Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to communicate and pay attention. Symptoms of psychosis appear in men in their late teens and early 20s and in women in their mid-20s to early 30s. With treatment involving the use of antipsychotic medications and psychosocial treatment, schizophrenia patients can lead rewarding and meaningful lives. Read more: Schizophrenia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder. Learn more about the challenges of mental illness with the Schizophrenia Quiz....
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Related Disease Conditions
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that features schizophrenia and a mood disorder, either major depression or bipolar...
Brief Psychotic Disorder
Brief psychotic disorder is a short-term mental illness that features psychotic symptoms. There are three forms of brief...
Factitious disorders are conditions in which people pretend to have physical or mental illnesses when they aren't sick. These...
Psychotic disorders are a group of serious illnesses that affect the mind. Different types of psychotic disorders include...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Bipolar Disorder vs. Schizophrenia
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that share some risk factors and treatments. Symptoms of bipolar disorder...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Altered Mental Status
- Vocal Outbursts
- Catatonia (Catatonic Behavior)
- Loss of Speech
- Poor Hygiene
- Unusual Behavior
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Mood Swings
- Abnormal Facial Expressions
- Lack of Facial Expressions
- Schizophrenia FAQs
- Teen Suicide Warning Signs
- Nobel Prize - To Brain Researchers
- Schizophrenia Predicted by a Gene Variant
- Who Is at Risk Developing Schizophrenia?
- What Is the Chemical Imbalance that Causes Schizophrenia?
- Is Schizophrenia a Genetic Disorder?
- Catherine Zeta-Jones: A Case of Bipolar II Disorder
Medications & Supplements
- risperidone - oral, Risperdal
- risperidone - injection, Risperdal Consta
- risperidone disintegrating tablet - oral, Risperdal M
- aripiprazole - oral, Abilify
- ziprasidone - injection, Geodon
- ziprasidone - oral, Geodon
- quetiapine - oral, Seroquel
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- thioridazine (Mellaril is a discontinued brand)
- naloxone (Narcan, Evzio, Narcan Nasal Spray)
- lurasidone hydrochloride (Latuda)
- asenapine (Saphris)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Trinza)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- paliperidone (Invega)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine, discontinued)
- perphenazine (Trilafon - discontinued)
- iloperidone (Fanapt)
- Cholinesterase Inhibitors (Side Effects, Uses, Interactions)
Prevention & Wellness
- Is Evolution of the Human Brain to Blame for Some Mental Disorders?
- Massive Study Finds Same Genes Drive Many Psychiatric Conditions
- Does Mental Illness Raise Diabetes Risk?
- Young Marijuana Users Face Psychosis Risk
- Autism, Bipolar and Schizophrenia Share Genetic Similarities
- Schizophrenia Affects Brain's Communication Network
- Magnetic Brain Stimulation May Quiet 'Voices' in Schizophrenia
- Can Video Game Playing Cost You Gray Matter?
- 'Recovery-Oriented' Talk Therapy May Help Curb Schizophrenia
- City Life Tough on Teens' Mental Health
- Women Aren't Better at Reading People's Faces After All
- 1st Drug for Tardive Dyskinesia Approved
- Infections More Common in People With Schizophrenia
- Drinking, Drug Abuse Doubles Veterans' Suicide Risk: Study
- Blood Test Might Someday Distinguish Early Depression, Schizophrenia
- How the Neanderthal in Your Genes Affects Your Health
- Little Weight Gain in Pregnancy Tied to Schizophrenia Risk in Kids: Study
- No, Your Cat Isn't a Threat to Your Mental Health
- Many With Mental Illness Miss Out on HIV Tests
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Study Finds Genetic Link Between Sleep Problems and Obesity
- 1 in 6 U.S. Adults Takes a Psychiatric Drug: Study
- Demi Lovato Wants to Change the Face of Mental Illness
- Can Time-Release Capsules Replace Daily Pills?
- Can Teens' Heart Rate, Blood Pressure Show Ties to Mental Ills?
- Troubled Childhood May Boost Bipolar Risk: Study
- Prenatal Factors May Raise Child's Risk for OCD
- Homeless, Mentally Ill Youth Benefit From Housing Program
- Siblings of Schizophrenia Patients at Greater Risk for Same Diagnosis: Study
- Parents' Psychiatric Issues May Adversely Affect Some Children
- Could Slight Brain Zap During Sleep Boost Memory?
- Study of Teen Brains Offers Clues to Timing of Mental Illness
- 'Managing' Elderly Patients Without Powerful Antipsychotics
- Can Trauma Trigger Violent Crime in Mentally Ill?
- Mentally Ill Still Gain Illegal Possession of Guns, Study Shows
- Do Genes Help Determine Your Education Level?
- Genes May Link Risks for Pot Use, Depression
- Could Germ From Cat Poop Trigger Rage Disorder in People?
- Exercise Helps Ease Psychosis Symptoms
- Psychosis Plus Pot a Bad Mix: Study
- Schizophrenia Tied to Much Higher Risk of Suicide Attempts
- Scientists Uncover Clues to Origins of Schizophrenia
- Mouse Study May Offer Clues to Mysteries of Schizophrenia
- ADHD Meds May Raise Risk for Psychotic Side Effects in Some Kids: Study
- Brain Differences May Explain Why Some With Schizophrenia Hallucinate
- People With Schizophrenia Face Much Higher Risk of Early Death
- Brain Inflammation May Be Linked to Schizophrenia
- FDA Clears Long-Lasting Drug for Schizophrenia
- Childhood Brain Tumor Survivors May Have Memory Troubles
- ERs Often 'Safety Net' Care for People With Schizophrenia: CDC
- Vraylar Approved for Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Brain Scans May Take Guesswork Out of Schizophrenia Treatment
- Mentally Ill Inmates Prone to Violence After Release: Study
- Mixed Findings on Pot's Effect on the Developing Brain
- Can What You Eat Affect Your Mental Health?
- Omega-3s May Protect Against Psychosis
- Scientists May Have Found 'Marker' for Schizophrenia
- Rexulti Approved for Schizophrenia, Depression
- Smoking Linked to Schizophrenia
- Early Intervention Shows Promise in Treating Schizophrenia
- Are Too Many Young Americans Getting Antipsychotics for ADHD?
- How Amphetamines, Cocaine Harm the Brain
- First Generic Abilify Approved
- 1 in 10 Americans Has Anger Issues and Access to Guns: Survey
- Exercise Might Boost Mental Function in People With Schizophrenia
- Mental Illness, Homelessness Linked to Heart Disease in Study
- Mental Health Disorders May Shorten Life Span: Study
- The Promise and Perils of Brain Training
- Study Finds Need for Improved Schizophrenia Care
- Discovery of 100-Plus Genes Tied to Autism May Improve Treatments
- Researchers Evaluate Blood Test for Psychosis
- Stem Cell Research Offers Clues About Schizophrenia
- People With OCD May Have Higher Odds for Schizophrenia: Study
- Many With Schizophrenia Say They're Happy: Study
- Gene Discoveries Could Shed New Light on Schizophrenia
- Antipsychotics Linked to Lower Brain Volume in Schizophrenia Patients
- Study Sheds Light on Marijuana and Paranoia
- Premature Death, Suicides Up Among People With Schizophrenia, Study Says
- Schizophrenia May Raise Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Newly Discovered Gene May Shed Light on Certain Brain Disorders
- Schizophrenia Linked to Pregnancy Complications, Study Suggests
- Psychotherapy May Be Effective Alternate Treatment for Schizophrenia, Study Finds
- Crestor Tops List of Best-Selling Drugs
- Imaging Provides New Insights Into Schizophrenia
- Genetic Overlap Seen in Five Mental Disorders
- Pace of New Drug Advances May Be Slowing, Study Finds
- Google Search Trends Suggest Mental Woes Vary by Seasons
- Scans May Reveal Pre-Schizophrenia Brain Changes
- Antipsychotic Drug Use Rising for Kids on Medicaid, Study Finds
- Antipsychotic Meds Not That Helpful for Depression: Study
- Mental Illness May Raise Risk of Being Murdered
- Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression
- Is the Mental Health System Failing Troubled Kids?
- For Psychiatric Patients, Cancer Is Often Spotted Too Late
- Recreational Marijuana: Are There Health Effects?
- Experimental Antidepressant Appears Quick-Acting, Safe
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- Pot Psychosis May Be Gene-Related
- Weak Muscles in Teen Years Linked to Early Death in Men
- Scans Spot Brain Changes in Patients With Concussion Syndrome
- Schizophrenia Patients Who Take Antipsychotics Live Longer, Study Says
- More Evidence Linking Creativity, Mental Illness
- More U.S. Kids Prescribed Off-Label Antipsychotics: Study
- Could Your Genes Influence How You Vote?
- Father's Age Linked to Autism
- Older Antipsychotics May Work as Well as Newer Ones: Review
- More Kids Taking Antipsychotics for ADHD: Study
- More Drug Trials Needed for Conditions Affecting Kids: Review
- Genes Influence Whether Psych Drugs Lead to Weight Gain
- Serious Mental Illness Tied to Higher Cancer, Injury Risk: Studies
- Violent Shootings: Are There Warning Signs?
- Schizophrenia in Movies: Don't Believe Everything You See
- Family History of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder May Up Kids' Risk for Autism
- Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Higher Odds for Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Cat Litter Parasite May Raise Suicide Risk
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Weight Gain in Older Women
- 'Mindful' Meditation Tied to Healthy Brain Changes: Study
- Blood Test May Spot Genetic Disease in Fetuses
- Many Primary Care Docs Don't Know Long-Term Effects of Chemo: Survey
- New Clues to Schizophrenia
- New Clues to the Evolution of the Human Brain
- 50 Years of Data Confirm Benefit of Antipsychotics
- Children Usually Excluded From Clinical Drug Trials: Study
- Genes Associated With Autism Also Related to Schizophrenia
- Researchers ID Genes That May Determine Mental Illness
- Prenatal Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Motor Delays: Study
- 'Parent Training' May Help Kids With Autism Behave Better
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- Brain Development Harmed in Mistreated Kids
- Paranoid or Placid? Scans Show Pot's Effect on Brain
- Heavy Meth Use Linked to Schizophrenia
- Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia
- Antipsychotic Drug Risperdal Recalled Because of Odor
- Magic Mushrooms Drug Shows Promise as Therapeutic Tool
- FDA Reports Requip, Risperdal Medication Errors
- Mothers Play Important Role in Recovery From Mental Illness
- Study: Mental Health Is Top Concern for Youth
- Mental Illness Linked to Greater Risk of Death After Heart Attack
- Low Vitamin D at Birth Linked to Lung Infections
- ADHD: Genetic Mutation May Be Key
- Treating Depressed Moms Helps Kids' Depression
- Antipsychotics in Pregnancy Risky for Newborns
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Under New Scrutiny
- Study: Newer Antipsychotic Drugs Are Overused
- Schizophrenia Linked to Raised Risk of Injury While Hospitalized
- Vitamins D and E May Affect Dementia Risk
- Creativity, Schizophrenia Share Similarities in the Brain
- Working-Memory Gene Linked to Schizophrenia
- New Nicotine Inhaler May Help Smokers Quit
- Schizophrenia Linked to Early Death
- Scientists ID 3 New Candidate Genes for Schizophrenia
- Infection With Common Parasite Raises Schizophrenia Risk
- Genes Yield More Clues to Schizophrenia
- Invega Approved for Schizophrenia
- Depression: The Link Between Depression and Other Mental Illnesses
- Psychotic Depression
- Schizophrenia Gene Variant Linked to Risk Traits
- Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
- Dementia Patients On Antipsychotic Meds At Risk
- How Families Can Cope with Schizophrenia
- Intercepting Schizophrenia
- Schizophrenia: Childhood-Onset Schizophrenia
- Schizophrenia Facts
- Schizophrenia, Depression & Bipolar Disorder: Gene Hunting
- Mental Disorders in America
- Antipsychotic Medications
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter