Patient Comments: Scabies - How It's Contracted

How did you contract your scabies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Desperate help me, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

I'm 54 and have taken care of my mom for 2 months. I had no idea she had scabies when I brought her home. I have tried everything to get rid of them. Topical creams and internal medicines don't seem to have any effect on them. They are eating me alive and have taken over my life. I'm under attack from all sides. I'm unemployed and don't have health insurance. I don't know how much longer I can go through this.

Comment from: litttlemama, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have scabies and the only way I could have gotten it was at a hair cutting business. They put a tiny piece of paper around your neck and then that plastic cape. That's where I got it first, on my neck, so beware men, women and children!

Comment from: Ethel S., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I'm a foster parent and I kept a 3 month old baby for one week because his foster mother went on vacation. The foster mother told me that the baby had a rash but she didn't know what it was. She thought maybe it was eczema but it wasn't. The condition was also making her itch and she showed me a few healed scars. I came home with the baby and when it became night time to put him to bed I noticed he had broken out with scabies all over his body. He went back home but now I'm itching. I was prescribed permethrin but it's not helping me.

Comment from: Outoftheblue, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I believe I got it from my 6 year old son who lives with his mother. She mentioned he was itching around the last week of March. After looking at him on April 4th and searching online I quickly came to think scabies. The burrows and tiny skin colored bumps in a line were present. I finally went back to the same doctor on June 5th because the itching got to the point where I was unable to sleep at night and the doctor believes it was scabies. He prescribed permethrin cream for me and my son.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

Treating scabies is easy. Permethrin, hot water and high heat drying of laundry. The mites will die within 48 to 72 hours without a host. Dogs have a mite called the mange mite. It can get on you but it does not survive or multiply on human hosts and the scabies mites like humans, but will not survive on animals (different body temperatures). I have not been sexually active for years and I live alone. You can get them from sitting in a seat from another person. If that were not true then why would you need to wash all your bed sheets and clothes? That makes me very angry because it is not just an STD because why would daycares and nursing homes have scabies outbreaks! I drive a truck and we slip seat trucks. That means we do not get the same truck each day. I now spray the seats with Rid spray and cover it with a plastic seat cover. Yes it is contagious and you can get it from sources other than human contact.

Comment from: victor , 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I just mistakenly shook hands with a man who had scabies in his hands. I washed my hands after 5 minutes with soap and very hot water. I am worried if it is possible that I contracted scabies. I am panicking as I held my daughter's baby in my arms lately.

Comment from: james, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I think there is a kind of scabies that you and your animal can share, because the cat scratches like crazy and so do I. And the life rate without a host I think isn't true either. It is in my couch that hasn't been used in months.

Comment from: Jean smith, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have scabies rash over my hands, abdomen, and top of legs. It is itching a lot, red and angry.

Comment from: Misenhelterj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

This is response to the person saying you can't get scabies on your head or scalp. You can in fact get scabies on your head and scalp. It is just typically a place children can get them. My entire family is going through treatment for scabies. My hubby, my oldest (9), and I don't have them on our scalps but my 2 year old does.

Comment from: GailD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend 350 miles from home visiting family in Pompano Beach. We stayed 4 nights in a motel. One month later I started itching but it was on my legs. In January I saw my primary care physician, who prescribed antibiotic for the rash. I then went to the dermatologists 3 times. They did do a biopsy the second time and the result was "contact dermatitis and eczema." They prescribed a lotion to rub on my areas of rash. I went to see my PC physician last Tuesday and she asked if I"d been diagnosed with scabies. I said "No, but two months ago when I had my dog at the vet I asked her to do a skin scraping," knowing that she was not allowed to, but I think that was when I first thought I might have scabies. On Tuesday I started the skin medication, prednisone tablets and an antihistamine for relief of the itches. It"s horrible, and on top of it the Center for Disease Control (CDC) claims it is a sexually transmitted disease (STD), which infuriates me, because I know I didn"t do anything of that nature. Oh, well, hopefully I"ll start getting better.

Comment from: scabies arghhh!, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

You can"t get scabies from your pets, they don"t get scabies; it"s called mange and does not transfer to humans nor from humans to pets. Scabies do not live on your head or above your neck if your scalp is itchy it"s something else. Try Calamine lotion for the itch and talk to your doctor about topical or oral treatments, not every treatment may work for every patient. Be diligent, scabies mites don"t live off the body for very long maybe 20-30 hours tops. If you think you got infected by sitting on a bus bench you didn"t. Scabies mites don"t jump or fly. I am not trying to state that people here aren"t infected and going through terrible itching episodes just that you need to know what you have and how to treat it before you go spreading around that someone walked by you in the hallway and now you are infected, it just doesn"t happen. Do your research and speak with your doctor. It does suck but it will pass. Good luck to everyone that is dealing with this nightmare.

Comment from: Johnny, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I contracted scabies by having sexual intercourse with someone who had already had it. It started on my genital area, so my initial reaction was that I had herpes. But it quickly spread to my legs, backside and stomach. Soon my hands and feet were covered too. Treat this thing quickly!

Comment from: ojosblu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

Scabies are absolutely able to pass from pets to people. I adopted a dog from a shelter, and I began itching shortly after he started sleeping on my bed. We are both on medication for scabies.

Comment from: Teach1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm a creature of habit; I go to work as a second grade teacher and I go home. I got scabies about 8 weeks into the school year last year; and 4 more times after that. Never got re-infected when summer hit, but new school year and now I have it again after almost 6 months of nothing. I am still unsure of who I am getting this from. My fiancé and family have never shown signs. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Comment from: ltcnurse, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I contracted this from patients in a nursing home. I was treated with permethrin. Two and a half weeks later visited a patient in a different nursing home whose spouse and himself both had scabies and a few days later I had it again.

Comment from: CeCe, Female (Patient) Published: December 10

You can also get scabies from people if you use their items or used furniture. I didn't know, so I had to find out the hard way. I actually got it in a rare location. Apparently only children get it in this area, but I got it in the palm of my hands as well.

Comment from: Ginger, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am a 77 year old retired nurse who lives alone with my dog. Mites can live 72 hours. Scabies is resisting treatments with permethrin. If you google www.pub.med, you will find studies that indicate only about 50% of the mites are killed the first time. You need a second treatment about a week later. Also in research sulfur 8% and 10% is a less toxic approach. I used both permethrin and sulfur soap as the itching was persistent. It helped control the painful itching. Transfer is possible to your dog as you pet him with your infected hand. This is a terrifying experience as you feel it will never end and it is painful for me.

Comment from: Johm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I stayed at a cheap hotel for two months. I am positive I got it from the bed. I will never try to economize like that again.

Published: July 30

From an infected kitten. All my inside cats got it, and i did too.

Comment from: a parent concern, 3-6 Female Published: May 09

My 3-year-old daughter contracted scabies – maybe through daycare, from other kids, or from a dog. When she sleeps, she digs deep in her skin to scratch. She has terrible scars and I'm wondering if this is a disease she will have throughout her life. If anyone knows of treatments that are effective, please share.

Comment from: ckrich1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been diagnosed with scabies. I was wondering why my husband doesn't have it, especially since you can have it for up to two months before an outbreak. Can one be a carrier but not get the rash or itching, etc.?

Comment from: Scabies suck, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have scabies on my scalp, I think because my doctor told me only to treat my body from my neck down. I feel things crawling on my scalp and my hair has been falling out. I want to know how scabies can be that smart that they know how old you are. My doctor says that scabies only infect children and the elderly. That is not true – scabies will go wherever the medicine has not been applied.

Comment from: Drbob, (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I am a dentist, monogamous, and do not share clothing or towels/personal items with anyone. About 20 years ago I contracted scabies. The closest contact I have is with patients, but very little, if any, skin-to-skin contact. I contracted symptoms before my wife did, so she did not transmit it to me. Treatment was easy and straightforward, so getting rid of the scabies was quick once the diagnosis was made. These little buggers are terrible. So, casual contact can transmit them.

Comment from: nanaboss, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

We have no idea how we contacted scabies. We thought it was from kittens rescued from under a house but all the research says cat mites cannot be transferred to adults. I wish we knew because my entire family, except 1 person has been struggling with this awful infestation. My 20 months granddaughter has had it the worse and after 3 months of torture and scars we are praying and finally it worked for her. It seems to be over for her. My daughter and 2 of her sons have had it but not as bad. Now I have it and I'm covered head to toe. It's awful. I just started the cream yesterday. The worse is that I cannot see my grandkids because I do not want to re-infect them. Note: One of my grandsons has never had a single sore. I'm so glad he does not have scabies.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter