Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and ears. Symptoms and signs include itching, hair loss, flaking, silvery scales, and red plaques. Treatment includes topical medicated shampoos, creams, gels, oils, ointments, and soaps, medications, and light therapy. Read more: Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Psoriasis Types, Images, Treatments
What is psoriasis? Explore psoriasis treatment options such as topical ointments, phototherapy, natural remedies and more. Learn...
Psoriasis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the mystery out of psoriasis. Take the Psoriasis Quiz and see what you know about the types, symptoms, treatments and more....
Picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp
The scalp may have fine, dry, scaly skin or have heavily crusted plaque areas. See a picture of Psoriasis of the Scalp and learn...
Types of Psoriasis: Medical Pictures and Treatments
Learn about the common skin condition psoriasis. Explore about the different types of psoriasis such as vulgaris (plaque...
Home Remedies for Psoriasis
Discover home remedies for psoriasis and help heal irritated skin....
Psoriasis: Top 10 Causes, Triggers and Treatments
Psoriasis triggers a red, scaly rash of plaques on the skin typically affecting the elbows, knees, and scalp. Treatment involves...
Related Disease Conditions
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot in the deep veins, and can be caused by broken bones, trauma to a limb, immobility,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Psoriasis is a long-term skin condition that may cause large plaques of red, raised skin, flakes of dry skin, and skin scales....
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition. Symptoms and signs include a red, scaling rash on the scalp, face, ears, and...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Dandruff (seborrhea) is a skin disorder that results from neither too much moisture nor too much oil. Dandruff can be treated...
Is Psoriasis Contagious?
Psoriasis is an incurable skin disease that causes reddish patches of skin topped with a thick layer of dry silvery scales....
Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp
Dandruff is a condition characterized by small white flakes that shed from the scalp. Dry scalp is simply dry skin on one's head....
What Is the Best Treatment for Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an incurable chronic autoimmune disorder of the skin that causes patches of thick, flaky, scaly skin, mostly around...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- Topical Corticosteroids
- adalimumab, Humira
- infliximab, Remicade
- etanercept, Enbrel
- methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- cyclosporine - oral, Sandimmune
- ustekinumab, Stelara
- calcipotriene - topical, Dovonex, Sorilux
- anthralin (for scalp only) - topical, Dritho-Scalp
- Soriatane (acitretin)
- cyclosporine solution - oral, Sandimmune
- tazarotene (Tazorac)
- efalizumab, Raptiva
- Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium, Chrysanthemum parthenium, Bachelor's Buttons, Featherfew)
- apremilast (Otezla)
- betamethasone/calcipotriene (calcipotriol) - topical, Taclonex
- methoxsalen (8-MOP, Oxsoralen Ultra)
- secukinumab (Cosentyx)
- alefacept, Amevive
Prevention & Wellness
- Psoriasis Meds Might Help Fight Heart Trouble, Too
- New Drug Reverses Hair Loss in Mice
- Cyndi Lauper's Psoriasis Battle Shows Her 'True Colors'
- Health Tip: Coping With Scalp Psoriasis
- Ingredient in MS, Psoriasis Drugs Linked to Two Deadly Brain Infections
- Health Tip: Spot the Symptoms of Scalp Psoriasis
- New Psoriasis Drug Approved
- Psoriasis Costs Americans Up to $135 Billion Annually, Study Finds
- Psoriasis Tied to Raised Risk of Uncontrolled Blood Pressure
- Psoriasis Treatment Choices Improving, FDA Says
- New Psoriasis Drug Shows Promise in Trials
- High Blood Pressure May Up Psoriasis Risk for Women