Patient Comments: Scabies - Causes

What caused your scabies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: momknowsbest, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm also sure I got scabies from a seat on an airplane. I have had them 2 times before, once from assisting a woman giving birth who had scabies, and another from a hotel bed in Southeast Asia. This time it was a long haul flight from the US to Asia. Or, I guess it could have been the flight from South Korea to Bangkok but I assume it was the longer flight. Last time, getting rid of them was awful! The only thing that ended up working was a combination of permethrin and ivermectin.

Comment from: Scabiesqueen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I commonly had a few different people showering and bathing in my own shower. A couple of rings and a bracelet were set on the window ledge in the shower and I ended up putting them on. I am not sure if the scabies came from the shower or the person to whom the jewelry belonged, but my scabies developed only in specific areas where I had worn the jewelry, on my one wrist and in between my fingers.

Comment from: Fred, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I work with many dogs that have sarcoptic mange. It is transmissible to humans and that is how I contracted the scabies. I know many people that have contracted it this way.

Comment from: ExDogGroomer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I used to groom dogs, so I regularly clip my parents' dog. One time, I noticed an area on her rump where the fur was thinning and the skin was a bit crusty, but I assumed it was from allergies. A few days after grooming her, I got several small bumpy patches on my skin. The itching from it was incredibly intense at night. The doctor diagnosed scabies and gave me a cream to clear it up. I was not 100 percent sure that I contracted it from their dog until it happened a second time several days after grooming her. Strangely no one else that has come in contact with her has contracted it, at least as far as I know. Perhaps it is because with grooming you are so close to the skin. Supposedly, the scabies that dogs carry is specifically adapted to canine bodies, so it will not continue its life cycle on humans beyond a certain point (I think I read that the mites can mate and have baby mites, but they will die before reaching adulthood, but don't quote me on that). That is good news; however, if you have an infested dog, you could potentially re-infest yourself continuously until the dog is cleared of its mites.

Comment from: Gorow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My scabies incident began after a plane trip. The itching started at the back of my neck and I thought it was because of a new shampoo I had just bought. Within a few weeks my upper torso was infected and the itching was horrendous. My husband began itching soon, mostly around the waist. We both were effectively treated with the permethrin cream. I'm certain I got the scabies from the airplane seat.

Comment from: johndoe13, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I have contracted scabies probably from a nice motel where I stayed with a woman. I also could have gotten it from a cab ride home one night where I was sure the two front occupants (driver and friend) just had sex in the very back. Anyway, I waited 17 days to go to the doctor because I thought I had an allergic reaction or bed bugs. Then, when it came close to my privates I made a doctor's appointment. My doctor diagnosed me with scabies right away after I told him that I don't change my food habits and I stayed at a hotel. He prescribed me with the 5 percent permethrin cream. Since it cost 95 dollars for a two application tube, I decided to shave or buzz the hair from my whole body so it would last longer. I also applied it to my head, nose and face but made sure not to get it in my eyes. I think that they don't want you to do your head because you could get it in your eyes and hence have liability issues. Anyway, once the second treatment is up I will do the Lysol and Bengay treatment. I do not know what to do with my dog or my furniture. I am a pretty clean person and have hardwood floors.

Comment from: Twinny2009, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I am a school nurse and observed a brother and sister who had scabies and sent them home. Two months later I have it even though I washed my hands and used gloves.

Comment from: Down With Scabies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I used to be a dog groomer, so when my mom's dog started scratching a lot for a few days recently, my mother asked me to check her for fleas. I found no fleas, and had no ideas about the potential for the dog having scabies! A day or so later, I started itching on my neck near my hairline. Now I have itching and red spots on my hands and at the top of my back, and my neck itches like crazy at night. I guess I'm off to the doctor as soon as I can get an appointment.

Comment from: setter mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

The mites can transmit from canines to humans, unfortunately. My dog's dermatologist told me that the rash, I thought was razor burn on my shins, was transmitted by my field Irish Setter whose condition was hidden by allergies that manifest in dermatitis and missed by his regular vet. It made perfect sense! The dog regularly curled up in the crook of my legs and the mites found a new place to settle. I'm not sure why doctors say otherwise, ask any vet and they will tell you the mite will cross species. It is maddeningly itchy as well. I am on my second treatment of Permethrin.

Comment from: lexington, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I got scabies from a pit bull puppy.

Comment from: dog lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was at a friend's house where they had rescued two cute little puppies. They looked like they had mange, but I thought humans couldn't get mange. About a week later I talked to the dog's owner and she asked me if I got mange, I said no. The next day I had a rash all over both arms. In desperation I threw all kinds of chemicals on it, and ended up killing it with lighter fluid. I thought I was in the green except a week later I had a rash all over my torso and back, luckily I know it is scabies and will go to the doctor in the morning. I think I will get it under control, but I work at a retail store where I measure and dress people and I am too embarrassed to tell my employers in fear of losing my job, but I am tortured by the fact that I could be infecting the whole city.

Comment from: glossy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My daughter and I got a bad case of scabies when we moved into a new apartment. There were feathers in a bedroom that I cleaned up. We found out that a bird had gotten in through a window and a cat killed it. Scabies can live without a host for 90 days, so they waited in the carpet for us and we got them. Birds carry scabies.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter