Patient Comments: Scabies - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your scabies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: VJTheDJ, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 24

I recently got scabies on my arm and my leg on areas where I had old insect bites which never fully healed and I had been scratching. I used permethrin cream (Lyclear) and it seemed to start healing literally overnight. However, worried about re-infection from anything in my house which may be infected I have also been applying clove oil. Seems great. Still very itchy at night but no new bites. Just found out it takes weeks to show so I hope my wife has not caught it but I have another tube of cream now in case. Well, hope I am ok now. Just got some rosemary oil too so will apply that too as my clove oil is running out. I am also taking anti-histamine which definitely helps with reducing the itching as it reduces the allergic reaction to the eggs and feces of the mites.

Comment from: chrissie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

Apple cider vinegar worked for my scabies. Saturate a clean kitchen sponge with the apple cider vinegar and leave on for a minute or so. Apply as often as possible.

Comment from: BuggerYou, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

Diatomaceous earth (DE) was the cure for my scabies. While my skin may or may not react a little to DE, I can assure you the alternative of the small bumps, crawling, itching and feeling you are infested with no way of dealing with them is not an option. I felt the latter symptoms prior to purchasing and using DE. My cure, on the first visit to doctor I was told to get over the counter cream. Needless to say a month later it got worse. Second doctor visit after a month of internet search, and I got prescribed permethrin 10 percent. On Friday I got at it applying head to toe, sanitizing hot wash with highest heat possible and dry clothes and sheets. After 12 plus hours of permethrin I washed it wash off and applied unrefined coconut oil after wash because it helps to fight the feces and dead mites stuck underneath my skin in their burrows. I repeated the same on Saturday. Sunday was a spot treatment with permethrin as I still did not use it all. I showered at least 3 to 4 times as hot as the shower would have it. When the hot water hits those parts the tingly and itching sensation could be overwhelming. No scratching. On Monday I used 100 percent food grade diatomaceous earth (DE). I still felt a little itching and biting but not that much crawling. I spread the DE all over, head to toe. I used it like it is baby powder, had a white film over my body, and sprinkled it everywhere, sheets, bed, floor, clothes. Every morning and evening I applied DE head to toe. Now it's Thursday and yes, still DE head to toe and sleeping in it while doing spot treatment with DE on top of head to toe activity. I believe they are gone but will continue treatment for 17 days because female grown-ups that can lay eggs can live for up to 17 days. Last thing I want is to experience this again but if I do, DE head to toe! I believe the permethrin is the reason for the small skin reaction. Doctor said only one application but I prefer the side effects over the scabies mites. Week two will be another permethrin 10 percent run neck to toe.

Comment from: wags, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

Those who are not getting any results from scabies treatment, please read this! I had tried everything, all of the creams and ointments, tea tree oil at 10 percent and 100 percent. Nothing worked. I tried the hair dryer and had some small success but they still came back. I had read that they are susceptible to heat so this is what I did. You may want someone to be with you while you do this, I got a bit faint. I drew a really hot bath, like as hot as I could handle, slowly got in and when I got used to it I added more hot water until it was only just bearable. I stayed in for as long as I could, submerged up to my neck/head and stayed in for as long as possible, probably 10 minutes. Be careful, I nearly passed out. I did that twice about 3 days apart and they are completely gone. Good luck.

Comment from: frankie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am not sure how I got scabies, and I was shocked when I went to an urgent care clinic that told me that's what I had. I used the permethrin cream prescribed, and got immediate relief, and thought thank goodness, this horrible itch is cured! Three days later though the itch came back. I got another prescription. Same thing. I started researching online, and bought Durvet's horse paste ivermectin on Amazon. It has been very helpful, but I am still getting new bites. I bought Martin's 10 percent permethrin on Amazon also, and am putting some in my laundry and making my own permethrin cream. I have done so much cleaning, I am utterly exhausted. Salt baths help, sulfur soap may help, but it's harsh. I have lessened the scabies on my body, but not eradicated them yet. Wish doctors would realize how hard they are to cure.

Comment from: relieved, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I beat stubborn, resistant scabies with the Indian neem tree. What a relief, I am a normal person again! No one who has not had scabies can imagine what a terrible parasite it is. It is 24/7 discomfort, embarrassment, shame, with occasional periods of itching that can drive you mad and literally make you want to set your skin on fire just to kill the little monsters. There is a cure that works so do not despair. It started with an itchy splotch about an inch long on my stomach, then spreading around in my waist and up, with little bites and more lesions. It is fairly well-known that the tiny insects are good at building resistances and tolerances to drugs and herbs which used to work in the past. I tried several things none of which worked. Here is what finally worked. After hundreds of hours of Internet research I read that you have to attack the life cycle. One thing that does this is a plant called neem, a tree native to India where it is used as a traditional cure. Dyna-Gro Pure Neem Oil Natural Leaf Polish is the brand of neem oil that worked for me, so that's all I can report on, although there are other brands. The neem oil doesn't kill them outright, but as I understand it, there is something in the neem that prevents the scabies bugs from reproducing. I put a two caps full of the oil in a hot bath, then swish in any kind of soap as a dispersant. A little goes a long way, so don't put in too much. Immerse yourself, including putting your head and hair back in the water, so your entire body is coated at bedtime. I tried to stay in the tub for at last 30 minutes or more, to give the oil time to sink into your pores. I did this nearly every night for about six weeks. Your skin should feel oily from top to bottom when you go to bed. Your hair will definitely feel oily. It is a hassle, but the bottom line is it worked. I tried Kleen Free too, and started alternating nights of doing the neem and Kleen Free bath. My recipe is 2 cups of Kleen Free for a full tub of water. Again, try to stay in at least 30 minutes. By Jove, on those nights I could sleep, no itching. I also started boiling fresh neem leaves (can be bought online) for about 20 minutes and then drinking the tea, a few gulps, every morning. I did try the neem powder you can buy at natural food stores, both as tea and in creams and baths. But only the neem oil in a bath seemed to finally work, and make it all go away for good. Alternate Kleen Free and Dyna-Gro baths, rubbing gently with a loofah, and start drinking just a little fresh neem leaf tea a day, or chewing a few fresh leaves if you don't have time. This should be done on an empty stomach first thing.

Comment from: habiba, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

I suffered with scabies for 1.5 years and now I am cured properly. You may follow these steps which are so easy and helpful. Most importantly stop eating all kinds of meats (if you are taking the best medicine but eating meat along with it, sorry you can't be cured! The reason is, meat increases your inner temperature which is bad, but you can eat twice a month). Eat yogurt twice a day but not at night (it will cool you from inside). Spread your clothes in sunlight so that the germ will die. Take bath thrice a week. Don't wear the kind of clothes we use in winter, but the stuff we use in summer is good. The mites takes 3 days to die so avoid the infested clothes for some days including your bed, but give some more time to bed like a few days. After a week resist the itch and don't scratch because it will be bearable now and you will feel relaxed. Surely you will be fine in a few days, take care.

Comment from: Tommy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

Scabies treatment is a 2 step process. First, a scabicide (prescription stuff is really expensive USD 50 for a small tube, and you will need to be treated twice, 1 week apart; or mix your own) 10 percent permethrin from tractor supply diluted to 5 percent with lotion, again use twice, 1 week apart. Second, after treatment, irritation is from dead scabies bodies and a person will be itching. Usually it is a minor skin infection (streptococcus), and Bactroban works best but OTC triple antibiotic will do.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I had a bad case of scabies recently on my back, stomach, legs, arms, neck and shoulders. It took 5 weeks with medication and home therapy treatments, but the itching has finally subsided, the bugs and eggs are dead. Now, the scabs and scars have to heal, which may take a couple more weeks or months even. It's horrible and really ugly. First I got a prescription of ivermectin and followed it for two treatments. This will kill them, but you will still itch like crazy for a couple more weeks or more. I also bought OTC lice topical cream rinse at the local CVS store and applied it every day a couple times a day or more often to all the affected areas and left it on. It's about USD 20 and it took two packages. On top of that, I went to Vitamin Shoppe and bought some sulphur pellets and dissolved three pellets under the tongue whenever the itching came on again, multiple times a day for about 10 days. This will cause constipation, so get some stool softener, too. To help kill the pests and the unhatched eggs, I bought some tea tree essential oil and diluted that in a spray bottle with alcohol and sprayed that on myself morning and night. I also bought some neem oil at the Vitamin Shoppe and used the whole dropper bottle in one week. I only used that at night because it doesn't have a pleasant smell. Don't be afraid to apply it directly on to the skin, believe me, you will want to do anything to stop the itch. It's too much to handle. I also bought some sulphur bar soap at Vitamin Shoppe and that helped. I used that diligently for two weeks. All the while, I'm also overdosing on Benadryl, but my system can handle it and it helped me get some sleep and get by at work. I did buy some Tiger balm at Vitamin Shoppe, and that did take the itching away as well as keep the skin from drying out. I kind of got hooked on that smell. Five weeks into all this, and I'm still a little itchy, but it's manageable. When I first got infected, I cleaned under my bed and my bedroom, mattresses, etc. I also sprayed down my home areas daily with bug spray that contains permethrin. Wash all your clothing in hot water after wearing and dry in a hot dryer, use a fresh towel each day and change your sheets daily or more often if possible. Now that this is passed, I believe the lice cream, tea tree oil, neem oil, sulphur tablets and soap did a world of good in addition to the prescribed ivermectin!

Comment from: clint eastwood, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I had a case of the scabies about a year ago. Hardest part was diagnosing it and surviving the itch. I literally wanted to amputate my left elbow which had a red hot rash encircling it. I didn't want to use the pesticide so did a tea tree oil treatment with a vengeance. Basically, I saturated the area with tea tree oil as many times a day as possible and had the little mites die off in a couple weeks. Not sure what exactly the tea tree oil does to them but it is effective. It had to be my all-time worst experience with a rash.

Comment from: Quechua, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

After reading lots of different blogs, I followed this regime to get rid of scabies. I used permethrin up to neckline first then washed, scrubbing under nails. I then applied a mix of neem, tea tree and clove oil in almond oil as carrier, every morning and night after showering with neem soap and shampoo. I also lightly sprayed oil mix on my hair. I changed bedsheets every day, boil washed, swapped my bed for an air bed for three days then back again and so on, vacuuming every day. I removed all cushions, rugs, throws, and bagged up for two weeks. I used permethrin again after one week continuing with above routine. I also changed clothes daily, wearing easy care clothes, and slept nude to save on washing. I also applied clove oil neat, to any itching. After two weeks of being meticulous in this routine, and smelling very medicinal, scabies were gone. Hope something in here can help you. Good luck.

Comment from: bentley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have scabies and have been using Dettol and tea tree oil. I put 2 caps of Dettol in my bath 2 times a day and put tea tree oil on of a night and it works. The Dettol cleans the skin and the tea tree oil helps to sooth my skin at night and during the day.

Comment from: MadScabies, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I have been put through the ringer for nearly 5 years and numerous visits to the dermatologist who kept telling me I had some kind of an allergy. I recently decided to find a new family doctor and am I so glad I did; he discovered I had scabies all this time which turned into severe scabies and very severe yeast infection from all the scratching. It started out as a very itchy rash with red sores on my sides and along the waistline with bad genital itching. So I set up date to see a dermatologist. First visit I was told it was herpes. I didn't believe that! Returned visit a male doctor checked, did a biopsy test which showed negative unknown, so the doctor told me I needed allergy patch testing, which took several visits. All the while I continued suffering itching severely, and unable to sleep. Patch test was negative but the doctor still told me it must be allergy to something around my home. He prescribed methotrexate low dose which tapered down the rash but it never went away. I took the medicine over a year until finally it stopped working at all and I had flare up over my entire body with red rashes and extreme itching, and open sores all over. I tried clobetasol creams, antihistamines, Aveeno soaps and bath soaks, changed to fragrance free All laundry soap, stopped using deodorants and colognes, tried eczema creams, Caladryl. I mean I tried everything on the shelf and nothing worked, it just kept getting worse and worse. My legs became scarred just from all the scratching and sores, yet I returned to the dermatologist for help again. I was seen and told it's an allergy and that clobetasol is the best cream they have. I told her it's not working and I'm getting these sores up the back of my neck and head now into my hair literally from my feet up to my head. The itching is not just an itch, I've tried to explain this that you really want to take a wire brush and scratch the heck out of it. Any kind of heat intensifies the itch extremely bad. I mean I have suffered a long time with this mess and was stunned when my family doctor prescribed permethrin. You take a clean, bath get out and totally dry your skin off then spread this cream, leave it on overnight, then shower the next day. I changed all linens and washed with a little borax in the clothes and linens. I sprayed our mattress down with Rid, put my shoes enclosed in an air tight bag for 3 days after spraying bug spray in it too. All along the whole time it's been scabies once I treated my body with the permethrin I started feeling better the next day but still had to do another treatment 1 week later to make sure it's gone.

Comment from: JAMN, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 05

I tried everything for my scabies; vinegar, bleach soakings, clobetasol, etc. I have psoriasis as well, so the scabies made it extremely difficult to manage the itching. You can re-infect yourself because of the itching because the mites get under your fingernails. The only thing I found that helped it was Tiger Balm. This ointment was the only thing that stopped the itching enough so I could sleep. With the oral prescription for getting rid of the boogers, Tiger Balm stopped the itching. It also started getting rid of the welts that were formed by the mites and also the scars from my psoriasis.

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I recently discovered little bumps on the top of my hands that itched pretty badly. They then started to appear on the top of my feet and worked their way up my arms and legs. I went to the emergency room (just moved and don't have a doctor) and she told me she thinks I have scabies. She prescribed me permethrin 5 percent like the rest of you. But I read here that vinegar and salt help. People, vinegar and salt do help! I got in the bath with no water in the tub and poured vinegar on my feet hands arms and legs. Then I took sea salt and rubbed it in with the vinegar until a white, almost foam, started to appear on my skin (mind you it burned very bad but only for a moment). After I let it sit on my bites and skin I turned the bath on and filled the tub up about a quarter full and stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes. Then after I felt that the vinegar had done its job I took a scalding hot shower (as hot as you can stand). When I got out I dried my body with a brand new towel from the dryer and then I put the permethrin 5 percent cream on my body from head to toe, behind my ears even; everywhere. I washed my sheets and put on clean clothes from straight out of the dryer and went to sleep. I woke up, showered off the cream and bam! The bumps on my hands are gone and the ones on my legs and feet are vanishing slowly. It will still take time for my scabs from itching to heal but I can tell that it definitely worked. I would highly suggest the vinegar. After work I am going to go home and do one more vinegar bath and wash my sheets one more time. I am really hoping this helps someone! I know how horrible these creatures are.

Comment from: pheonix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have suffered from scabies for 6 months. I just tried the treatment of alcohol, salt, and vinegar. It was the best!! I soaked a handkerchief in it and wrapped it around my arm for 5 minutes. My bumps were almost gone! Now I soaked my socks in it and am wearing them. It is amazing.

Comment from: Mr. Scabie Mite, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Ivermectin and a hair dryer cured my scabies after one full year! I tried everything else; cleaned house and cars from top to bottom, dusted everything with DE (diatomaceous earth), sealed unused clothes in plastic bags, high heat washer and dryer, permethrin cream several weeks in a row, hat sauce, hydrogen peroxide; you name it! I spent thousands on permethrin cream and ivermectin pills. Nothing worked! I took horse paste Ivermectin in a ratio with my body weight, bought industrial permethrin and mixed with water for spray on specific areas, and used a number 1875 hair dryer on areas that itched for as long as I could bear the pain instead of scratching! Finally, after one full year of agony these things are dead! I would not wish them on my worst enemy! I am out of work and depressed over the torment the tenacious little creatures put me through! All the money on earth is not worth losing your health. I hope this works for you. Peace be with you.

Comment from: rongalap, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I finally got rid of those little creatures. I tried several ointments and baths with borax and hydrogen peroxide for scabies. No success. I ended up making a paste of diatomaceous earth and olive oil. Scabies were gone in a week.

Comment from: Dnblalock, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have had a rash for nine months. I saw the primary care physician who put me on steroids, then did my follow-up only for it to show up broken out again. He gave me another round of steroids and sent me to an allergist because half was rash and half were hives. I was given hydroxyzine, Elocon, Singulair, cetirizine, betamethasone, doxepin and nine more rounds of steroids. I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) three times and finally the third time they admitted me for extremely high doses of steroids (only to go through an IV). Each release I had a new round of steroids, except the last time in I was put on a three weeks course of them. I was also given antibiotics since my sores were huge and infected. Hospital told me to see a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. Rheumatology did large amounts of blood work. Finally got into dermatology two weeks ago, only to be told it was most likely scabies, although none showed up under microscope after scraping my skin with the knife. I did the two treatments, essential oils and witch hazel. Still no hope for me. It turns out I'm allergic to the little bugs and that's why no one could make a diagnosis. The hives were throwing everyone. I have new breakouts and new hives. All my sores are exactly where they say scabies broke out, but the annoying things must like me a lot. I am about ready to jump into fire and burn these things. Seriously these things are crazy.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief from scabies. I was on fire till I did this; some older spots need rubbing alcohol. Soak the area with paper towel for instant relief, older spots affected may need more applications.

Comment from: jeanie phillips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Hydrogen peroxide works for scabies. Soak a paper towel and lay on affected area. You will get immediate relief although it may have to be done several times; the poor man's way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: SuzzBark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had scabies for over 6 months. I have been to several doctors. In reality the products prescribed only works for a short while. I have tried so many things but in the end only a few things worked for me. I bathed in bleach every night and applied my own mixed cream (citronella oil, calamine lotion and benzyl benzoate with a base cream. I recovered with no re-infestation. Scabies puts a person through agony and I check every single day for marks or bumps. Don't allow it to infest you again.

Comment from: lcase, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My husband had scabies last year, I did a little research and found that taking a hot bath with 1 to 2 cups of salt in it got rid of the scabies. He took a bath every night for a week and it cured him. But we had to wash everything with hot water or bag everything else for 3 days to kill all the scabies in the house.

Comment from: itchnomore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I figured I'd share how I got rid of this once I was figured out it was scabies. The telltale sign that you have this are the bumps in between your fingers and the intense itching at night. I tried every cream to stop the itching, nothing seemed to work. The only meaningful thing that stopped itching was a liberal amount of tee tree oil. At first I went to a sauna, as the heat is supposed to kill the mites. I didn't really work. Then I went to a dermatologist and received both the oral medication and the cream. That day I took the pills, bought new clothes for the next 3 days, separately bagged them, and applied the cream on myself overnight. The pills are supposed to work within three days, so I stayed in different hotels all three days. My plan seemed to work, as I only have crazy scars that occasionally itch, and this was 2 months ago. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Itchintx, Female (Patient) Published: November 20

However unconventional, this worked for me for scabies. I had several bites that were not concentrated in one particular area (a few here, a few there). As soon as I saw one, I'd pop the pustule and swab it with alcohol. Then smother it in toothpaste and cover with a Band-Aid. The toothpaste stung a bit. Doing this helped relieve itching and smothered the mite. I kept this up while treating and haven't had any additional issues.

Comment from: Perplexed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have suffered from itchy rash for 3 and a half years in my arms, underarms, groin, back of legs, chest. After 2 and a half years I started having severe bruising with the outbreaks. Itch drove me insane at night. I was lucky to get one hour's sleep most nights. Most times went a week or more without sleep then it was back on prednisone for the itch along with 100 mg Reactine daily. Reactine did nothing. I saw many doctors and specialists including 2 dermatologists who all dismissed it as an allergy even though an allergist said it wasn't. By chance I took a nephew to a walk-in clinic and the doctor noticed my rash and right away he said you have scabies. He'd seen it hundreds of times and a lot of it lately he said. He gave me a cream and said to repeat it in 7 days. Just did the second treatment. I am hoping this is the end of it because I cannot go on living like this anymore. My life has been on hold all this time. I'd rather die than suffer another month of this. I'm done. I figure I picked this up when I went on my very first vacation. I heard afterward that the hotel was one of the ones involved with some kind of infectious outbreak. I am just perplexed why no one picked up on it at the beginning.

Comment from: aznurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I went through the traditional treatment which included ivermectin two times, Kwell ointment two times and I found what worked best was from a feed store. I tried the Nu-Stock and it worked well, it is expensive. The feed store was out of Nu-Stock so I bought M-T-G, an ointment for horses. The main ingredient is mineral oil, then sulfur. I have been using it daily for 4 days and no more bugs! It is non-toxic. Good luck there is hope!

Comment from: BLOVE, Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I just tried the vinegar, alcohol and salt and wow! This stuff did dry these little critters up. I've rested for the first time last night. I work as a teacher and I believe this is where I contacted scabies. This just happened in June but doctors don't know to look for this. My doctor thinks I'm breaking out from a reaction to a spider bite. Nothing he prescribed worked. I scrubbed with a Brillo pad first. I thought of the person who said that the salt didn't work, so I exfoliated lightly and then I blotted or soaked in the hot solution. My next quest is finding a solution for clearing the scars. I'm currently using Mederma PM.

Comment from: J_R, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I got scabies from a stray kitten that was given to my family. Cats and dogs can both contract the mite and you can get them from touching the animals. I treated the kitten with LimePlus Dip prescribed by the vet. I then washed all bedding, blankets, pillows, towels, and clothing in hot water and laundry soap that had Clorox in it. I then let them dry for an extra 30 minutes. The heat should kill them. I took a shower in water as hot as I could possibly stand it, for as long as I could stand it, and am continuing to do so. I have been told to try witch hazel which can help with the itching. Also, a diluted Clorox and water solution applied to the affected area with a cotton ball can also help to get rid of the pests. If you continue washing laundry like that and showering like that for a couple weeks, you should get rid of them. This is my second run in with them due to contact with infected animals.

Comment from: Listeningandlearning, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I went through hell with the scabies. Followed doctor's orders to a T. At my wits end, I scratched all of the blisters open, filled the tub with hot water and added a lot of Clorox. Stayed in there adding more hot water. Blotted dry. In the morning my itch and my scabies were gone. This was suggested to me by a registered nurse. Thank goodness, it worked!

Comment from: Dorothy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My son brought scabies mites home not knowing how he picked them up. He was misdiagnosed by two doctors who gave him itching crème and antibiotic which made it worse. He scratched all the bumps until it spread to his entire body, including face and scalp. He has used one dose of the mite crème which was prescribed by a doctor after I did so much research and diagnosed it as mites. The crème worked a little, he will do the second dose this week, we also used every essential oil, sulfur lotion, and Nu-Stock (diluted) which worked well. These products seem to work but very slowly. I had witch hazel at home and tried it and immediately the mites came to the top of the skin and were being killed and wiped away with the pad. I picked this up also from treating him and the witch hazel made me feel creepy to see the black spots on the pad. I think we have turned the corner of getting rid of these things by using witch hazel. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to the witch hazel. This has been a nightmare to go through, getting them out of the house has been very hard. Everyone who reads this please go buy a bottle of witch hazel in the facial cleanser department of the drug store and try to find peace in fighting these horrible things.

Comment from: Jhulieteuk, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was once a scabies patient. The most basic and the most non expensive remedy or cure for it is a small amount of alcohol, salt, vinegar and very hot water. Mix it all up and immediately press into the affected area for just a few minutes. The affected pores will pop out since salt, alcohol and vinegar dry up and dehydrate the inflamed pore; killing it is that easy.

Comment from: Carlita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I got scabies when I used a public washing machine and didn't allow 20 minutes on hot in the dryer. I went to the doctor and took some medication and some cream. I still had the problem, so I went to the local pets store spent 8.00 on Harts mite shampoo for dogs and used it. The first time I washed very quickly (for pets they say leave on 5 minutes) and I was a lot better. I added it to my laundry and the problem was solved. I used a few times more (with no ill effects) just to be sure. Save your money, I'm on budget and this was traumatic for me financially and mentally. You can do this, it will be ok. I got a nice smelling coconut, not bad at all. Pyrethrin is the chemical that kills the mites-best I can offer. I was close to a breakdown over this. I wish someone had posted this solution for me. Good luck.

Comment from: Raquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I just thought I would let everyone know that is suffering with itching from scabies, there is hope. I tried just about everything; I've been battling with this for 2 1/2 months. Here it is cheap and easy way to be rid of scabies. Use Dettol antibacterial soap, rub it on body from neck down for itching and let it sit on your body for 8 hours. Itch is nearly non-existent, wear your clothes continue life; repeat next three days and it should be close to gone if non-existent. Hopefully this helps.

Comment from: surviva, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Permethrin does work but you have to be patient. I had a second application and also kept some in the tube for future touch ups on trouble areas. It can take up to 8 weeks to fully rid of it. Even after the 8 weeks you may experience an itchy rash from the use of the permethrin. This rash is different from scabies rash. It will itch but not in the same way scabies does. Also it is better to wash all clothes at a laundromat at once, air the bed, shake the mattress sleep on the couch for a couple of days.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

You may not believe this but I found a way to immediately stop the terrible itching for several hours. I washed the itchy area with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for a couple of minutes. Then magic, no more itching for hours. I also tried putting tabasco sauce on the infected areas. It burned terribly but it seemed to work, until a couple weeks later when I suppose the eggs hatched out and I started itching again. My home remedies are good, but not perfect. So I will try real medicine beginning tomorrow to get rid of these stubborn little monsters.

Comment from: BELIEVER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Scabies was 3 months of hell. Really. Anyone that's had it knows. I have a low immune system maybe why I got it much worse than my child (we think we caught it from the next door neighbor's dog, as they wrapped furniture outside in plastic and took off for 2 weeks and came back with shaved heads). Cost me $500 and lost work. It was a nightmare. I want to add ivermectin was what turned the tide after 3 months. Still doing most of the protocol. Still have some itching in eyebrows and scalp, which I coat at night with coconut oil. Works wonders. I also was spot treating any itch with an alcohol swab. Really works. Getting rid of this nightmare is like a full time job. Be vigilant. Bag everything you can in plastic bags. Treat and retreat. Diatomaceous earth is your friend. Buy food grade.

Comment from: h8tescabs, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 04

Ice and heat will put scabies on the run, and give you some relief, but it will not kill them out for good. I am still working on that. I have ordered some permethrin 10 and baby lotion to make my own salve. I will try to get back on here and let you know how it works.

Comment from: savannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Whatever you do, do not put salt directly to the skin and let it sit. I did this thinking that it would be more potent to the scabies mites, but it only irritated my skin even further. I am still trying to find out something that will work for me. Best of luck!

Comment from: Chriso, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I just applied vinegar and sea salt mixture to my husband for scabies and he says he really burns. But this is probably a good sign that it is working. He is in a very hot shower now and then we are going to the beach to soak in salt water for 15 minutes or so.

Comment from: jeanie p., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Rubbing alcohol soaked with paper towel brings immediate relief for scabies. I was on fire till I did this. Some older spots need more applications. It works; try it the cheap way to get rid of the sorry things.

Comment from: mikesays, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm going through an awful time with scabies. I went to the doctor and got prescribed permethrin 5% cream and hydroxyzine, it hasn't been working. I cannot sleep, I'm miserable, I am going to try a hot bath with Clorox in it. I'm hoping it works.

Comment from: MissC, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

One of my teenagers had a friend who kept getting re-infested with scabies, then re-infesting us. I finally had enough and told my teen to tell his friend to please bug bomb as part of the treatment (flea bomb his house). Along with laundering everything, vacuuming all carpets, encasing all bed mattresses with a hypo-allergenic shell (inexpensive through Walmart), and treating with the cream (we have to leave it on longer than directed or it doesn't work), the bombing finishes what cleaning misses. My mother's care home has just been diagnosed with an outbreak, and they have need of less harmful products. There's now a product line called Cedar Bug Free that looks promising.

Comment from: I hate Itching, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I got scabies from my grandkids. I have found that a 1/4 cup of Boric Acid 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 2 cups of warm water put into a spray bottle does give some relief. What I've read the Permethrin cream is a joke. Also tea tree oil works well, it just takes time. I don't believe a nuclear blast can kill this junk. Still itching.

Comment from: ashers909, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have no idea how I got scabies. I didn't really notice it or anything until about two weeks later. I finally went to the doctor, and I used permethrin. It has worked really well, and everything on my hands, elbows, and anywhere on my body in general, is gone. I'm still a little paranoid though, but the itching is almost gone, and everything seems to be healing.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: May 06

I have had scabies for about six months. I saw the doctor, and he prescribed permethrin cream. That worked OK, but I kept getting re-infected. I treated my shoes with insecticide, and that helped for a while. I found some encapsulated scabies in my favorite leather chair. I think this is how I kept getting re-infected. After I would sit in the chair for a while, I could feel them on my skin again. I used Borax on my chair, and hopefully it will kill the capsulated creeps.

Comment from: Vertige, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I'm still perplexed as to how I got scabies. I was in a long-term relationship that ended, and my partner and I still speak regularly. He has not had scabies, and I have not had sexual contact with anyone else, yet I can't get rid of it. I'm on my fifth tube of 5% permethrin (and a sixth one ready to go in a week's time). All this permethrin does is keep the scabies at bay, but I always get re-infected. I'm tired of cleaning the house from top to bottom to get rid of the scabies. I even tried sleeping on the floor for two weeks with new bedding and didn't sit on any of the furniture, and I still got re-infected.

Comment from: pros, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have what I believe is Norwegian crusted scabies; and caught this infestation about 5 months ago. At first I developed 2 crusty lesions on my back that itched and burned. Then they began making long "scratch-like” burrows (where they lay their eggs) mostly on my back, flanks and stomach. I tried many topical medications: permethrin, Kwell, and a home-made sulfur cream. These helped some, but did not rid me of the pests. I developed burrows in my vagina and noticed eggs and black larvae in my stool.( my fiance has been in the medical profession for over 25 years and has a microscope at home which we used to id the mites). Only when I began taking ivermectin did I start to have real relief; but the amount prescribed isn't enough to completely rid me of this infestation. I believe that the amount needed is more like 0.25 milligrams up to 0.5 milligrams per kg of body weight. With the technology that we have today it is ashamed that a mite is allowed to cause such misery.

Comment from: msMED, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 03

I am a medical student. Last October, I developed rashes with intense itchiness at night. As I was rotating in an OBGYN department and allergic to surgical gloves, I didn't pay much attention to it. Eventually, it became noticeable, and the itchiness became worse, which affected my studies. I consulted a dermatologist, and she told me that I had scabies and asked if anyone in my family had ever had it. I told her no. She then told me that the hospital where I'm rotating had an outbreak of scabies. She then gave me lotion to apply every two weeks and loratadine for itchiness. Still, it persists. I sought treatment again. This time, she gave me prednisone and betamethasone cream. After a few days, I noticed a great improvement. The pustules are slowly disappearing, and the itchiness at night is gone.

Comment from: lilone, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I was recently diagnosed with scabies. I am a nursing student so I had come into contact with many people. The doctor told me it was not necessary to tell my class of my new diagnosis because it has to be close contact, but I recently started dating someone new; and it was a very embarrassing thing to have to share. Over all he took it very well and understands and he himself went to get checked for it. I started the cream about 1 1/2 ago and replied it once about 1/2 a week ago. Unfortunately, I am still itching severely and have gone through utmost measures to rid myself of them. After reading this article I understand that it takes a while for the itching to stop.

Comment from: anonomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My husband and I had scabies for seven months before we found out. By then, I had infected my 2-week-old son. His rash looked so different from mine that we didn't relate them until he was 11 weeks old. All the skin problems that the whole family had suffered with was all cleared up with two applications of permethrin (5%) cream a week apart. I had the rash for most of my pregnancy. Since I was pregnant, it did not manifest itself on my hand but over my entire body. My doctor thought it was just a pregnancy rash and would go away after I had the baby, but it just changed. By the time we discovered what it was, the rash was moving toward my hands and improving on my body. My thighs, arms, and butt are covered in scares from the rash. The pregnancy hormones caused the rash to manifest itself in the opposite way it generally appears in adults.

Comment from: thereaintnobugsonme, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 04

I had scabies a few months ago and went to my doctor who said that it was poison oak rash and prescribed me prednisone. The prednisone made the symptoms go away, but the bugs were breeding like mad because my immune system was down, and I didn't itch. After a few months, I was infested and had them all over, even on the top of my head, I believe. I went to a dermatologist -- thank goodness -- and he gave me ivermectin. After two doses of that, I started to feel better. However, two months later, they started popping up again. I had not been sexually active during this time, so I know that there were still some who survived; I'm thinking the ones on my scalp. So I got some 5% permethrin cream and just completed my second application. Hopefully this will do it because this condition is utterly miserable!

Comment from: BUG HELL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I found out I have scabies so the doctor says. I work in a hospital and more than likely got them there as I have no clue where else I could get them. I was given cream to use and then use again in 7 days. Well, I have done the cream twice and I am still getting new bumps popping out.

Comment from: Trishia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have had scabies since I was about 14 years old I am now 28 about to be 29. I still yet have not found something to get rid of them but I just found out 2 years ago what it is. The doctors thought it was all sorts of things. At first it was just on my left knee for years and years and now the last 8 months on since I did my first treatment with permethrin cream, they are spreading everywhere. I have them bad all over my knee and now even worse, on my right arm and now a little on my left arm and my hands. And I just did another treatment and it is starting to spread down my leg and hands etc. It is horrible. It itches all the time and I am constantly washing my hands. But I have never heard of any of the things that you guys have tried. So maybe there is hope. I almost was about to give up on it but now I can't but now since it spread to my arms my little girl now has it and she is only 1 year old, and now my husband has also gotten it as well. But theirs is not a bad case yet! And I am not sure what do with my little girl because I don't know or think I can put vinegar, sea salt or alcohol on her like that as she has very sensitive skin I am very stressed out over it. And it seems like every time I do a treatment on her or myself they spread even more. I also have a cat and I don't really know how to go about treating him. And I don't want it to keep going back and forth I just want it gone. I have lost hope in getting rid of these things.

Comment from: Jay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

The best thing I did was finally go to the doctor after two years of trying to treat multiple symptoms of scabies myself. I quarantined myself and I was careful as much as possible to avoid contaminating anything.

Comment from: belleauwoods, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been battling scabies for months. I went to the doctor and did 4 treatments. No luck. I am a mess. I have cleaned and followed all the protocols for the laundry, myself, and my pets. No one else in the house has been affected. I am going out of my mind.

Comment from: AESK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

There are a lot of treatments that are supposed to get rid of scabies but they are all quite costly. I detected those little critters on my private areas about a week ago. As they spread, the itching increased considerably, especially at night. I read of someone using both Lysol and Bengay as a treatment so I thought I would try it after my next shower. Surprisingly the Lysol was cool and refreshing on my skin. The Bengay was not bad until it got too close to my testicles. It burned for a little while but that was all. The scabies stopped itching the next day and were totally gone by the third day. I am here to say that this treatment worked!

Comment from: Laura k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was horrified by the diagnosis of scabies and have covered every inch of skin with the cream prescribed by my doctor. About three months ago I attended a family picnic of about 70 people. It was hot and everyone was in tank tops and sweaty... didn't stop them from hugging. This had to be the cause. I can't wait for the itching to stop!

Comment from: Natalie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

My son was diagnosed with scabies about 1 ½ months ago. We used the cream and treated him twice and he still is miserable. We called the doctor again and he called in an antibiotic for him and a different cream. We have done this and took all of the medicine and used the cream and he is still miserable. I even gave him Benadryl and he is miserable. I treated the house as directed. We see a dermatologist in a few weeks. We could use some help before then, though.

Comment from: tleeg1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I noticed a small itchy area when staying temporarily at a men's shelter. I moved into a motel room but the itching remained. I went to the doctor, thinking it was bed bugs. I've had two rounds of prednisone, but we are all afraid of prolonged use of steroids. I have gone through three tubes of a prescription ointment. I tried loratadine and the rash seems worse. I am at my wit's end – I can't sleep. I put ice in a washcloth and that helps a bit. I've tried scalding hot showers. I think now its scabies.

Comment from: RhondaFaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Working as a nurse, I came in contact with this little bug in the hospital. I also use holistic medicine for most of my problems. I have found that dry wood ash is very effective against scabies. You can build a campfire outside and use the cooled dry ashes on your skin just like baby powder. Gently apply the cool ash powder on any bumps or itchy places as often as you want. It soothes the itching as well as smothering the bug. You can apply it to open sores as well as new bumps. You cannot see the ash on your skin, and it washes out of clothing easily. You can do this several times a day for at least a month; to be sure you're killing all the bugs. You can use it longer if you need to.

Comment from: Sharane Antonette, 55-64 Female Published: March 05

Not sexually active; work with a sizeable homeless population. I was at work when I had intense itching at the waistline. Checked at home and noticed one small red pimple. Itching at night, the next day, noticed spreading in a scratch pattern, looking like scabies of about 12 spots. Using a needle-nose tweezer I extracted the scabiei from each of these spots. In order to Id the extraction (examined under high magnification), found photos and this website--sure enough scabies. Inspired by the Lysol cure in one of these posts, I spread Lysol over the infected area. Prior to bedtime I coated the area with Ben Gay. When that was absorbed I followed up with a nice coating of Vicks Vapo rub. Next day: all the newer/lesser red spots were gone. Remaining are the initial spots, which were larger. They no longer itch and appear to be healing and no other spots have appeared. If this works, it's only due to the fact that it was nipped in the bud. I don't want to mislead anyone into a home remedy that doesn't work for them; neither did I want exponential, disease development, while I waited to see a doctor. If one spot turns into 12 into 2 days, think of what that would be in a week. Thanks, Lysol poster!

Comment from: itchy, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My husband had broken out with a "rash" that seemed to become worse with time. He had extreme itching, raised red bumps, and brownish spots that kind of looked like bruises. He applied steroid creams, but these spots would not go away. Then I started to notice spots on myself that intensified with time. I went to a local health department and was diagnosed with herpes. I took the prescribed medicine but it didn't work. The itching became unbearable, and the sores spread. After three months of physical torture, I visited a dermatologist and found it was scabies. I used the permethrin cream. It helped for a while, although it would not rid us of these vermin. So I asked the doctor for something stronger. We will see if they go away.

Comment from: Lori H., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I just got scabies behind my knee and on the upper part of my left leg. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and then rubbing alcohol to relieve the itching and stop infection. I then smothered the rash area with Vaseline, which seems helpful in an attempt to suffocate the little critters. The result is still unknown. As a precaution, after bathing, I get a new towel for next time. I may try a super-diluted solution of Clorox and water to see if that works, and then follow up with olive oil or vitamin E oil. The idea is to kill them and then smother the eggs.

Published: March 23

I went to my dermatologist for a rash that started on my bilateral inner elbows. It was accompanied by severe itching, followed by blistering pustules over a period of two weeks. My doctor prescribed me prednisone and diagnosed me with poison ivy. While on the prednisone, my symptoms subsided, but within three days, it returned with a vengeance. My upper and lower legs were full of blisters, and again, the doctor said it was poison ivy. I went to a dermatologist who said my doctor was wrong, and I had scabies. Two weeks later, I finally applied the right cream. I'm a nurse and have seen scabies at the nursing home where I used to work. It can be a very different-appearing disease at any given stage. It is always somewhat rash-like, and raised, and almost always pin-pointed. And it itches like heck! It doesn't always sit in the palms and webs of the toes as people think, and it is difficult to properly diagnosis. It can take several weeks of misdiagnosing before someone realizes it's scabies. If you are not seizure prone, do yourself a favor and beg your doctor to prescribe you a cream for treatment. It works!

Comment from: Lee, Male Published: February 11

I had scabies last year and got misdiagnosed. My doctor thought it was impetigo and prescribed me antibiotics, which of course, did no good. I found it quite hard to get rid of the things but none of even my close friends caught it off me, which was a plus I guess!

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: October 13

My brother has scabies and I think it's so gross. I had to use the same washing machine as him and was worried that I may contract the scabies and possibly transfer it to my boyfriend. However, after reading the material on this site I think it should be okay as scabies do not live too long off of the body host.

Published: June 06

I had scabies on my feet and I soaked them in hot water as hot as I could stand it and a bottle of LYSOL. The next day the scabies were gone. NO JOKE!

Comment from: rick22rt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had an outbreak of scabies five months ago that was very severe. I had painful sores and itching at night. After a couple of days, I went to the doctor and got permethrin. It worked ... sort of.

Comment from: Nolia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I just got back from the dermatologist today and was diagnosed with scabies. I believe I cried for a good hour, just the thought of little mites all over my body creeps me out. I've had scabies for the past 3 months now. First I thought it was just a rash on my hands & then my hands started to itch. I thought I was just dry so I applied lotion more than usual. Then it started spreading all over my body especially on my stomach. I was prescribed permethrin cream 5% & hydroxyzine (for the itching). Hopefully this works on me. It seems like it doesn't work on some people. I don't know how this happened to me. I just hope no one catches it from me, I would feel horrible.

Comment from: tiredofnavymedical, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am in the military and upon returning from my deployment in Iraq I noticed some itchy bumps on my skin. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed for scabies. Permethrin was prescribed to me. Over a period of a couple weeks I went through the entire bottle of cream. So I went back to the doctor. He prescribed me 2 more bottles of cream and told me to use it daily until they were gone. I used the cream until it was gone. Still no relief. So I go back to see doctor. I am then prescribed Ivermectin to take one time and doctor said I should feel relief within a couple weeks. 3 weeks later I still have an itchy rash on my forearms, neck and lower legs.

Published: February 05

After seeing a dermatologist he told me I had scabies most likely because of the severe itching and bumps on my wrist, legs, and buttocks. He prescribed me PERMETHRIN cream 5% and I left it on for about 10 hours. I changed my sheets but failed to wash some clothes and the itching and symptoms never went away. It has been about 3 weeks since my first dose so I am going to use the cream again and wash everything I have come in contact with.

Comment from: Isabella schuh-cast, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I thought scabies were something you get when you are not clean, I think I'm very hygienic and I still caught them, but I probably would not have never thought they were scabies I thought they were sweat pimples they started under my belly button then really got to my arms and my wrists it was really horrible because my whole body became itchy but then I bought a bottle of LYCLEAR and washed all my linen the itchiness still persisted for a couple of days afterwards, but apparently that was normal now I am scabie free.

Comment from: pissedoffpatient, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just recently diagnosed with scabies, and it is horrible. I was prescribed permethrin and I am praying that it works. I live with my two kids and fiance, and I am the only one that has any symptoms. Although everybody else in the house will also have to use the medication. It's all just such a hassle, having to use the cream on myself and children, and having to disinfect everything. It just makes me so mad that we're such clean people and dirty people that are your neighbors give you some crap like this.

Comment from: Embarrassed, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I'm itching all over my body this late at nite and so is my daughter and husband....so I decided to look up why, because literally this has been goin on for a week and I got so grossed out that we might have scabies. I just finished taking a shower and sprayed an acne treatment and put some acne cream...it stopped our itching for tonight but I'm still hoping they go away. I may try rubbing alcohol and acne cream.

Comment from: mystery of scabies, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My three year old son had scabies for two months and his doctor thought it was eczema. Then he thought it was an allergic reaction, but it was scabies. I hope permethrin 5% cream can cure the scabies.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter