Signs and symptoms of psoriasis in general include plaques of thickened, scaly skin that may take on a silver-white appearance. When it affects the scalp, associated symptoms and signs can include
- scaly, red, bumpy patches,
- silvery-white scales,
- dry scalp,
- hair loss,
- severe itching, and
- burning or soreness of the scalp.
As with other forms of psoriasis, the symptoms tend to come and go over time and may vary in severity.
Causes of scalp psoriasis
An autoimmune reaction (a process in which the body's immune response mistakenly attacks its own tissues) likely causes psoriasis. Environmental influences are also likely involved in the development of psoriasis.
Other scalp psoriasis symptoms and signs
- Burning or Soreness of the Scalp
- Dry Scalp
- Hair Loss
- Scaly, Red, Bumpy Patches
- Severe Itching
- Silvery-White Scales
Main Article on Scalp Psoriasis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Home Remedies for Psoriasis
Discover home remedies for psoriasis and help heal irritated skin.
Picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp
The scalp may have fine, dry, scaly skin or have heavily crusted plaque areas. See a picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp and learn...
Plaque Psoriasis: Top 10 Causes, Triggers and Treatments
Plaque psoriasis triggers a red, scaly rash of plaques on the skin typically affecting the elbows, knees, and scalp. Treatment...
Psoriasis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the mystery out of psoriasis. Take the Psoriasis Quiz and see what you know about the types, symptoms, treatments and more.
Psoriasis Types, Images, Treatments
What is psoriasis? See examples of psoriasis including the different types of nail, plaque, and scalp psoriasis. Learn about...
Types of Psoriasis: Medical Pictures and Treatments
Explore the different types of psoriasis such as plaque psoriasis, inverse psoriasis, and scalp psoriasis. Discover what causes...
Your Hair and Scalp Can Say a Lot About Your Health
Is your hair or scalp trying to tell you something about your health? Learn more about dandruff, scalp psoriasis, ringworm on the...
Examples of Medications for Scalp Psoriasis Symptoms and Signs
- anthralin (for scalp only) - topical, Dritho-Scalp
- anthralin - topical
- betamethasone/calcipotriene (calcipotriol) - topical, Taclonex
- calcipotriene - topical, Dovonex, Sorilux
- DesOwen (desonide)
- Diprolene Lotion (betamethasone dipropionate)
- Enstilar (calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate)
- Sandimmune (cyclosporine)
- Side Effects of Enbrel (etanercept)
- Side Effects of Rayos (prednisone)
- Siliq (brodalumab) Injection
- tazarotene (Tazorac)
- Trianex (triamcinolone acetonide)
- Types of Psoriasis Medications
- Wynzora (calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate)