Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: flauter, Published: September 26

Hiccups for me are very painful, and none of the remedies work. They usually last about 30 minutes and then finally go away on their own. My daughter gets them the same way. I've also discovered when I get the hiccups they will usually resurface frequently over a couple days. Also wearing tight pants and sitting up straight in a chair seem to bring them on.

Comment from: Connie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was tested for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) about two years ago. I have the methane gas type. I tried the SIBO diet without much success, herbal medicines and then 2 antibiotics which I had to discontinue due to an allergic reaction. From morning and throughout the night I let out gas, mainly through opening my mouth and just letting it expel. Sometimes I pass rectal gas but not often. It keeps me awake for hours at night. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), constipation type and GERD. I have given up taking anything, nothing seems to work. I also developed Dercum's disease along the way. I am sure there is some connection. I hope they find a cure.

Comment from: ihurts, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had ingrown toe nail surgery 7 weeks ago. My toe is so painful I haven't been able to wear a shoe since. The top of my toe is beet red and blistered. I have soaked, use creams and ointments, gone back to the doctor who cut into it again to see if there was anything foreign. When the stabbing pains hit, it feels like it goes clear to the bone.

Comment from: MIKE D., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I was first diagnosed with scoliosis when I was in the ninth grade. I had a curvature of the fifth through ninth vertebrae. I wore an 80 lb. full body cast that started from the top of my head up and over my jaw down to my groin, and I wore this monstrosity for 25 months continuously. The spinal fusion took place in July 1965. I've noticed and feel it moving again. Good luck to anyone going through this.

Comment from: Happy scoli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had scoliosis surgery, with fusion from T2 to L4, including 2 osteotomies and laminectomies at L2/L3 and L3/L4. That's a total of 15 vertebrae fused. Stainless steel rods were used, 3 rods, 2 long and one shorter one, and several sets of screws, a few hooks, etc. That was 7.5 years ago and all is well. I had a brilliant surgeon who corrected me from 52 degree major curve and two 30 degree minor curves, with lateral listhesis (stair stepping vertebrae) at L2/L3 and L3/L4 to a 12 degree overall curve. My rotation is gone. The surgery was very successful. It took me 2 to 3 years to fully recover.

Comment from: buckeye235, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I stopped drinking over 30 days ago. I experienced mild delirium tremens and a lot of anxiety for a week or more. I drank upwards of 24 beer daily. Sometimes drinking rum straight with ice as a chaser. I did this for 16 years nonstop not counting the on and off heavy drinking since the age of 14. I am currently going on 57.

Comment from: marie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I believe you can lower your cholesterol without medication, it is safer for your health.

Comment from: B. Moloi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I count myself lucky because my mom noticed that spine curve when I was ten. She tried to get help for my scoliosis and I was referred to a hospital in 1977. Fortunately I was told that my spine will never get worse and then I was a tennis, basketball and soccer player at school. I never had problems, but now I have this nerve that gives me problem. But I still believe I will get help because my left foot has this weak blood circulation but thankfully I am still feeling strong and just started with the treatment with which I feel better already. One other thing, I was never operated but I went through myelogram.

Comment from: ladyrebel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My doctor sent me to the hospital, and they will draw blood every week for a month and then assess where we are, and if my blood count is down. I have polycythemia and my body is making too many red blood cells. Yesterday, they could not draw blood because my count was too low. The blood count had to be over 16, mine was 15.8.

Comment from: tshrop08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

In 2006 I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I have double major scoliosis which is two curves. It was hard to diagnose me because my hips were even because my two curves balanced each other out. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I finally was in so much pain I went to a specialist. I was then told I had a 35 degree top curve and a 65 degree bottom curve. She referred me to a hospital where I had to have emergency back surgery, I had 2 rods put in my back. After an 8 hour surgery I was in so much pain, and on so much pain medicine I still to this day can"t remember the first 3 days I was in the hospital. In 2012 at 18, I had to have the rods removed because I was in so much pain. I am still not back pain free and I won"t ever be. I've been told I need to "pain mange" but I don"t want to be on pain medicines for the rest of my life. I hate taking narcotics. But for the most part this has been a crazy experience, and I had to give up softball and any sport because I just can"t take the pain.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

In 1994 at the age of 35 I had surgery to correct my progressive scoliosis, which was then at a degree of 98. The surgery consisted of 2 eight hour operations, 5 days apart, i.e. 16 hours of surgery! The first op was to do preparation which consisted of fusions and the second was to insert instrumentation, consisting of rods and screws. Bone was removed from my hip to fill the spaces between my vertebrae once my spine had been straightened. Unfortunately, it was only straightened to 65 degrees for fear of over correcting but at least the curve has now been stabilized and will not deteriorate any further. After 17 of having a trouble free back, I work out regularly at the gym lifting weights and am as fit as a fiddle, thanks to the successful surgery.

Comment from: carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I went into a Milwaukee brace at age 6 for scoliosis; wore it 24/7 for ten years. I had spinal fusion with Harrington rods in 1976. My fusion did not heal properly.

Comment from: anagha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I was very happy to know my scoliosis was at an earlier stage. And my doctor preferred me to wear a brace. It was too big and horrible to wear. At last I went to another doctor and he gave me another kind of brace which was user friendly.

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 64 and was diagnosed with scoliosis only two years ago despite attending doctors, physiotherapists and chiropractors for years because of pain in my neck, shoulders and back. Cooking is literally a pain as is doing any craft, or house work. I cannot carry a handbag for any length of time. There are times when the only relief is to lie flat on the floor which can be rather embarrassing if I am at a craft convention. I was introduced to the new, young osteopath who diagnosed my condition and assured me I was not a baby for feeling depressed about the pain. It's the first time anyone has said, "No wonder you are in pain, the amount of work your muscles are doing to keep you facing forward". I now see him once a month, and while it is not a panacea, it does give me relief for a reasonable period of time, so long as I am careful.

Comment from: Mina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was suffering from Scoliosis 35 degree, but I started swimming, drinking milk and using calcium foods. My Scoliosis has changed to 20 degree now, it shows swimming and drinking milk was useful for this disease.

Comment from: shortstack, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was 14 when I was diagnosed with scoliosis. My grade 8 teacher called my parents and suggested I get a check up. At the doctors we found out that I had a 44 degree curve in my upper back. We met with a specialist and he said he wanted to keep an eye on it. By the time I reached high school my curve had progressed to over 50 degrees. The surgeon decided he wanted to fix it surgically since it had progressed so quickly in such a small time frame. I had been on a waiting list until my third year of high school. I finally had the surgery a month before my 17th birthday. I was extremely nervous, but I honestly think it was the best decision I made. I feel so much better and I am so much more confident because I look better. It's been 8 months and I do not regret the choice I made to have the scoliosis correction surgery.

Comment from: milakay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I am 19 years old and I have congenital scoliosis. When I was two, I had my first surgery, where I think, my doctor removed a bone from my neck. He told my parents to wait to do my second surgery at the age of 14. After that, I wore a neck brace as well as a torso brace for a year, then just a torso brace until I was 9. My parents went to a scoliosis convention and met with Dr. Newton in San Diego - he said that if he could perform the surgery he would. After a few weeks, I was scheduled to have my second surgery. What they did was remove small portions of intervertebral discs and fused them along with a small metal rod and screws to my spine. I remained in the hospital for two weeks and took some more time to recover. I could not physically exert myself and did not take regular P.E. until 9th grade. Before December 2011, I was under the impression that I was doing fine, and I am. But, after a visit with the doctor recently, I was informed that the top portion of my spine is at a 48 degree curve. This is because the area that was treated was at the top of my spine at the age of 9, but ten years later, I have grown some and the part above that treated has grown crooked. I am at a stage where I could go with the surgery or wait 5 years to see how much it has progressed. I am debating whether to do the surgery now or later, seeing as how many of my school plans will be distorted were I to do it this summer, but it seems that this summer is the optimal time to do it.

Comment from: mjbengal66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am 47 years old and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 14. I wore a brace for 2 years before the surgery. I have several rods in my back and I was in a body cast for 9 months. Today I have chronic lower back pain and I take painkillers. I use a wheelchair most of the time. I can't walk very far without experiencing a lot of pain and back spasms. I'm glad I had the surgery when I was younger. I felt great in my 20s and 30s. After the age of 40, my symptoms got much worse.

Comment from: selvi1209, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I'm 17 years old and last year around my birthday I started having acute pain all over my body. I went to my family doctor he just told me that I had bone inflammations at my rib cage and gave me medications for a three months long treatment. Three months later the pain was still acute and I ended up with have difficulties to walk and went to see a new doctor. He told me that I had fluid accumulation in my left knee and that I had to have injections done for the following three weeks, which I did. In the end of those weeks I had 15 injections done in all. I went to see a new doctor and he diagnosed me with osteopenia and scoliosis and that they were the cause of everything that I have been suffering from. Now all I can hope of is that my conditions improve enough to help me take my school finals.

Comment from: Cat, Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was in third grade when I was at a check up at my doctor for my asthma and he noticed a curve in my spine. I then went to the Shriners and they diagnosed me with about a 15 degree curve at the top of my spine between my shoulder blades. I started wearing a night time brace in fifth grade to correct my curve. I've also had 4 MRIs up to this point because I have a syrinx (pocket of liquid) in my spine and they monitor it to make sure it isn't causing my scoliosis and wouldn't have to be removed because it could cause serious nerve damage. I'm now 15 and my spine is at about a 48 degree curve but don't ever feel back pain so they are thinking of not doing the surgery since I'm almost done growing and he said the surgery would mostly be to fix aesthetics but the only noticeable thing is my shoulder blade that slightly sticks out and my shoulders tilted. I will only wear my brace for 6 more months and then go for another MRI but for now all is well. I also dove for 8 years starting in third grade and they said that all the exercise would help a lot.

Comment from: Rachel Lynn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with scoliosis around the age of 9. It progressed rapidly and I am now 14 and wearing a back brace at night. My curve degree is about 35-40, but might be more since my last visit was 3 months ago. I have had some really bad back pain around the area where my curve is, and I am getting it checked out soon. I like to read about the condition I have and get information on ways to relieve my pain, and I think this site definitely helped me out.

Comment from: Ggirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have scoliosis which I first discovered at the age of 14. I have had no treatment, but as I get older, it is getting worse. What helps me more than anything is going to the pool and exercising in deep water. I wear a flotation belt and let my legs hang down in deep water. I find as long as I go to the pool I can function pretty well and my pain is minimal. I wish I could tell you exactly what percentage my curve is. All I know, is the doctors are shocked when they see it on an x-ray.

Comment from: lindilou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had surgery in 1958 at Stanford University for my scoliosis. They took bone from my shins and fused it to my spine. I was in a body cast for two month (totally immobile) and then in a walking cast for 4 months. No rods or metal. It has lasted 54 years and now I find out that my lower spine has started to curve.

Comment from: Dudet 3.9, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I am 16 now but I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12. It was first at 11 degrees and one year later became 13 degrees. My doctor told me I was fine although I have my right hip sticking out. I was told just to practice sitting up straight and not adding to much pressure to my back such as lifting heavy objects.

Comment from: judgejudy, 65-74 Female Published: July 18

1957 I had an operation for scoliosis. They took bone from the front of my leg and put it in my spine. I don't know if there was any metal used.

Published: July 25

For my scoliosis surgery in 2010 they inserted rods and screws and the surgery was over 6 hours.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter