Patient Comments: Scabies - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your scabies rash? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tenaj, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 19

My cat was scratching and I caught scabies from him. I just saw my primary care doctor and he knew right away it was scabies and prescribed the standard treatment and cleaned clothes in a hot dryer. If you are itching at night scratch with a hair brush if you have to scratch. Don't use it on your hair after though. The dendrites in the neural axons spread out like tree roots and if you scratch with your fingernails you just hit a few of them. The brush will get all of the dendrites and relieve you for a while so you can get back to sleep. Also after you do this rinse with hydrochloric acid, witch hazel, alcohol, or vinegar; it will sting but you can sleep until the medication gets them. Diatomaceous earth is something I might try on my cat. Drink lots of water with it! Otherwise it is dangerous as it dries you out and your lungs so be careful with it. Make sure your pet has lots of water to drink.

Comment from: Sonny , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I think I got scabies from my dog because he has had a bunch of black pepper-sized things all over his tail in clusters for almost a month now. I had them for 10 days, they went away and come back a week later. Now there are things shooting out of the sores on of my skin and you get little lines. I get sores and there are little black things that hurt so bad when you try to remove them. I got a cream from my doctor and I've been using it for 9 days. It has not got better yet, my skin is inflamed from the things shooting out from under the skin and I have them from head to toe.

Comment from: Kathy R., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My grandson has a history of abdominal pain. He has runny stools, vomiting, severe fatigue, but no fever. This is not an everyday occurrence, but does occur more than 2 or 3 times a month. He is ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and is on Zoloft, omeprazole, Claritin and fiber. This has been an ongoing thing since he was 7 and he is now 15. Gall bladder has been removed. Normal testing doesn't show any blockages. At 7 he had 2 subdural hematomas from a wreck and we don't know if that has anything to do with his problems but this was about when symptoms started. He is being treat by a pediatric doctor and neuro-therapist for all of this, still no help. My daughter is at her wits' end.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I gave birth to my son in 1987 and had toxemia due to staph infection. I am 52 years old and still have it. I am miserable and it is very painful because I have all over my body, especially in my vaginal area. I have been miserable through the years.

Comment from: Staylor, Published: December 01

I have been hurting for past couple days and today on 11/30/2015 it has got worse. I have sharp pains in my chest and it hurts to breathe or lie flat down or on my left side. So I went to the emergency room to see what was going on and the doctor said it was costochondritis, and that is the worst thing you can ever have. I have never hurt so bad in my chest with really sharp pains.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

After being treated for scabies I wonder how long does it takes for the itching and dryness caused by scabies to go away.

Comment from: Jenniefl, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 23

In 2017 while pulling weeds, crabgrass, etc., I had little red pustule type bumps and accidentally scratched them. Once they were open they itched like crazy! I put antibiotic ointment on them for a week, but they didn't heal. I went to my doctor, she said it was a fungal infection and to treat it with Lotrimin or something like it. For 4 weeks I put the OTC medicine on with no improvement. She then called in a prescription for Diflucan, I took that for 4 weeks, it was mildly effective, but overall it didn't work either. In research, I found out that bat guano and bird feces can give you a fungal problem. I also found out about a tree that grows all over America, called the pawpaw tree; and that it is very effective against fungal problems. I ordered some pawpaw pills and after a couple of days I saw a huge improvement. It costs about USD 35, and will last about 2 months. I take 2 after eating breakfast and one with dinner. They can make you nauseous, but it does pass after about 30 minutes. I hope it helps you like it helped me.

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help!

Comment from: Outoftheblue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I believe I got it from my 6 year old son who lives with his mother. She mentioned he was itching, around the last week of March. After looking at him on April 4th and searching online I quickly came to think scabies. The burrows and tiny skin colored bumps in a line were present. He had had tiny skin color bumps around his waist band, side and back of neck, chest, lower back, and butt area. There were not too many all over, just tiny clusters here and there. The doctor did not agree with me and prescribed prednisolone for him. Around the middle of May, I recall a feeling on my skin like you would when pale skin first got sunburn (more like a hot burning feeling). It was not an itch at the time, more like a need to brush my hand across the skin. I remember standing in the shower a few days later and noticed my entire groin area was brighter in color like a sun burn. My skin looked like a rash at that time. Bumps were not visible, just a blotchy redness. It progressed. I noticed tiny bumps like my son had around the entire area of my boxer shorts and socks. I had bumps on my ankles. It was a few days later that I noticed more bumps in other areas, arms, on knees, behind knees, back, neck, between fingers, and chest. Best way to describe the itching is that as the days went by, the itching was more often and intense and nothing I did would make it go away. Lost a lot of sleep. I finally went back to the same doctor on June 5th because the itching got to the point where I was unable to sleep at night and now the doctor believes it is scabies. He prescribed permethrin cream for me and my son.

Comment from: JJ6, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

The only thing new in my life when I first noticed my first itchy spot was a new gym membership. About a month later it had turned into a rash and bites appeared on my other leg. Soon my hip, elbow, waist, tailbone were affected and a doctor diagnosed it as scabies and prescribed permethrin cream. My first application seemed to agitate two of the areas considerably. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was about an 8 with the itch. A few days later I was about a 4 in the evening. I reapplied to some sensitive spots but no improvement. I then did another full application a couple weeks later but no improvement. I ordered a natural product, which helped considerably with the itch immediately but they slowly began to spread again. This time, a month and a half later, it was not as intense. I had been bathing in sulfur soap, tea tree oil was of no help, and dabbing spots with isopropyl alcohol was helpful after showers. I finally came across a post about Nu-Stock. I was that desperate to try it. I mixed a 12 dollar tube with regular lotion and applied heavily for four nights in a row. In a couple spots where it began to sting a little I just applied more regular lotion. I wore sweats and long sleeve t-shirt to bed and was discouraged as a new rash developed in two areas. I kept at it and the rashes began to heal and the other smaller trouble spots began to heal. Constant clothes and bedding washing and reapplication of Nu-Stock for a week has made the biggest impact yet. Just one small spot I'm watching and zero itch. The smell is awful but after everything else I would start with this product before anything else. So grateful for seeing healing. There is a video on you tube and a few posts if you search. Please research yourself but in my case I'll rave about the stuff. Good luck!

Comment from: exhausted, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been dealing with scabies for almost 2 months now. When I first went to the doctor they told me I had gotten poison ivy. Then I went back because I wasn't getting better and then the doctor realized it was scabies. I had it on my hands in between my fingers, on my stomach, under my armpit, and on my thighs near my vagina. I got the permethrin cream 5 percent and I used the whole tube. My mom also made a spray of tea tree oil and the scabies on my hands had disappeared and were gone but that took a month. Then I noticed the area in my privates was still bad and had welts so I went back to the doctor again and got cream. She suggested that I clean everything; I have cleaned my sheets, bought new sheets and cleaned clothes, and I am hoping it goes away. It has brought me down and made me depressed, wondering when it will go away.

Comment from: Itchintx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Comment from: watersmelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

A friend's big dog jumped on me and dug a big hole in my arm. After healing it I noted a lump in the area of the injury and thought it was possibly a fungus caused by the injury. A couple of weeks later my arm was covered in red itchy bumps. I practice holistic medicines when I can and after another week I decided I needed to see a doctor. He didn't know what it was either, prescribed an ointment for scabies. I used it for a day and after reading about someone using witch hazel, decided to try that method. Lo and behold, all the little black dots on the cotton pad was encouraging that they were being removed from my arm. Now I'm back to therapeutic essential oils treating the wounds from these little critters. Witch hazel and therapeutic essential oils are the way to go.

Comment from: angel, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

I have been told I have caught scabies from my care home that I work. I have been given Lyclear cream and fexofenadine hydrochloride tablets to stop this itching. It is keeping me awake at night.

Comment from: aniee, Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I've have had scabies for at least 2 weeks and 5 days. The itch is horrible. But I went to a doctor and I have been prescribed with the cream permethrin lotion. Sadly, it hasn't worked for me as effectively as I would like it to. But I will try my best to use the alcohol, vinegar and salt. I'm starting to feel it in my scalp! This is horrible! But I really do have faith it will be cured! Not all hope is lost! Keep on fighting guys! It will pass!

Comment from: Bijouxsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I contracted scabies at the gym. I noticed a man with weird spots all over his legs and we were using the same machines. About four weeks later, I had a pimple-like spot on my forearm. I thought it was a pimple and squeezed it. It created a huge crater and only pus (or so I thought) came out. Then I began to get areas of irritation all over my body. The worst area was in my armpit – the itching at night was horrible. After two weeks, I figured out it was scabies. Here is how I got rid of them: Permethrin 5% cream. Change sheets daily. If I sat on furniture, I sat on a sheet and then washed it. I also got some tea tree oil and mixed 1 part tea tree oil with 4 parts vitamin E oil and coated myself in it every night for the past few weeks. I slept in full clothing, including socks on my hands. I also put tea tree oil in my hair, just to be sure. My husband and I reinfected each other several times, but eventually we got rid of them. I itched for another month afterwards, but stopped getting the red bumpy areas within a few days. This was the worst month of my life, and I spent nearly $300 between the doctor, water bills, bandages, and creams, etc.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I don't know where I got scabies. I have a friend who had lice and I sat in his car for a little while. I got red bites on one leg and used some old medication for lice that I kept when my husband had it while he was homeless 10 years ago. It went away and I was fine, until I put the same pants back on that I wore when I was in my friend's car. Of course, the pants were washed and dried, and were clean – or so I thought. Then I got bites on my shoulders and back. That was two months ago, and I have been using permethrin 5%. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I hope she gives me a pill for it. It's horrible to have this. I never had this when I was homeless as a teen. I am clean, shower daily, and I still have this. I will try the Lysol treatment. I have seen there is a natural treatment for it, but it is about $80. I'm thinking of ordering it if this doesn't go away. I do have three cats but I read that it couldn't be from them. I'd like to get rid of these soon.

Comment from: What's in common, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been infected with scabies for about three months. At first we thought they were bed bugs and I had professionals out to treat our home. I still got bites in the middle of the night and woke up in pain. I've experienced terrible anxiety and it's been like fighting a war. I know how all of you feel. My husband has not been infected, but we moved him into the guest bedroom and he's been there since. Show your doctor the spots or take pictures of the really bad spots. Wash your clothes and bedding every day in sulfur—you can find it at a drug store. Wash your hair and treat it if you need to. I'd like to know how we got these “monsters” in the first place? I had 80 bites on one leg. I have a dog and am around horses, livestock and hay in a barn every day.

Comment from: Kayli3254, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I'm 17 years old and had probably been itching for 3 months straight not knowing it was scabies. I had been to 3 different doctors and they all had different reasons, eczema allergies or just a simple body rash. My entire body was infected after several weeks and as you can imagine took forever to get into the dermatologist. I was shocked how quickly the doctor was to say scabies after she saw just one bump and how all three of the other doctors were oblivious the condition even after I pointed scabies out to them. She prescribed me with permethrin cream 5 % and hydroxyzine 25mg Safe to say with any skin condition I would go straight to a dermatologist.

Comment from: cvarrone, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

Hi my son is 10 months old and he has severe eczema and I noticed a couple of days ago he started to break out in little red pimples and I thought it was a flare up with his eczema. I took him to the hospital and they told me he has infantile scabies they gave me meds for him. A steroid, an antibiotic, and they told me to use Nix which treats head lice they told me to rub it on his fore head and his arms and wash it off in the morning. I followed up with her pedi and they gave me more meds. I called a nurse today at his doctor's and she told me it doesn't sound like it's scabies because they don't go higher than the neck. Someone please help my little guy.

Comment from: AR27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been itching for about 6 months now it is horrible I went to see a doctor and he said it might be an allergic reaction. I have scabs all over my legs and feet from scratching so much and tons of scars. I don't know how to get rid of this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Comment from: Jackie B, 65-74 Female Published: February 08

My husband and I went to Florida to visit a friend and some family for a 10 day period and stayed at a motel nearby. on the 10th day I started to get very itchy and even on the plane it was bad, however 2 days after my return I visited a doctor and stated it may be an allergic reaction to food, the doctor said it was scabies and prescribed Permethrin 5% after a shower with mild soap together with some Hydroxyzine 25 mg 3 times a day, I am still very itchy especially on both feet above the ankle. After reading some of the submissions I am a bit scared as my immune system is shot to hell from other illnesses.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had a rash on my body and been seeing my skin doctor and then he referred me over to a specialist for an allergy. I have had this for 3 months and my boyfriend has it also and it took a specialist to tell me he thought it might be scabies after I brought it up to him. My skin doctor had me on prednisone and 2 other antihistamines which were settling it down. I am now on Permethrin cream and it seems to be helping. It only has been a few days so far. It seems like this is very hard to diagnose.

Comment from: mimi, 75 or over Female Published: November 07

IContacted scabies 2 years ago. I never did figure out where they came from. I tried home remedies and went through 6 tubes of permethrin cream and after 6 months my doctor prescribed Ivermectin. This killed the mites but I am still itching where the mites were under my skin. I can scratch off the skin in the affected area and magnify it with a 10x magnifier and there are little black and brown specks that are apparently dead mites and excrement left in my skin. I will think the itching is better and if I get in my hot tub, the areas where I originally had the scabies will break out in a rash and itch like crazy. There are no new areas but just where they were before. I have no idea why the hot tub would cause this reaction except for the high water temperature or the vibration from the jets. This is the most miserable thing that I have ever had in my life. I am too embarrassed to tell anyone and have been afraid I would give them to someone else. I am still getting in the hot tub and it seems that the areas affected with the reoccurring rash are getting fewer. Maybe I will eventually get it all out of my skin. I apparently have a severe allergic reaction to the debris left in my skin.

Comment from: WestieLover65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I did one treatment of Premtherin 2 days in a row as the pharmacy directions were no clear. I went to see my doctor 1 week post treatment, she said I looked good, felt bad that pharmacy directions were not clearer. Dr. stated that the Premtherin really dried out my skin, most affected area is my collar bones, and up both sides of my neck. I went out and bought Aveeno lotion and liquid "soap" for extremely dry skin. However, I still have raised dry bumps in those areas that still itch. Should I retreat with the Premtherin? I like many others have been really affected mentally with this. I have no idea where they came from, husband has not been affected at all, I clean, vacuum, wash everything, bedding every day, all clothing and even my coat.

Comment from: Mimi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had scabies for almost four months. It started out in between my toes. Then they just continued to spread over a period of time. I started to try Aveeno on it thinking that it was eczema. The doctor kept saying it was an allergic reaction, so she prescribed me many creams that did not work. They finally scheduled me for an appointment with a dermatologist, which is when -- within 25 minutes of being there – I found out I had scabies. I have been prescribed medicine, and I hope this will finally rid me of the little crusaders.

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I first notice a rash on my arm. Thought nothing of it went out bought hydrocortisone cream didn't work also used hibiclens to wash thinking maybe it was something I had touched or an allergic reaction. No one else in the house (husband or kids) had the rash. After a week and a half I went to the doctor (about this time the rash had spread to my legs and now both arms). I told the dr I had the rash over a week and it itches like crazy he looked and told me my sweat glands we clogged prescribed some anti-itch oral medicine which I never filled. Waited about another week and half went to a different dr he took one look and asked if it itches more at night I told him that's when it is the worst. I felt like digging my skin off the itch was uncontrollable. That's when he told me it was scabies. I still have no idea how I contacted it. I work at a dental office with children the doctor said I must have gotten from there. I was just glad my children didn't catch it.

Comment from: honesty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I think Doctors don't really want to clear it up immediately. It brings money in for them. My doctor tried to give only one tube knowing it is impossible to rid of the parasite very first time due to still needing to wash clothing and bedding that re-infest you while touching these items. It also amuses me how some people say their doctor didn't know what it was after several visits at first. I think it's a money making scheme that's all, for the Doctors and the pharmaceuticals.

Comment from: tvkb0507, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I stayed at a hotel for four days and upon me arriving home the very next day I started to see red spots on my arm. By day two I was covered all over my belly, under and side of boobs and on my lower back. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with what I thought was bed bug bites it was actually scabies. The doctor said whoever stayed before me may have had them. I have no had close contact with anyone but my kids and they do not have it. I was prescribed permythrin and used it yesterday. Now it's the night after and I'm covered a whole lot worse. The Walgreens lady told me it's probably because the little demons are dying off. I'm so itchy I want to rip my skin off. I have used the dryer to help with the itching. I read a great thing to use is "Sulfur Soap" I read it not only kills them but also helps heal your rash/bumps/scars a lot quicker. I will be going to store and getting me some cause I cannot tolerate this itching any longer.

Comment from: Hassan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Since 3 months I have been feeling pain in my chest and left arm. When the pain occurs I start worrying about what is happening to me, if I am going to die, or if I am having a heart attack. I started to check my heartbeat. I went to 4 doctors, they examined me, I had an ECG, and all ok. Even those times while I am with my friends I feel pain in chest and arm and shortness of breath. I feel anxiety. I try to relax even during outing, but I can't.

Comment from: Jerryweb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

After 1 year and 4 months of mites living under my skin, I have exhausted all treatments. I said mites and not scabies because I believe that mites other than scabies are beginning to infest people. I moved to an agricultural area and contracted a severe parasitic infestation of skin mites. Permethrin did not cure them, benzyl benzoate did not cure them. Ivermectin did not cure them. I am currently on several oral medications albendazole, praziquantel, ivermectin, and for a skin topical application, 7 percent benzyl alcohol mixed in a mineral oil base lotion. The old rules for mites are gone, these mites infest where ever they want, anywhere on the body. The anti-parasite medications work well, but they did not kill all the mites. I still have mites on my face and groin. Benzyl alcohol seems to be doing a good job, but there is much pain when the mites are active. It is like they go crazy in the skin because benzyl alcohol works by suffocation.

Comment from: Fruitypebbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Severe itching under my breast, itching on my hands, burning rashes that appeared for no reason & my body was very hot in isolated. Three in a row bites (which are consistent with bed bugs so I delayed treatment and sprayed 91% alcohol. It felt like dust mites. i saw alot of what appeared to be dust particles around clothing that caused me severe itching! Appetite has also been suppressed as a result of mites. It also noticed that mites like to lay eggs on a crevices of your flesh. I am fair skinned bi-racial african American with facial freckles the bumps on my body is light brown & it egg nest on my back looks like a ringworm more so in a circle with tiny bumps inside (not in a ring)

Comment from: luv2sre, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have had scabies that I acquired from my mother in the nursing home. I did several rounds of premetherin cream but was nearly having a mental breakdown. A fella at the local health foods store gave me what I believe was the solution. We washed all of our laundry with Borax, used dimethicus earth (food grade) and sprinkled that on our carpets, bedding, mattress and pets and left it to sit a few days before vaccumming. We also used neem soap with each bathing followed by neem lotion and I would also put tea tree oil on the itchy areas. Wash your hair with rubbing alcohol if you feel itching and crawling on your scalp. We did this regimine for a few weeks and the dermatologist told me that surely I had eradicated them all with as much pesticide I had put on my body. He told me the itching would continue a while due to allergic reaction and putting so much stuff on my skin. He advised me to stop the premetherin treatments and give myself a few weeks for my skin to calm down and I should be free of scabies. I did continue the neem soap as it is soothing to the skin and voila! I was free! You can also spray peppermint or orange oil mixture ( I cannot remember the dosage) and spray your automobile and soft surfaces with this as well. We spent a small fortune but it was money well spent. I really feel the neem, DE, tea tree oil and alocohol and borax helped more than the premetherin to rid the bugs. Plus you can continue use of borax, de, and essential oils if you choose with no harmful effects. Good luck!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I too was recently diagnosed with scabies. After the shock wore off, all I did was question how I could've contracted this nasty parasite. I have not been sexually active for several years. I had been experiencing symptoms for about six weeks and finally went to my dermatologist. He prescribed oral medication which I have to repeat in one week. I truly pray that does the trick. I've never felt so disgusted in all my life. After washing everything I could in hot water, I used my shark steam mop with the attachments to do my bed and furniture.

Comment from: Marianne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had scabies for 9 months. I have used Permethrin and Eurax as well as Ivermectin. I am not a dirty person, in fact, I have OCD with cleanliness. I have shampooed and steamed all furniture and flooring (carpet, wood, and tile) at least 30 times. I have not slept in my bed for all this time limiting contact with all but a leather couch which is disinfected daily. I still have them although none of the rest of the family has been infected. I believe I contracted them from a hotel room. What else can I do. My doctor thinks I am not cleaning enough. I take two showers a day, one with an exfoliate.

Comment from: Samiiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Even though my rash looks nothing like scabies according to two different doctors, they are treating me as if it is. I don't feel any crawling. Just itchy and really sore. It's not on my stomach, back, head, ears or even my face. The rash is just on my elbows, bottom and vaginal area with a bit of spotting almost chicken pox look a like on the parts of my arms, legs and feet. The doctors have told me it's a rare case not to have it all over. Let's hope these pills and cream help soon

Comment from: jar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with scabies a couple of weeks ago. I believe I had it a long time. I have a rash on my scalp, finger, toe, calve, elbows, under my arm, and around my waste. It is extremely itchy. I have done the lotion four times and still have intense itching on my scalp and under my arm. My scalp is the worst!

Comment from: Goddiss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was just diagnosed yesterday with scabies. It's random painful needle-like pain. The itching for me got 5 times worse when applying the cream to get rid of the mites. I have more rashes. I want to rip my skin off my bones. Last night the itching and pain was so intense I didn't sleep a wink. My skin is very dry and cracked now because of the treatments. Oh, and don't look under the microscope at the mite, it's nasty!

Comment from: Sandpiper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I, too, don't know how I got these critters called scabies. I tried all the creams suggested by my doctor. They really didn't help. I'm covered all over my chest, back, arms, and my neck. I have some on my stomach, butt, private area, and legs. I've gone through many tubes of itch cream also. Finally my doctor gave me a prescription for Stromectol. I take two pills on an empty stomach and take two more pills in two weeks. I am also taking Zyrtec 10 mg one time a day and I put Sarna Medicated Lotion all over me two times a day. I have just started this and I'm hoping it helps. So far, today, it's not too bad, but it's always at night when these mites do their traveling. I've also washed my bedding in hot water. Hope we all have luck getting rid of them. You may want to ask your doctor about Stromectol. Good Luck.

Comment from: Worried mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My four year old was diagnosed with scabies about four months ago. We took her to the emergency room four times with the same symptoms: itching red bumps started on her hands and feet but eventually covered her entire body. She constantly itched and scratched. Finally we took her to a dermatologist who diagnosed the rash as scabies. It took two treatments a week apart of permethrin cream to cure her. I cleaned every blanket pillow and article of clothing in our entire house with Lysol and hot water. She is now free of scabies but has scars from the scratching.

Comment from: Onegina, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I used Sulfur ointment for about 3 weeks and it did cure the bug. Most likely, I caught it on the train, and boy, I suffered for about 2 months until I diagnosed myself with it (I'm not a doctor, I was a Biology student at that time) while reading a textbook on skin diseases. I actually found a mite at the end of the burrow! It's grayish-green and really small, I extracted it and looked at it under a microscope. My next step was to get the ointment - it's OTC in Russia, so I skipped the doctor visit.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Hi, I had scabies for around three months, caught it from my mum. You need to use the Lyclear cream on your head as well as body, in your hair (glad wrap your head) but not around your eyes, place in back neck and around ears. If they are biting around your eyes get the doctor to give you an antibiotic eye cream that has a low dose of borax and smear your eyes with the cream all at the same time. As for application times, do it once then three days later than a week later (to make sure you get all the life cycle). Change all bedding and clothing. I ended up leaving my home and staying elsewhere (with application cream all over me so didn't infect the new place), I bought all new bathroom stuff and new towels and cheap clothing for five days in new place. Also placed my entire clothing bedding etc in bags and left them for two weeks to make sure all bugs dead. It's a pain but it worked. The scabies bugs tend to run to your head to hide from body applications hence the reoccurrences!! Does not use the same pillow...even wrap them in plastic to sleep on them.

Comment from: Biancia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am sixteen when I first got scabies I was 15. It was around Christmas time last year it didn't start out very bad but then that changed. I got rashes. I had it everywhere we didn't know what was wrong but we went to the doctors ten times and saw 10 doctors until finally we saw the right one they told us that it was scabies and gave us this stuff to use and I had to leave it on for 48 hours without showing. I didn't like that part but then I got it back again they weren't even gone for that long. It was very embarrassing going to school of course I didn't know that I wasn't meant to and having it has made me lose so much sleep for a while we were wondering where it was from and how I got it and then we went back to the doctors a couple months ago and they told us it's from old mattresses and that you can get it just from sleeping in one for just one night but now this time I have it again and it has spread more than the first time and I so sore and tired my throat is hurting. I even got sent home the day I got it back because I was sick. I hope we find a way to get rid of it once and for all!! haha good luck everyone.

Comment from: cuddybear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I think I got scabies while I was receiving blood transfusion, I was bed ridden for 7 days without a bath or change of sheets, I don't know if this is where I contacted it or not. It started out with a few itching and got worse, after about a month I was itching so bad I thought I was going to tear my skin off so I went to the ER where they diagnosed scabies. I received a shot of benedryl for the itches and permethrin which I applied from the neck down, this is the first day I have used it, it helped a lot, I still have itches but not as bad, maybe I will be able to sleep tonight.

Comment from: Bernie 65, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My 14 year old son has just been diagnosed with Scabies and do not know how he contracted this condition. The itching is driving him crazy and I have had to cover him with lotion. Also he was prescribed with Anti Histamine medicine which will hopefully give some relief. I have purchased an anti allergy quilt for his bed and will have to treat the whole family with lotion. Treatment has to be repeated in 14 days time apparently to ensure that mites have been cleared so hope this does not re occur.

Comment from: diaz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been suffering with a rash on my hand and has moved to my entire body. It has been ten years since it started. And I have seen about 20 doctors in that time. I was told I had everything but scabies. Finally a country Doctor told me "you have scabies." That explains a lot. The doctor prescribed a lotion. I am looking for a natural cure as well to use after the lotion. I got this infection after buying a house that was in poor condition. We remodeled it. I didn't know I would get a bug from that.

Comment from: my dog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

i got scabies when i was hospital& the doctors office 3 years ago. they have little white sack attach to the scab and tunnel to find a male scabies then the female dies.i haved used every kind of treatment you can think of tree oil you name it i have tried it. my immune system is down because i have Lymphoma.

Comment from: sonia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was on three different antibiotics due to a stubborn urinary tract infection. I believe I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics, as I was itching like a crazy person. Two months later and still itching, having seen my primary physician, an acupuncturist, and two dermatologists, I am treating myself for scabies. It's odd in my mind that I get scabies at the same time I had an itchy allergic reaction to a medication. But, after reading some of the posts here, I am thinking that it's possible the mites are opportunistic and because my immune system was lowered due to the antibiotics, the critters just moved on in. (If someone can tell me otherwise, I'd love to know, since this is just a theory of mine.) My pharmacist said that cloth seats can contain the mites, and the seats on public transportation here in the SF bay area are cloth-covered. He also said cloth-covered seats in churches where homeless people spend time could be another source. I treated myself with the Permethrin cream last night, and will be scouring my apartment for the rest of the week and washing all my clothes.

Comment from: leanne, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I went to see a doctor four days after many red, itchy bumps appeared all over my body. I also had bumps around my nipples. I believe it started with a scab on my nipple, which is odd, and for a while I had doubts about it being scabies. I have bumps, but no burrows, mostly on my stomach and face, although I have some on my legs, pubic area, and back. I also have bumps on my hands, and some are appearing between my toes, but they are clear liquid-filled bumps. I looked this up on the Internet and it seems like pompholyx to me, which is a separate issue. I just hope this goes away as soon as possible, the bumps are so itchy and it is really embarrassing because I know everyone else thinks I have a really bad case of acne.

Comment from: Female Published: April 15

My daughter had swelling around her eye on the right side of her face although the rash was all over her face.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter