Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is typically caused by the consumption of contaminated foods. Symptoms of salmonellosis include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Salmonellosis typically resolves on its own in four to seven days. It's important to increase one's fluid intake to compensate for the fluid lost by vomiting and/or diarrhea. Read more: Salmonella Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Summer Food Safety Quiz: Test Your Food Safety IQ
Test your knowledge of food safety with our Summer Food Safety Quiz! Learn what really causes food poisoning as well as what you...
Salmonella: Food Poisoning, Salmonellosis, Treatment, Symptoms
What is Salmonella? What are the best treatments for Salmonella, and what are its symptoms? From food poisoning to typhoid fever,...
Uncommon and Common Food-Poisoning Dangers in Pictures
Learn how look for signs and symptoms food poisoning. Discover ways to keep your food safe from dangers including listeria, E....
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Related Disease Conditions
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Typhoid fever is an illness caused by the Salmonella typhi bacteria. The illness is contracted by ingesting the bacteria in...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Food Poisoning (Symptoms, Remedies, Treatment, Cure)
Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache,...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Bioterrorism is a form of terrorism where there is the intentional release of biological agents such as viruses, germs, or...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Antibiotics are medications used to kill or slow the growth of bacteria and some fungi. The definition of antibiotic resistance...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
Enterovirulent E. coli (EEC)
Enterovirulent Escherichia coli (E. coli) are strains of related bacteria that have a strong propensity to cause gastrointestinal...
Is the Stomach Flu Contagious?
The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) refers to variety infections that occur in the GI (gastrointestinal tract). The stomach flu is...
Is Salmonella Contagious?
Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause a variety of diseases. Salmonella can be transmitted via direct and indirect contact....
Stomach Flu vs. Food Poisoning
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are not the same infections. However, they do have a few similar...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Salmonella Outbreaks Linked to Backyard Poultry: CDC
- Food Poisoning Cases Rise in U.S.
- Salmonella Outbreak Tied to Pre-Cut Melons Expands to More Than 100 Cases
- Raw Tuna Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in Seven States: CDC
- Pre-Cut Melons at Kroger, Walmart, Other Stores May Carry Salmonella
- Pet Hedgehogs Still Spreading Salmonella, CDC Warns
- Butterball Ground Turkey Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella
- Health Tip: Reducing Risk of Salmonella
- Pillsbury Recalls 12,000 Cases of Flour Over Salmonella Concerns
- Salmonella Spurs Recall of Sunstone Organics Kratom
- Raw Dog Food Is Risky Business for Pet and Family Alike
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Raw Turkey Products Now at 279 Cases: CDC
- Prepared Foods With Baby Spinach Recalled by Whole Foods Markets
- Snuggling Your Pet Hedgehog May Spread Salmonella, CDC Warns
- Gold Medal Flour Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination
- Jennie-O Recalls 164,000 Pounds of Ground Turkey on Salmonella Fears
- More Cases in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Beef
- FDA Warns of Raw Cookie Dough Dangers
- More Raw Beef Recalled Due to Salmonella: USDA
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tahini Imported from Israel: FDA
- How Safe Is Food You Buy at Farmers' Markets?
- Restaurant 'Health Grade' Posters Could Mean Safer Dining
- Cap'n Crunch Cereal Recalled Due to Salmonella Scare
- Worried About the Salmonella Scare With Turkey This Holiday? Don't Be
- 246 Sickened in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Recalled Ground Beef: CDC
- More Raw Turkey Products Recalled
- Duncan Hines Cake Mixes Recalled
- 120 Salmonella Cases in 22 States in Outbreak Linked to Ground Beef
- Ready-to-Eat Salads Recalled
- Salmonella Cases Linked to Raw Chicken Rises to 92 in 29 States: CDC
- Arizona Company Recalls Raw Beef Products Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- More Illnesses in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Gravel Ridge Farms Eggs
- 130 Now Sickened by Salmonella-Tainted Honey Smacks Cereal
- Salmonella Outbreak in 4 States Linked to Kosher Chicken: CDC
- Health Tip: Suggestions for Cleaning Fruit and Veggies
- How to Keep Foodborne Illness at Bay
- Salmonella Spurs Recall of Swiss Rolls, Ritz Crackers
- Salmonella Spurs Recall of Swiss Rolls
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad
- Salmonella Outbreak in 26 States Linked to Raw Turkey Products
- 100 Now Sickened by Salmonella-Tainted Honey Smacks Cereal
- 70 Sickened So Far in Salmonella-Tainted Melon Outbreak
- Kellogg's Honey Smacks Cereal Recalled Due to Salmonella Risk
- 60 Sickened So Far in Salmonella-Tainted Melon Outbreak
- Salmonella Outbreaks in 36 States Linked to Backyard Poultry: CDC
- Egg Farm at Center of Salmonella Outbreak Had Rodents: FDA
- More Illnesses in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Eggs
- The Poop on House Mice: They Carry 'Superbugs'
- Company Recalls More Than 200 Million Eggs Due to Salmonella Scare
- Kratom-Linked Salmonella Outbreak Widens: CDC
- FDA Recalls Kratom Products Due to Salmonella Threat
- Kratom-Linked Salmonella Outbreak Expands: CDC
- Salmonella Cases Linked to Chicken Salad Now Total 170
- Pet Guinea Pigs Likely Cause of Multistate Salmonella Outbreak: CDC
- Kratom-Linked Salmonella Outbreak: CDC
- Chicken Salad Sold at Fareway Stores Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- FDA Cracks Down on Kratom Products
- Herbal Drug Kratom Linked to Salmonella Illnesses, CDC Says
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Raw Sprouts: CDC
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Coconut Tree Brand Frozen Shredded Coconut
- Salmonella Infection Linked to Rattlesnake Pills: CDC
- Health Tip: Seniors at Heightened Risk of Foodborne Illness
- Human Cases of Salmonella Rise to 66
- Jambalaya Likely Cause of Salmonella Outbreak in Louisiana
- Health Tip: Leading Causes of Food Poisoning
- Another Outbreak of Salmonella Traced to Pet Turtles
- What's Your Real Salmonella Risk?
- Health Tip: Camping and Cooking Outdoors
- Health Tip: Keep Your Sponge Cleaner
- Mexican Papayas Linked to U.S. Salmonella Outbreak
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Salmonella
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Salmonella
- Backyard Poultry Linked to Salmonella Outbreaks
- Roundy and Harris Tweeter Frozen Hash Browns Recalled Due to Possible Presence of Golf Balls
- Frito-Lay Recalls Jalapeno Chips
- U.S. Health Officials Make Headway Against Salmonella
- Hunt's Chili Kits Recalled
- Holiday White Peppermint Hostess Twinkies Recalled
- How to Ship Food Gifts Without Risk
- Products With Powdered Milk Recalled Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination
- U.S. Mumps Cases at 10-Year High: CDC
- GNC Pays $2.5 Million to Settle Improper Labeling Investigation
- Nearly 2 Million Lbs of Chicken Recalled
- Bagged Salads May Be Fertile Ground for Bacteria
- Health Tip: Separate Foods
- Scientists Debunk the '5-Second Rule'
- Health Tip: Learn About Salmonella
- Health Tip: Keep Kitchen Surfaces Clean
- Backyard Chicken Trend Can Be Risky
- Health Tip: Keep Spinach Fresher
- Health Tip: Cooking Frozen Food
- Health Tip: Packing for a Picnic
- When Cooking Outside, Don't Let Food Safety Slide
- Pet Turtles Continue to Spread Salmonella
- Multistate Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Garden of Life RAW Meal Products: CDC
- Fewer Cruises Rocked by Gastro Illness Outbreaks: CDC
- Tiny Turtles Carry Salmonella Threat
- How to Have a Healthy Holiday Season
- FDA Finalizes New Food Safety Rules
- Kitchen Utensils Can Spread Bacteria, Study Finds
- Multistate Foodborne Illness Outbreaks the Most Deadly: CDC
- Data on Foodborne Disease Outbreaks at Your Fingertips
- More Than 730 Illnesses Reported in Latest Salmonella Outbreak
- More Than 670 Illnesses Reported in Latest Salmonella Outbreak
- More Than 400 Illnesses Reported in Latest Salmonella Outbreak
- 2nd Death Reported in Nationwide Salmonella Outbreak
- Clearing Land Around Farms Doesn't Improve Food Safety
- Extreme Weather May Raise Risk of Salmonella Infection, Study Says
- Severe Burns May Trigger Dangerous Shifts in Gut Germs
- Germs in Foodborne Illness Gaining Resistance to Antibiotics, CDC Says
- U.S. Making Headway Against Salmonella, E. coli: CDC
- Pets Can Spread Infections to People: Review
- Steer Clear of Raw Milk, Researchers Warn
- Kitchen Towels Can Make You Sick
- Metals, Fungus Found in Colorado's Marijuana
- U.S. Officials Pinpoint Common Sources of Foodborne Illnesses
- Your Deli Sandwich May Come With a Side of Listeria, Study Finds
- Many Americans Don't Handle Poultry Safely When Cooking, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Avoid Raw Dairy Products
- E. Coli Germs Found on Farmers Market Herbs
- Mouse Study Suggests Antibiotics May Aid Salmonella's Spread in Animals
- Health Tip: Avoiding Salmonella From Your Pet
- Salmonella Cases Dip in U.S., But Food Poisoning Rates Remain High
- Restaurants Pose Double the Risk of Food Poisoning Compared to Homes: Study
- Health Tip: Protect Against Salmonella
- Disinfectants Can't Defeat Salmonella in Food-Processing Plants: Study
- Poultry Plants Linked to Salmonella Outbreak to Remain Open: USDA
- Antibiotic Resistance Ups Salmonella Hospitalizations: CDC
- Pet Food Recalled Over Salmonella
- Salmonella Outbreak Sickens 307 in 37 States
- Health Tip: Prevent Salmonella From Eggs
- Health Highlights: May 2, 2013
- Health Highlights: May 1, 2013
- Number of U.S. Foodborne Illness Cases Stalled: CDC
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2013
- Health Tip: Keeping Baby Chicks
- They're Cute, But Chicks Carry Salmonella Dangers
- Kids' Pet Frogs Caused Salmonella Outbreak: CDC
- Salmonella Risk Prompts Easter Candy Recall
- Salmonella Fears Spur Major Recall of Pet Treats
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Foster Farms Chicken
- Pet Hedgehogs Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in 8 States
- What Food Made You Sick?
- Salmonella Cause of Most Foodborne-Illness Outbreaks: CDC
- New Strain of Norovirus Spreading Quickly in U.S.
- FDA Announces New Rules to Strengthen Food Safety
- Harmful Bacteria Found in Samples of U.S. Pork
- Recall: Salmonella in Nesquik Chocolate Powder?
- Little Evidence Organic Food Better in Long Run: Report
- Health Highlights: Oct. 3, 2012
- Health Highlights: Oct. 2, 2012
- Peanut Butter Recall Expands
- Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Recalled Nationwide
- Health Officials Tracking Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Pet Turtles
- Antibiotics in Meat May Thwart Efforts to Make Sausage Safe
- FDA Cites Possible Source of Cantaloupe-Salmonella Outbreak
- Deaths in Salmonella Outbreak Traced to Cantaloupe
- 33 Sickened by Salmonella Linked to Ground Beef: CDC
- Salmonella Outbreak Again Tied to Ohio Hatchery
- 'Thousands' of Infections from 1 Poultry Hatchery
- Salmonella Concerns Prompt Baby Spinach Recall
- Health Highlights: May 14, 2012
- Health Highlights: May 3, 2012
- Health Highlights: May 2, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 27, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 23, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 18, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 16, 2012
- Tuna Source of 20-State Salmonella Outbreak
- Health Highlights: April 9, 2012
- Diamond Dog Food Recall: Salmonella
- Health Highlights: April 6, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 5, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 4, 2012
- Better Safeguards Needed for Imported Food, Drugs: Report
- Health Highlights: April 2, 2012
- 'Pink Slime' Maker Cuts Down Production
- Schools Can Say No to 'Pink Slime' Ground Beef
- Health Highlights: Feb. 16, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 3, 2012
- Pet Turtles Carry Salmonella Dangers, CDC Warns
- Health Highlights: Jan. 12, 2012
- Health Highlights: Dec. 21, 2011
- USDA Issues New Safety Rules for Beef
- Health Highlights: Dec. 20, 2011
- Raw Cookie Dough Ready to Bake, Not Ready to Eat
- Smucker's Chunky Peanut Butter Recalled
- Listeria/Cantaloupe Death Toll Sets Record
- Listeria in Cantaloupes: Deadliest Outbreak in a Decade
- More Ground Turkey Recalled Because of Salmonella Risk
- CDC: 1,000 Food-Borne Disease Outbreaks in a Year
- Salmonella-Tainted Ground Turkey Outbreak Hits 26 States
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Papaya
- Frogs That Spread Salmonella Are Being Sold Again
- Sprouts Linked to Salmonella Outbreak in U.S.
- Recalled Grape Tomatoes in Ready-to-Eat Salads
- What Are the Riskiest Food-Bacteria Combos?
- Recalled Cucumbers in Your Fridge?
- FDA: Hand Sanitizers Make False Claims
- 27 Tons of Turkey Burgers Recalled
- Skippy Peanut Butter Recall: Salmonella Risk
- Year-End Flurry of Food Recalls, Illness
- 1 in 6 Americans Gets Food-borne Illness
- Is Your Kitchen as Clean as a Restaurant's?
- FDA: Filthy Conditions at Egg Recall Farms
- Egg Recall: FDA Finds Salmonella on Suspect Farms
- Egg Recall: Trail Leads to Iowa Firm
- Egg Recall: Frequently Asked Questions
- Egg Recall Expands; CDC Expects More Illnesses
- Salmonella Outbreaks Spur Nationwide Egg Recall
- Tainted Pet Food Linked to Rare Salmonella Infection
- Iams Cat Food Recalled
- Frozen Meals Linked to Salmonella Outbreak
- Retail Spices Recalled in Salmonella Scare
- Salmonella Risk Prompts Wider Food Recall
- Salmonella Scare Prompts Wide Product Recall
- Salmonella Found in Crushed Red Pepper
- Pet Treats Recalled on Salmonella Fears
- Pet Frog Salmonella Spans 31 States
- More Salmonella Peanut Butter Recalls Coming
- Seventh Salmonella Death Linked to Peanut Products
- Baby Chicks Crawling With Salmonella
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Dry Dog Food
- Pet Turtles Cause Salmonella Outbreak
- Salmonella From Pet Turtle Kills Baby
- 6 Salmonella Risk Factors for Babies
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter