Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
The symptoms of schizophrenia vary in quality and intensity from individual to individual, but delusions or a failure to recognize what is real is characteristic. The delusions of schizophrenia can cause hallucinations in sight (visual hallucination), sound (auditory hallucination), and/or touch (tactile hallucination). Other symptoms of schizophrenia include
- disordered or
- confused thought.
This can be associated with talking nonsense and disorganized speech. Both a decrease in social interactivity or being socially withdrawn and agitation are common. This can lead to other socially negative symptoms and unusual behavior.
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Main Article on Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz....
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- paliperidone (Invega)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter