Patient Comments: Schizophrenia - Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your schizophrenia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: James, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

The most healing aspect of recovery from schizophrenia that I have experienced is friendship. At GROW we say, “Friendship is the special key to mental health.” Learning how to socially interact again, showing active concern for others, and caring for loved ones and pets is helping to heal me.

Comment from: Angela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My treatments for schizophrenia have taken a good while but very successful, I take Abilify medication, and I love to write poetry, and journaling my thoughts and life experiences! I go to church too. Also active in my church too. I have a positive look on my achievements and my future!

Comment from: mar, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I am a 16 year old teen and my mom is suffering from schizophrenia she's currently in the hospital, it's very hard to know that your mom is in the hospital while your home I don't see her most of the time but I always visit her at the hospital. The weird thing is that she doesn't hear voices like most of the people suffering from this disease. She just doesn't want to take the medication she refuses it. She stared to take it yesterday but most of the time she ignores me when I tell her to take it.

Comment from: Noemi, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 19

My daughter and son is suffering from this illness, both are left handed, and both have the same symptoms. My elder son started to have these symptoms at the age of 17 just like my daughter who just turned 17 last March 2011. I have four siblings, the two were normal, but the two eldest and youngest suffered from this. I worry too much with my youngest daughter now, early signs she can't sleep, she took olanzapine but her second psychiatrist change it to a lower dosage of medicine. My daughter keeps on talking by herself. And keeps of saying that she is possess by evil spirits. My eldest son is more hysterical. Moody and sometimes he is more wild. My youngest is calmer but keeps on talking alone as if she is discussing with so many people. Laughing alone and sometimes continues crying with no reason alone.

Comment from: CBDd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm 28, since I was 19 I have been dealing with schizophrenia, mostly negative type, also long term manic anxiety and finally insomnia. I take Seroquel, Risperdal and Artane at night, Buspar during the day.

Comment from: fred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am 40 years old and was first diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 26. It was a bit tricky situation because I had and still have olfactory hallucinations (I perceive smells too strongly, but real smell), and they at first thought it was epilepsy aura, so they started me on carbamazepine. Later I was put on Haldol without improvement. I only managed to get back to medical school after putting me on fluphenazine two years later. I have tried aripiprazole (Abilify) but could not tolerate it for causing hypotension-like symptoms and worsening my condition mentally. I am still on fluphenazine despite the extrapyramidal effects; the last episode I had was a month ago after six years free from the disease, probably triggered by excessive stress after losing my job and separating with my wife. I am still interested in getting a better drug that causes less sedation and no Parkinson-like effects.

Comment from: Liliana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I started having schizophrenia symptoms when I was 19 years old. I've been on a lot of different medications, including clozapine, which made me extremely tired and caused seizures. The best mix I've been on seems to be my current mix, an atypical and old antipsychotic...Seroquel and Loxapine, respectively.

Comment from: Galt54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 18. After roughly one year I began to be given chlorpromazine. This classic medication enabled me to recover. My mind "calmed down" and ceased to be overactive. I have lived a normal life ever since I was released from the mental hospital in 1974. In early 2007 I was obliged to find a new medication to replace chlorpromazine, for the manufacturer had discontinued the production of chlorpromazine.

Comment from: Linda J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have been on clozapine for my schizophrenia since January and have had some success, even though the weight gain has been a bad thing for me. I put on 25 kilos. I had already had excess weight from Zyprexa, which did not help me at all. I suffer from lethargy and find it hard to exercise, but I walk the dog every day, which is in itself an effort.

Coping With Schizophrenia
Comment from: Sadie, 13-18 Female Published: January 10

I'm 14 years old. My two cousins suffer from schizophrenia. One of them is not severe and he takes his medication regularly and is very calm. The other I can't see anymore because he is violent and is certain that me and my mother are out to get him. He has paranoid schizophrenia and often spoke of CIA agents rising out of the pond across from his house.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 21 years old and now I am 52. At 21 I was in hospital because I became hysterical and cried a lot. When in hospital I was given Haldol. I just wanted to go home. I felt better but had recurring symptoms, so I was administered several different drugs. Now I take symmetrel, haldol, and zyprexa. I am feeling much better, can proceed with my life, but I have noticed that I feel very nervous and don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel this disease is taking the better of me.

Comment from: vb, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My son has just been diagnosed with Schizophrenia yesterday he is fifteen. It started about 2 months ago. Thanks for this site which help me know more and learn how to handle the situation at home. It is encouraging to know that I am not facing this problem alone and that I can learn from what others have gone through. He is much better now and he started on his medication.

Coping With Schizophrenia