Patient Comments: Sclerotherapy - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects from sclerotherapy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Patiogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 61, healthy and slim. This is the 2nd time I've had sclerotherapy done, over a 10 year period. First time I had great results. This was a different but experienced dermatologist, as my 1st retired. She seemed to be in a hurry. The injections hurt, and bled. I developed ulcers at, at least 8 injection sites that took a long time to heal. It's been 4 months. They are now healed, but will forever leave a dark round spot. Legs look worse than before. I will never do this again.

Comment from: Sunshine , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a course of micro sclerotherapy done about 3 weeks ago. I revisited my radiologist yesterday for a follow up because I have complications, a small burn like mark on the outside of my leg just above the ankle appeared, it looks like a cigarette burn. It has been dressed but I have been told to also let the air get to it and to only put a pad on if I'm in a dusty area. I have been told to keep an eye on it, keep it clean to avoid infection. If not looked after it could ulcerate. I have to send photos to the doctor every two weeks so he can see how it is healing. It can take up to 3 months to heal. I'm very concerned and will make an appointment to see my general physician today.

Comment from: Annex, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I just got back from the dermatologist for sclerotherapy today! In preparation, I brought super tight support hose. I did not use any lotion on legs. I am not afraid of tiny needles either. The procedure is non-invasive and now I get to rest my feet up for a while. This was my 4th time receiving this treatment in the past 4 years. My job can be a strain on my legs. My legs will be heathy and beautiful again!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

Regarding results of sclerotherapy, I wonder how long it takes for spider veins to disappear.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter