killing me. I am in pain every single day. The neurosurgeon who did my surgery as well as my primary care doctor say it is due to my scoliosis. I never had this kind of pain before the surgery! Also my right arm and hand are going numb again. I take pain medication daily and had an epidural steroid shot last week. However, nothing stops the pain. I now walk with a limp and am so depressed I don't know what to do. I have no quality of life anymore. I am very skinny and weak. I am currently researching a new neurosurgeon. I will try anything to relieve this pain! I feel for anyone who is suffering from severe scoliosis. I had no idea when I was young that my body was going to fall apart like this!

Comment from: Mary in PA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was diagnosed in the late 60's when not much was known about scoliosis and I had no real trouble until I hit my mid to late 40's, now I have constant low back pain, hip pain, spine pain, and burning sensations in my spine and legs. I can't work any longer and was denied Social Security. I live on prescription meds just so I can function somewhat normally. I wish there was the close monitoring then like there is today.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

It is my whole right side, is what I would say for years. I am 46 years old and have had pain on my right side for 2-3 years. Over a period of 2 years, I have had among other things, an MRI of my brain and told that everything is fine. I am perfectly fine, but should come back for another brain scan in 6 months. Changed doctors and had an x-ray of my thorax because of back pain, went to physical therapy for 8 weeks. Still wasn't informed I had Scoliosis. Pain and uncomfortable feeling resided always so I decided to get a copy of my x-ray, to show a Chiropractor. Was I surprised to see the report say scoliosis? Had no idea, I am starting to research scoliosis and will make an appointment with my MD. I kept saying it hurts right along here, and pointed directly to my spine area with the curve, but I also stated all sensations going into my arm and leg and my whole right side, it sent the doctors looking elsewhere I guess. I t is my whole right side is what I would say for years. Scoliosis explains a lot. I hope with this knowledge, I can maintain a better comfort level. I am a hiking and outdoor enthusiast, and hope to maintain that.

Comment from: shannondarby91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My scoliosis was detected though an x-ray and the doctor sent me a letter in the mail telling me I had it.

Comment from: soccerstar3, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hello! My name is Ellie and I am currently 13 years old. When I was 12, I went to my doctor concerning pain I had been having in my hip. I then told her about my sever upper back pain, so she had me bend over so she could look at my back. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis, at only 13 degrees. A few months later during the school screening in 7th grade, my scoliosis was noticed again. I went back to my doctor, and this time she had me get an MRI because my severe upper back pain is abnormal. The MRI came back clear, so the cause to my scoliosis and back pain is unknown.

Comment from: Andrea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My name is Andrea 40, I was diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 2. I have had 2 spinal fusions at age 2 and 10. When I was 21 I decided to have and anterior and posterior fusion with rods. All was going well until I turned 30. I had a urinary tract infection that i let go untreated which attacked my rods causing major abbesses that ate away most of my thoracic cavity and was inches away from attacking my heart. Moral of my story when you're sick and need antibiotics take them (all of them) It's not worth another surgery and weeks upon weeks of I.V. antibiotic therapy.

Comment from: Elena2011, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 9. At that time I came from Cuba without knowing the language and my parents were told I needed to wear a brace. However I panicked over the many changes of a new country such as the language barrier and did not want to have a brace. Now I am 60 and I have done yoga for several years, praying that I can live a few years longer with this crippling disease.

Comment from: Dr.kafel, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm a 17-year-old female. I was diagnosed with scoliosis six years ago. It's about 35-40. I refused to take the surgery. Instead, I do the exercises my doctor gave me. They're perfect. I really feel good when I do them (regularly), but my spine's never going to be normal, anyway. I don't worry about that too much.

Comment from: Have Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 42-year-old female diagnosed with an “S” curve at age 12. I wore a back brace for five years. I wore it 23 hours a day – I got a one hour break for a shower. It was very hard being an adolescent going through dating/teen years. I was upset to read that girls are not wearing the back braces because of being scared of their friends and what they thought. I wore mine: period. No matter what, I went in every six months for X-rays, and once a year I had to be fitted for a new brace. I was blessed to have parents that took care of this medical condition. I would love to reach out to the girls who are having a hard time with this. I understand. I try to stay positive about it. I do not wear certain clothes because it does show one shoulder blade sticking out. But I could have a lot worse problems. I don't mean to make light of this. It is very hard to deal with as a teenager, but life goes by so fast looking back!

Comment from: piepurr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My scoliosis was detected by our family doctor. I had a check-up then because of a fever when he noticed the curve in my spinal column. He suggested that I go see a specialist. I had therapies with a PT, then eventually with a chiropractor but the curvature worsened until it reached to about 65 degrees. I decided to undergo surgery when I was 16 years old right after my high school graduation.

Comment from: emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm a 14-year-old girl and about four month ago, I was diagnosed with mild-to-severe scoliosis. I have a curve in my spine of 26, and it is getting a lot worse. I was prescribed to wear a brace for 18 hours a day, but I don't because I don't want my friends and my boyfriend to see it and make fun of me and think I'm weird. I'm really nervous I might have to get surgery.

Comment from: suzie71, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

hi i was just in formed that my 12 year old son has it i was told when he was 6 years old that he had a curve in his spin but they never did any thing about it and now it has gottin worse to the point that one shoulder is higher then the other and his cest bone on the left side over the heart is sticking out so much you can see it and has started have back pain about 4 months ago and agin nothing was ever done by his doctor the new doctor he has now found the scoliosis and it seems to be the worst form of it i'm so scared and i'm at a lost as to why the doctors let it get to this point.

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My son is 12 years old. He was just diagnosed with scoliosis a few days ago. Although the diagnosis was set to be mild, he will need to be closely watched and also have future X-rays to monitor this disease. We have not had any problems or concerns before knowing about it, but we are very aware now. His doctor told us not to worry much. (We are parents, that's what we do!) The cause of scoliosis is unknown, but we will definitely watch him more closely as he ages.

Comment from: christine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis just today. I am really freaked out. My doctor said my right shoulder was higher than the left. I also had those school screening tests, but I don't know why they never figured it out. I really hope that it doesn't get worse since I am only a freshman now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was getting back pain when standing for long periods of time. My doctor asked me to get an X-ray of my back and, after looking at the results, said I have mild scoliosis. My doctor said regular back exercises will help. I am going to check and find out which specific exercises will be helpful.

Comment from: Dave .c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I played football for a long time and went to training one night and hurt my back. After going to my local doctor who sent me to have X-rays, he said that I had scoliosis. He said that I had the condition for some time -- maybe 20 years. I have been having massages and seeing a chiropractor for the last 15 years. Yesterday I was told I have structural scoliosis. Although there has been some improvement, I am still in pain.

Comment from: parissj1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis during my 7th grade year. I was about 12 then. I was told to wear the brace but because I was too worried about being made fun of I didn't wear it. I ended up have surgery the next year. I am a 30 year old mother of 3 now and have good and bad days. I do have difficulty breathing, trouble with my clothes fitting properly and standing and sitting for long periods of time. Sometimes I feel so much pressure in my lower back and legs that I feel as if I am going to fall over. Not to mention the fact that my legs go numb a lot. I take it day by day and pray that none of my boys or my nieces inherit it. It's good to see that I am not alone!!!!

Comment from: Delwar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 year old daughter told her mom the other night that the right side of her spine appeared depressed in comparison to the left side. She was taken in for an x-ray and was diagnosed with a case of Scoliosis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My scoliosis was detected when I was about 18 years of age, although my g.p said that I would have had it from birth. I have tried everything the hospital and g.p's have thrown at me and still no joy. I am now 54 and it is slowly getting worse with age. The hospital won't operate unless they really have to, so I think it's time to go back to my g.p and try and get me the operation. As the pain I now get is so painful that I just can't move and can last for days or weeks.

Comment from: flora1898, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

My scoliosis was picked up during a school examination, when I was 12 or 13. Unfortunately I was rather a prude and didn't want my mother seeing me when I was in the bath, so it wasn't picked up at home. I am pregnant now and wonder how the curve will affect labour.

Comment from: Karabear96, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have been having back pain for about 9-12 months and I went to the doctor for another reason and told him I have been having pain. He told me to bend over and touch my toes. I have never been able to touch my toes. He put his hand on my spine and felt it. Then he said I had Scoliosis. Then he said to go get x-rays and go to the orthopedic doctor. Then he said I had bones of a 10 year old. I thought, I am a 10 year old stuck in a 14 year old body. Now I have a back brace. It seems to be helping.

Published: April 11

My grandmother looked at my back as I was changing in a dressing room and she saw enough of my spine for her to be able to see that I had a curve. She knew about Scoliosis because she had it when she was my age. I ended up going to my doctor now and he said I had a double curve, I had a 'S' curved in my spine. He put me in a brace and 3 or 4 months later I ended up in surgery. While in surgery he saw that my bottom curve straightened out on its own once I was layed out on the table. So he only fused my top curve and 3 1/2 years later I was able to take my brace off for good. This past december I had a piece of my hardware removed and it's in a container in my room now.

Comment from: Dakotalex, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My doctor said after weeks of pain. Had I ever been told I had scoliosis before! She's been my doctor for the last 6 or 7 years and said basically there's nothing to treat it, learn to live with it. I found out more about Scoliosis on your website. Think I need to change doctors asap.

Comment from: dino, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Mine was detected in 1965 while trying on dresses-mine hung funny. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed. Surgery was next and done in 1966. He inserted two long stainless steel rods with lots of screws. He removed a piece of bone from my backside to even my shoulder bone and removed the rib from my lung. I spent one month on a Stryker bed, 6 months in bed with a full body cast and then 6 months with a full back brace. I live a full life turning 60 this year. Nothing stops me. I have no pain and never have had. I guess I had a good doctor and will have a good long life.

Comment from: cassie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

When I was 13 or 14 years old, my physical education teacher was screening everyone in the class for scoliosis, she asked everyone to bend over as if we were touching our toes, one by one she looked at our backs & when she walked over to where I was slouched over - she gently touched my back and whispered in my ear that I needed to see a doctor because she believed I had scoliosis. At that age I thought 'oh my god, does this mean I'm going to die?' I'm 37 years old now and I feel like I'm a 73 year old woman. The constant pain in my back doesn't slow me down though. I just keep on keepin' on!!!

Comment from: smucker22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14 years old. I wore a plastic brace that went under my chin down to the bottom of my hips. Now at the age of 46, I am having major difficulty with problems due to the scoliosis. I have tried physical therapy, pain meds, and chiropractic. Chiropractic helps when I have a nerve being pinched. Otherwise I am going through pain management and taking pain pills. No one has an answer to why I hurt so badly. I wish someone could help me; I am tired of the pain!!!

Comment from: jbfan1992, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My name is Tiffany. I have scoliosis. I was diagnosed my 6th grade year. When they found it my top curve was 52 degrees and my bottom curve was 60. I had to have emergency surgery. I couldn't do PE, or have a summer because I had my surgery July 24. I am not a junior in high school. I have a slipped disc due to this scoliosis because the rods are putting weight on my last vertebrae. I suggest that you have the surgery if it is bad enough where the doctor suggests it. It will help you out in the long run. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like CRAP! I think that it was worth it. Before my surgery I thought I would just deal with the pain later in life, but I couldn't, anyways it wasn't my choice to make. My parents couldn't take seeing me in pain anymore. So they made me get the surgery. I don't regret it at all. It's a lot to take in, but it was worth it.

Published: December 27

My scoliosis was discovered just recently after going to the chiropractor for severe back pain. I am 59 years old and it is just very minor at the base of my spine. I wear a back brace 24/7 and do basic stretches and see my chiropractor for adjustments and sensory treatment. It is much better and he feels we can control it with monthly adjustments.

Comment from: LadyMeh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 21 and have had a funny walk since I can remember. I've always felt that one shoulder tilted slightly downward, and felt the awkwardness of having one leg shorter than the other. I always disregarded it, until about two months ago my left side started to hurt. This included my leg, arms, and ribs. I recently went to the chiropractor and was told I have scoliosis. He thinks it to be trauma induced from a car accident when I was young, and I was not given proper treatment. The hopes are, with consistent adjustment and care, I can be relatively pain free. If you feel something off about your body and are too busy or worry you may be imagining it, just get it checked out anyways. Better to be wrong and get a clean bill of health than to let it go on and put yourself through unnecessary pain.

Comment from: demetria79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had surgery at 15. I didn't want to try the brace for 2 years! I spent two months in the hospital had a rod put in and a bone from my hip grafted in. I wore a cast from my chin to my hips for 6 months and a shorter one for four. Up until a year ago I felt fantastic! It might just be my age catching up with me but now I have some back pain. The kid thing is a myth! I have two! Thank god my 16 year old daughter has no problems! Truthfully, I would suggest surgery to anyone trying to make a decision!

Comment from: Kaitlyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am only 13. My scoliosis was detected the summer that I was 12. My doctor sent me to the orthopedic I usually go to. He told me that I'd be fine in a year. It's been almost 2 years since then. I started researching because I was having back and leg pain. I noticed my right shoulder, leg, arm, and hip are about 2 inches higher than the other. I started going to physical therapy, but all that did was make it all worse. I don't know what to do. We are probably going to go to another physical therapist, a family friend, and see what he has to say. I just want to know what the heck is wrong with me.

Comment from: rossk, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was 14 when I was diagnosed. My spine was curved at 62 degrees. One shoulder higher than the other. I had severe pain on my right side. I was immediately sent to one of the top surgeons. This was 25 years ago. Since then, I've had 3 sons now 12, 15 & 16. I had trouble carrying all of them and doctors said having them put great strain on my spine. I've since had another spinal operation 2 years ago on my lower spine. (Fusion and plate support) My 15 year old has now been diagnosed with scoliosis as well. Not sure the degree as we're now going through testing. It's visibly curved but hoping for the best.

Comment from: gonzo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My scoliosis was detected by a friend when I was about 14 years, had an x-ray and was diagnosed with scoliosis and was told one leg is shorter than the other. I am a female 24 years now. I have terrible back pains sometimes. The doctor advised me to start swimming and other exercises but it's not helping much. My right shoulder blade is more raised than the left one. It's scary and I haven't got any further treatment so far.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

When I was about 7 I went to the doctor and they told me to touch my toes and noticed my left shoulder blade was a little higher up than the right. About a week later I had an x-ray and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. Now 9 years later my curvature has progressed a lot and in about a month I'm getting surgery for it where they put rods, hooks and screws in your back.

Comment from: kemac, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I believe I have had scoliosis since birth, back in the days when this wasn't diagnosed or treated. I am now 82 years old. The discomfort is increasing but I have found some relief in an OTC back brace but it is so large (10" to 12" deep) that I have trouble putting it on and it limits my torso range of motion. I live alone.

Comment from: Stace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Mine was discovered when I was 8. My mom was fitting me for a dress and she noticed that on shoulder was higher than the other. She was diagnosed with curvature of the spine. No action was taken. Now 30 years later I feel as if my back is curving more. It is a bit scary and very painful.

Comment from: Vellies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The school nurse examined me and then told my parents to take me to the doctor to check my back. He did some x-ray tests and confirmed it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter