The symptoms of schizophrenia vary in quality and intensity from individual to individual, but delusions or a failure to recognize what is real is characteristic. The delusions of schizophrenia can cause hallucinations in sight (visual hallucination), sound (auditory hallucination), and/or touch (tactile hallucination). Other symptoms of schizophrenia include
- disordered or
- confused thought.
This can be associated with talking nonsense and disorganized speech. Both a decrease in social interactivity or being socially withdrawn and agitation are common. This can lead to other socially negative symptoms and unusual behavior.
Other schizophrenia symptoms and signs
- Decreased Social Interactivity
- Disordered Thought
- Failure to Recognize What Is Real
- False Beliefs
- Hearing Voices
- Nonsense Talking
- Withdrawn Behavior
Main Article on Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz.
What Is Bipolar Disorder? Symptoms, Manic Episodes, Testing
Bipolar disorder (formerly "manic depression") causes extreme mood shifts and manic episodes. Learn about bipolar 1, bipolar 2,...
What's Schizophrenia? Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is the definition of schizophrenia? What is paranoid schizophrenia? Read about schizophrenia types and learn about...
Examples of Medications for Schizophrenia Symptoms and Signs
- aripiprazole (Abilify)
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- olanzapine (Zyprexa, Zydis)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- quetiapine (Seroquel)
- Rexulti (brexpiprazole)
- Rexulti (brexpiprazole) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- Side Effects of Invega (paliperidone)
- Side Effects of Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate)
- Side Effects of Invega Trinza (paliperidone palmitate)
- Side Effects of perphenazine (Trilafon - discontinued)
- Side Effects of Zyprexa (olanzapine)
- What Is an Example of Chemical Restraint?
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
Mental Health Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter