Salivary gland cancer is a malignancy (kind of cancer) that begins in one of the salivary glands of the head and neck. This can occur in a small, minor salivary gland or any one of the three pairs of major salivary glands: the parotid glands, the largest salivary glands located in front of and just below each ear; the sublingual glands, found under the tongue in the floor of the mouth; or the submandibular glands located below the jawbone.
Signs and symptoms can include
- a lump or swelling in the mouth, cheek, jaw, or neck;
- pain in the mouth, cheek, jaw, ear, or neck that does not go away; or a
- difference between the size and/or shape of the left and right sides of the face or neck.
Other associated symptoms and signs can be
- numbness in part of the face,
- weakness of the muscles on one side of the face,
- trouble opening the mouth widely, or
- trouble swallowing (dysphagia).
Cause of salivary gland cancer
Doctors do not understand the exact cause of salivary gland cancer.
Other salivary gland cancer symptoms and signs
- Difference Between the Size and/or Shape of the Left and Right Sides of the Face or Neck
- Lump or Swelling in the Mouth, Cheek, Jaw, or Neck
- Numbness in Part of the Face
- Pain in the Mouth, Cheek, Jaw, Ear, or Neck That Does Not Go Away
- Trouble Opening the Mouth Widely
- Trouble Swallowing (Dysphagia)
- Weakness of the Muscles on One Side of the Face
Main Article on Salivary Gland Cancer Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Cancer: Cancer 'Remedies' That Don't Work
You may have read about an all-natural cure for cancer. While many therapies are helpful, some aren't worth your time or money....
Cancer: Does This Cause Cancer?
Everything gives you cancer, right? Not really. WebMD's slide show tells you about the research into cancer and cell phones,...
Cancer: How to Lower and Cut Your Risk of Cancer
About a third of all cases of cancer can be prevented. Find out how to lower your chances of getting it.
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...