Patient Comments: Scarlet Fever - Symptoms and Signs

What signs and symptoms did you experience with scarlet fever?

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My strep began suddenly with intense throat pain, then gradually whole body aches, headaches, and nasal congestion set in. The scarlet fever began 48 hours after the start of the sore throat, after I had begun antibiotics. At first I thought the redness in my face and chest were a side effect of the penicillin, but then I remembered that my daughter had scarlet fever and decided it fit the bill. It's not really sandpapery, but it is itchy on my neck. It's now covering my entire body except for my legs and feet. I still can hardly swallow and am sick to my stomach as well, although outright nausea is only slight. The rash does look a bit scary as it is so bright!

Comment from: Aust1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

The first time I had scarlet fever, I also suffered no sore throat but I felt unwell and was vomiting. Approximately 12 to 18 hours after the vomiting finished, I developed the rash which started on my chest and then the inner part of my wrists. It then moved down my arms and my back. At different times in my life since then the rash has reappeared. Sometimes with a strep throat and other times with the vomiting.

Comment from: Nic, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

My daughter 18 this time last year, was sick with high temperature and very unwell, but no sore throat, etc. She was tired, lethargic and had upset stomach. Rash started on her little toe and the general physician rushed her to hospital. Microbiologist consultant said her body was 'toxic' but did not know what was wrong. Only after a week in hospital when they noticed her hands peeling could they diagnose scarlet fever!

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

Unfortunately my daughter had no signs of strep throat prior to getting scarlet fever. Her only sign of scarlet fever at the beginning was abdominal pain on and off with a minor rash on her face. Then the rash spread quickly and her face got a bit puffy. The doctor did an automatic check for strep due to it being rampant at the time, May 2014, in our area and it came back highly positive in less than 1 minute. Then add in the rash that had covered her entire body at this point she was diagnosed with scarlet fever. Thankfully she doesn"t feel too bad and is now on medication.

Comment from: nanu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Out of the blue I became nauseous and vomited. I felt terrible the rest of the day and just relaxed. Over the next day or two I developed a rash on my arms that became very fine and sandpaper like and light pink in color. It eventually spread to legs, abdomen, back etc. I thought it was sun poison. As soon as my doctor took a look at me he said without a doubt "scarlet fever". I don"t remember feeling bad or having a sore throat at all. I was 42 at the time and never had strep throat in my life. Like I said, it was out of the blue.

Scarlet Fever - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your scarlet fever?
Scarlet Fever - Long-Term Effects Question: Did you experience any long-term effects from scarlet fever?
Scarlet Fever - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a doctor's diagnosis of scarlet fever.