The symptoms of schizophrenia vary in quality and intensity from individual to individual, but delusions or a failure to recognize what is real is characteristic. The delusions of schizophrenia can cause hallucinations in sight (visual hallucination), sound (auditory hallucination), and/or touch (tactile hallucination). Other symptoms of schizophrenia include
- disordered or
- confused thought.
This can be associated with talking nonsense and disorganized speech. Both a decrease in social interactivity or being socially withdrawn and agitation are common. This can lead to other socially negative symptoms and unusual behavior.
Other schizophrenia symptoms and signs
- Decreased Social Interactivity
- Disordered Thought
- Failure to Recognize What Is Real
- False Beliefs
- Hearing Voices
- Nonsense Talking
- Withdrawn Behavior
Main Article on Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz.
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Examples of Medications for Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Aristrada)
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Abilify (aripiprazole)
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Ativan (lorazepam)
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Risperdal (risperidone)
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Thorazine (chlorpromazine)
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- Haldol (haloperidol) vs. Zyprexa (olanzapine)
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zydis)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- quetiapine (Seroquel)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter