Patient Comments: Scleroderma - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you used to manage symptoms of scleroderma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tommy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

A young friend was diagnosed with scleroderma, with Raynaud's phenomenon, lung scarring/shortness of breath and painful finger nodules. He was given prednisone and the side-effects caused him to walk away from any further medical treatments or doctors. Now he exercises to try to minimize lung problems.

Comment from: dont understand, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 10

My wife was diagnosed once with morphea and another time with localized scleroderma. It started right after hernia operation. She started to get these 2 to 3 inch long bands about where the incision was made in her stomach. She has been to several doctors and no one will give her medicine, were even laughed at her saying she doesn't have that. Well, any way we were given valium once, and then another time Xanax and those seem to help her with her breathing. She still has pain but not as severe. It seems to have gotten to her lungs and her heart hurts but these two seem to work for this but she can't get a doctor to prescribe her any, which is unfortunate because all I see is her in pain.

Comment from: Bug43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I've had diffuse scleroderma since 2009 and have been able to successfully manage my disease and symptoms with minocycline. I also take vitamin D3, which helped my muscle spasms. I started with 100 mg twice a day. Now I take 100 mg twice a day, every other day.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter