Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Retirede, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

On June 13, 2017 I had a discectomy, lumbar laminectomy, and spinal fusion. I was bedridden from the pain for most of early June, and over the past 15 years dependent on pain management. My pain was entirely on my right side, and in early June, excruciating pain resulted in my right leg going numb, first from the knee down to ankle, and then migrating into my groin. Post-surgery I spent one day in hospital, I had minimal pain, and right leg was still numb, but could support me. In the past 4 weeks I am steadily gaining stamina, I wear a brace from morning to night, sit for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. I am having trouble getting in and out of my compact sedan, and am seriously considering a crossover. I am 70 years old, was active throughout my life. I don't think I will be getting into my kayak again, but to be almost pain free, I will take the sacrifice.

Comment from: LynNy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I lifted a heavy object over 2 years ago. I was diagnosed with stenosis on L4/L5 as well as on L3. I received two spinal epidurals which made me worse. I was lying on my stomach (the only position that did not involve pain) for over a year. I was lucky enough to work while lying on my stomach but I was still out of work for over 4 months. I got a second opinion, thanks to my neurologist, and was correctly diagnosed with a left SI (sacroiliac) joint injury. My doctor had the perfect physiotherapist (PT) who knew how to manipulate my ilium back into place. Now I only have a slight joint pain, most of the muscular pain has subsided. I recently overexerted myself and started having joint and muscle pain again. I took steroids and muscle relaxers (helped a lot this time) and am planning to have an SI joint injection soon. Nothing helped me more than the PT who specializes in SI joint injuries. Don't stop trying to find relief. I didn't and I won't. Life is hard enough without pain. I wish you all the best of luck with finding and keeping relief.

Comment from: JED, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Four months after a fusion of L3-L4, L4-L5 I had a horrific fall resulting in a shattered right wrist and an injury to my back as well as what has been diagnosed as a traumatic injury to my SI (sacroiliac) joints. It is manifested by a deep, boring pain in my right hip and iliac crest that has been relieved by steroid injections into the joints. The fall was six months ago. This diagnosis and the first injections were done early November and the pain returned early January and was relieved five days post injection again. I am concerned about how quickly the pain came back, what these repeated injections will do side effect-wise long term, and if there isn't some other possible treatment. I have a great orthopedic chiropractor who is a friend and who has treated me for other things. I think he is my best option when I have exhausted my injections.

Comment from: Painfulsijoint, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had such bad SI joint pain you want to stab a knife in the area of pain. I went to a pain management office. I was given Gralise, I take 1800 mg every day at 5:00pm with food. It has really helped along with muscle relaxant and Nucynta ER. It was the worst pain I have ever had. Neurontin is another name but Gralise has added areas that breakdown the way the medicine works faster and to the area faster. What a difference!

Comment from: lefty in SF, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

On vacation late last month I had a "knife in the lower left back" episode - severe pain. I saw a friend who is a chiropractor and I had instant relief in two treatments. Upon returning home I saw another chiropractor who discussed the connections between the nerves and the joints. He used both LED and other techniques and I feel much, much better.

Comment from: coco, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I had abdominal plastic surgery which resulted in cellulitis and ever since have been admitted to hospital a few times a year with chronic pain, sickness and constipation. It is getting more severe as time goes on, it is ten years since the surgery. I sometimes have up to 12 laxatives a day. I feel so ill when I can't go and they say I have irritable bowel syndrome. I think it is adhesions, I don't know what I can do to get doctors to look into this. It hurts and is very hard and numb all across the scar.

Comment from: candy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have dealt with SI (sacroiliac) joint pain since 1996 when it was found. I had injured my back at work. I had stabilization in 2001 and have regretted it since 2 years after having it. I deal with pain when I get up until I can go to sleep at night. I was married to the heating pad! Has anyone heard of a portable heating pad! I take strong narcotics for it, but they just knock the edge off. I have even begged my pain management doctor to remove the one screw that we know is causing my pain. But he only says he doesn't put screws in and he doesn't take them out.

Comment from: Kat, Published: April 21

I had a bad fall on both knees almost 3 weeks ago. My left knee instantly swelled and bruised. Bruising was almost gone this morning and when I knelt on the tub to wash my hair a darker bruise instantly appeared to the side where the swelling was before.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My pain has been disabling. No one knew what the problem was and I was disregarded as a druggie. I found out it is my SI joint. I was put on a Medrol dose pack and a miracle happened, zero pain; seriously! Before that life was not worth living if I had to live with that pain. It was a 10 plus and there isn't a narcotic out there that would touch the pain. Unfortunately you cannot use steroids long term. Apparently cortisone injections in that area are supposed to work, but once the numbness wears off or I move, back in pain. I will probably have to have surgery as nothing but the steroids have worked. But as for now, I am starting the injections again as per doctor's suggestion. If they don't work the only option is long term steroid use, which you cannot do, or surgery. But I tell you what, I felt like a million bucks once the steroids took hold.

Comment from: roni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been suffering with the sacroiliac joint dysfunction for almost 6 years. I am always in pain. I also have the arthritic episodes where I have an extreme amount of pain and unable to walk. I was on narcotics for a long time but I am off them now. I can't find anything to help me with my pain. Ibuprofen helps but it messes up my stomach. There aren't many people you can see for this condition and my doctor won't due the surgery. I hear all of the positive things and I really would love to have it. My kids are grown and it's just my husband and I with our animals and it's now our time to do what we want but it's difficult when you have this issue. I am positive and I keep pushing but when I have an episode, pushing it is not good. I am really glad I am not alone in this journey. No one truly understands you.

Comment from: sneezybreezy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have experienced many of the same symptoms as others on this site. I've had a hard time walking, severe pain in both legs and in the lower back. Lidocaine patches over the SI (sacroiliac) joints help, and so have steroid injections into the SI joints, albeit temporarily. I can't believe so many people are suffering long term from this condition when there are surgeries, including minimally invasive ways to fuse the SI joints to prevent the movement that causes pain. I have a great deal of osteoarthritis in my SI joints due to low back fusions that took place 30 and 15 years ago. I am absolutely sure that the SI joints are causing my pain and I am going to pursue getting them fused. I am sick and tired of living half a life when I don't have to. The SI joints can move very little and they will cause you a lot of pain. They say 25 percent of low back pain is caused by the SI joints but most doctors don't know enough about them to either diagnose or treat them effectively, so their patients continue to suffer and their lives going down the tubes, for no reason.

Comment from: sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 37 year old with 2 children who is also a registered nurse (RN). I have been fighting with SI (sacroiliac) problems for over 2 years. My pain goes across my back and down both legs to my ankles. It started on the right side and eventually progressed to the left. My pain level is never less than a 5 and generally stays between 8 and 10. On the days I work 12 hour shifts, I swear it is even worse than that. There are days that I just lay in bed and want to scream. At first, all my doctor would do was prescribe pain medications. Of course, they didn't help. I underwent 6 months of physical therapy but found that it only made things worse. Finally, I saw another doctor (when my doctor was out of town and I was having a flare up) and he sent me to a brain and spine institute for injections on both sides. For those of you that have had them, you know they hurt! Over the last 3 months I have had 3 sets. Three or four days after each injection I feel great. However, after I go back to work, within a week or so, I am back to square one. I'm not sure where we are headed next. They have mentioned fusion, but I am concerned with lack of mobility. My kids are still little and very active in sports. And, I am the sole provider for my family. My husband is currently unemployed and for that matter thinks I am crazy... he doesn't understand the pain this causes.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I use Michelle"s Miracle cherry concentrate, 1 oz mixed in any liquid each day. It has properties similar to aspirin, as well as anti-inflammatory properties. I prefer this natural remedy for SI joint pain, over medicine.

Comment from: Fiz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

After many years of repeating chiropractic treatment and physical therapy for SI joint pain, I gave osteopathy a try with great and long lasting results.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had pain in my SI joint for 7 years. I started out with bone and joint doctors. They would give me shots and prescribe pain pills. After suffering for over a year, I went to a chiropractor. After the first visit I could walk easier. When I first started going I had to go twice a week for about 3 weeks. I go monthly now. My pain is greatly reduced. My SI joint slipped out of place last year so bad that I could not walk without assistance. The chiropractor adjusted me one time and I walked out of the office by myself.

Comment from: diane 73, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After searching the "web" I found a site that suggested laying down on the floor on your back and placing a tennis ball under you where you hurt. Roll around on the spot that's sore. It gave me some immediate relief.

Comment from: lgann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 60-year-old female who has had lower back pain and hip pain for about 15 years. In the beginning I was told I had degenerative disc disease and some arthritis. I have realized over the years that the best way to treat this is actively yourself. I started a stretching routine every morning, ate healthy, took vitamins and worked thru the pain. Almost every day for 10 years I had some severe issues but learned to live with it. Recently I was diagnosed with a bulging disc after severe sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. I received one cortisone shot in my back and for the first time in 15 years have had 1 year of relief. I am beginning to have symptoms again, but continue to stretch every day.

Comment from: gkidz4me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had total right knee replacement about 12 weeks ago. My knee seems to be mending in expected fashion. However, from the day I got home from the hospital I have had severe pain in my left hip and sacroiliac joint. I have been going to PT for my knee but progress is greatly hindered by the hip and back pain. I did not have this pain prior to surgery. My surgeon was not concerned and said the knee will take 2-3 years to fully recover. I had right left knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago and did not have this problem.

Comment from: ritag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I started having bank pain when I got into my first car accident at 19 (1991). I went to a chiropractor and after a year I was pain free. I had my second car accident in 2005 and didn't show symptoms until I had my son in 2007. I have been doing Pilates since 2004 and it is the single most things that help. Not only does it help but after doing Pilates twice a week with a trainer since January I hardly have pain even though I'm still 35 Lbs overweight and I sit at a desk all day (really bad for the back). I don't take any pain meds not even an otc. I do yoga occasionally and I just started getting a massage yesterday. Overall I am 100% better than I was in 2007 but I am not anywhere near before the second accident. Hope this info helps someone.

Comment from: tennisfan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 52 years old and an active tennis player. A couple of years ago, I developed a foot problem (plantar) and kept playing tennis while trying to deal with the foot. This has led to hip problems and most recently with my left hip. I feel a burning sensation at the top of my left buttocks and my left groin feels strained although I understand that can be a symptom of the hip problem. I've done some PT for the hip and had one injection; neither has resolved the issue although the hip was feeling better while I was doing the PT. I am very fit, ideal weight and do the entire core exercises, etc. so fitness isn't the issue. I had an MRI this week and am getting the results in a couple of day. It isn't exactly painful now but feels like something that will get worse over time if not dealt with. Would love to hear of any similar cases and success stories.

Comment from: RNbackpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I first felt pain in my left lower back next to the tailbone 7 years ago. The stabbing pain would start there and wrap around my thigh. It hurt so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I had to drag my left leg behind me to get around. I was then diagnosed with SI joint inflammation. NSAIDS were not doing the job for me. I decided to get the cortisone injection. The first injection worked for a couple of weeks for me then the pain came back. I had one more injection a month later and this time it worked. I then learned some good stretches from physical therapy. Since then, I would only get minor flare-ups if I wasn't taking care of myself.

Comment from: daria55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had SI joint issues for years following two head-on car accidents. The SI joint is hyper mobile and will easily go out of place. While I have had physical therapists pop it back into place relieving the intense nerve pain, they taught me how to have someone else do it. Lay on stomach and bend the knee on the side that hurts. Have a person put their hand on upper buttock area applying pressure to stabilize the area. Then with the other hand, have them put it under your knee and lift the knee a few inches off the bed. With the pressure on upper buttock area, push your knee down to the bed while the person holding your knee resists for count of 5. Relax. Repeat 2 or 3 times lifting the knee a little bit higher each time. Hope you find this helpful.

Comment from: mjt3213, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had lower back pain (tailbone area) for a few years. It has been bearable until recently. I now have trouble just getting out of bed due to the pain of raising my legs or shifting my weight from one side to allow my feet to reach the floor The pain is worse the day after I have had more than the usual activity. Mopping the floors in a large home has me flat on my back for the next two days. Ibuprofen helps some (800 mg). Ice packs help as well as a hot bath. I have just started the SI exercises and it actually feels good just stretching those muscles. My GP tells me I most likely have arthritis in the SI joint.

Comment from: Gail, Published: November 14

I had lower back pain and keep telling my back surgeon that it was totally different than sciatica I had surgery for 2 years before. My lower back was stiff and really hurt. I ask to go to physical therapy. Wow! Lucked out. This man had me stand in front of him and walk while he had hands on top of where hip went into spine area. He said it was S I joint. He put me on my back on table, took heavy towels & put on top of points at top of pelvis & pressed rather hard. When he let up he had me walk again. Wow! Felt better. Said I had to exercise to build up muscles around the area to hold in place. Doing exercises and better. Know exercise to help slide it back in place if goes out again and can go back to him if it doesn't help.

Comment from: pinta, 55-64 Male Published: October 05

Hi all I am a 57 year female and have had this problem for 11 years although have just been recently diagnosed .My slipped disc ruptured i have had two spinal ops .I suffer with FM [[[fibromyalgia ]I had the joint injections and boy they were so painful. I will not be having any more it made my joints worse the pain is so severe. I struggle standing for long periods bending forward is a no no and turning over in bed is so painful. Sometimes I have to sit on a memory foam cushion I end up laying down most times I wish someone had an answer this is a living hell.

Comment from: gunfight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 37-year-old gunshot victim battling SI joint dysfunction and MFPS. I believe that over time, I have tried absolutely everything. I have not found anything including injections, medications, therapies, or devices that have been able to ease any of the pain. I am now to the point where I am only able to do anything for a half hour – max -- at a time. I have been told that there are no answers for me, and that it is only going to get worse. Even with that said, I will only keep fighting.

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My 93 year old mother fell 4 days ago. Nothing is broken but she is now experiencing severe SI joint pain. Nothing seems to be helping. I hate seeing her in this much pain.

Comment from: Faye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been having pain with my SI joint for years. I finally had to demand to my doctor to send me to a specialist. My doctor over the past seven years has prescribed me so many anti-inflammatory medications, which do not work. I have had nerve blockers shots and a SI injection. To this day, none has worked. When the weather is cold and snowy, that is when the pain is really bad.

Comment from: soccerchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had lower back pain on and off for a number of years. I play soccer and after some games, my right hip would hurt, but it would normally be okay by the next day. After one game a few months ago, I could barely get off the field because of my hip. The pain was excruciating, and I could barely walk for the next three weeks because of my hip. I went to my doctor, who didn't know what was going on, and so I went to a physiotherapist. He watched me bend over while standing, and he saw that my hips were misaligned and one leg was longer than the other. After a couple more tests, he determined that it was my SI joint giving me the back and hip pain all this time. For the last couple of months, I have been receiving acupuncture, my PT stretches my leg and hip, and I have exercises to do. I still have some pain in my hip and back, but nothing like it was. A little bit longer, and I'll (hopefully) be able to get back on the soccer field.

Comment from: Fusion 3 4 me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am recovering from my 3rd spinal fusion. I am having pain in my lower back, hip, and leg down to knee only. When I stand up, I get a terrible burning sensation in my lower bottom near my legs. It last a minute or so. I was told is was my SI joint. I have had injections of this before and they do work,however I can't have them now due to my healing process. Steroids can disrupt healing of my fusion. I am coping now.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My SI joint was out of place for three years before a PT who works with hips figured out it was my SI joint. She had me do the shotgun, in which you squeeze a kickball between your legs to make it go back and forth into place. I had to do this for eight weeks off and on whenever my SI went out of place. Also, you can use the abductors at a gym, where you squeeze your legs with weights forward and outward. This also helps. I was well for about three years, but now I'm having problems with the SI joint again. Again, I started squeezing the kickball or a football, and it works wonders! Try it and see. My SI joint first went out when I had my first child and I never knew what it was, but it went back in after about a year. The second time it went out because I fell over on my motorcycle on my left side. I hope this will help someone.

Comment from: mrgk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Traction done by my physical therapist helped me the most (I was in therapy for six weeks, three times a week, 1½-hour sessions). It provided immediate relief, reduced inflammation and helped get my bones back into alignment. Although I still suffer from pain when I twist and turn the wrong way, I am working on the plan my therapist gave me to strengthen my core and muscles surrounding my pelvis and SI joint.

Comment from: Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

If you are still in lots of pain, consider getting off grains and trying a gluten-free diet. You may be amazed to see how well you feel. I still have pain, but nowhere near the amount I had been suffering. I feel you have nothing to lose by trying it. I've heard that gluten can cause inflammation for some people. I'd never realized how many people have the same problem. A doctor told me about gluten and it has helped me greatly.

Comment from: cin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a simple knee scope done in 2010. Since the day of that surgery I've had IT band syndrome and SI joint pain. It really makes one wonder what they did to you during surgery. Still to this day I have pain off and on. I am a very active person and never had anything like this in my life. Shots didnt help in the SI joint - very frustrating. But, I keep on moving...

Comment from: kellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been suffering from SI joint pain for six and a half years. Nothing I have done has helped. I've been to a chiropractor, neurosurgeon, physical therapists and with stood 11 steroid shots in my lower back. Nothing. Twice, the shots put me in bed for two weeks. I've been on pain meds for five years now and still no relief. I'm 49 years old now and I haven't worked for a year and a half due to the pain.

Comment from: Nurse to many, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I'm a nurse too and hurt my back on a patient a few days after Christmas 2012. I'm out of work doing physical therapy with NSAIDS, and pelvic exercises. But my SI joint on the left and my tail bone are killing me. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes so I bought a "Tush Cush." For the car which is a mini wedge with a hole for the tailbone, which helps a bit. I sit on a yoga ball all the time at home, but walking and standing for to long kills me. The pain runs to my inner pelvic / thigh area and down my back leg into my knee and sometimes down to my foot, but rarely. I've done the injections, and prednisone worked great but I can't take that forever! Feeling all sorts of pressure to go back to work and I'm totally stressed!! I love lidocaine patches.

Comment from: Alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with SI problem about a year ago after about six months of pain. I had some physio as apparently the muscle had locked the joint into place. It was much better for three months, but deteriorated after that and has remained so bad that I've not been able to do any exercise, and often getting to work is a nightmare. I've had some more physio, and that has helped. As does NSAIDs, thought they take days to really kick in. A sacro-illiac belt has also helped.

Comment from: janq, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my right knee replacement 32 months ago. I have had pain in my right hip leg and groin ever since. I thought it was my hip. X-rays showed no hip problems. I believe the passive resistance machine aggravated my SI joint. I can't seem to obtain any relief. Physical therapy hasn't helped. I'm supposed to start having massage for my myofacial pain. Maybe that will help the SI pain. I also have three ruptured lumbar disks. Here's hoping all of you find relief.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

18 years ago, working as an RN I injured by SI Joint in my back. I thought it would go away in a couple of days, then weeks, but it didn't. I tried various treatments; accupuncture, accupressure, drugs, injections of cortizone and steroids. Nothing helped. I walked with a cane, then 2. What helped was just light exercises, stretching and keeping mobile. I didn't seek anymore help as I didn't want surgery. Over a period of a couple of months, I healed myself. Tylenol, heating pad and lots of swearing helped. Today 18 years later, I still do my stretching and light exercises every morning and before retiring for the day. It has not been easy, but with determination it has done me well. If I knew then what I know now it would of saved me time, doctor visits and a lot of pain. This is not an easy method, but it does work. Take Tylenol 1 hour before exercising and take 1 tablet immediately after until the pain is bearable. With time the Tylenol use should go down. Don't give up, be patient.

Comment from: Fenix, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had an accident last year, slipped while running down a flight of stairs, and suffered spinal concussion/temporary paralysis to my lumbar region. Paresthesia occurred from head to foot thereafter. My GP and Neurologist had no idea for treatment, which was hardly surprising as they did not touch me, or really examine me. I deduced that paresthesia must have resulted from referred tension, so I attended a Pilates class, and then did some yoga at home and it worked - full sensation returned to my body. I did however have a left shoulder and hip that were raised and it caused me pain. I saw an osteopath/cranio-sacral practitioner. He straightened me up and made me pain free in three sessions. He advised me to swim for a month and then resume running. My advice would be this: see an osteopath, swim, run, do Pilates, yoga, and also you may wish to try ballet-Pilates, as all help to strengthen the gluteal and core muscles. There are numerous exercises that can be employed to strengthen gluteal/core, but classes afford a supervised and thus more accurate/focused/monitored exercise plan. Walking alone will not suffice to remedy this burning, persistent pain. I still have flare ups occasionally - deep, burning pain in buttock, which causes pain/stiffness down leg and into my foot. Freshly grated ginger, made into a tisane or just eaten has great anti-inflammatory properties. Fortified cod liver oil is great too. Lay off red meat/dairy, and eat fresh fruit/veg/pulses/brown rice. Stress exacerbates the pain, so try to exercise and do relaxing pursuits.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 51 years old just told I have had SI joint. Been on walker for almost 2 weeks. Going to chiropractor, some small improvement. No insurance don't know what else to do. Pain is unbearable. Others think I'm crazy for going to chiropractor and not a medical doctor. What else can I do out of work because of pain.

Published: April 29

I just recently found out that I had a problem with my SI joint. I've had back problems for years and this is definitely one of the most painful things I've had to deal with. I'm going for an injection on Tuesday. (I'm not happy about that.) In the meantime, low doses of prednisone and Lortab 10s are helping keep the pain not as bad. Also, Lidoderm patches are a miracle. They help so much with back and nerve pain. I'm 38 years old and hope that this stuff keeps working! I'd like to rejoin the human race!

Comment from: ffdad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm a 33 year-old firefighter and I hurt my back 5 months ago lifting a Patient. I have had a MRI, and an SI joint injection, which sucked. Now I hurt worse than I did before.

Comment from: Hurting, Published: September 19

I first had an SI strain two years ago and had an injection. It helped immensely. Rather than physical therapy, I opted for yoga, which can be continued lifelong. I had no further problems until my yoga teacher took a leave of absence and I did not keep up with it at home. I overworked my back and now have had pain in both SI joints for two weeks. I will probably go back for injections and the restart yoga faithfully.

Comment from: bluizoftx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am thrilled I found this site. I thought I was alone in the world with my SI joint pain condition. I am 48 years old now, and I have lived with SI joint pain for more than 10 years. I am a nurse and I believe I injured myself lifting a patient at work one day. Eventually I became unable to work any longer and I ended up seeing a neurosurgeon and was told I have disc problems at L5 and S1, requiring a fusion. The pain started again about a year after surgery and I've suffered with severe pain on the right side at the SI joint, radiating into the hip and down to the knee, and a lot of the time even into the foot. The pain is unbearable. I've done everything possible to get help and relief, only finding it returning after a short period of relief. The many doctors I've seen don't seem to know what to do with me. MRI's, X-rays, etc., don't show any problems. I've decided to see a rheumatologist and I'm praying he will be able to help me. This condition has taken on a life of its own and I am finding it impossible to have a life because of the pain.

Comment from: Janie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I injured my SI in a fall off an 18 foot ladder. I didn't want surgery. It took a few years of gentle restorative yoga to tease/stretch out the muscles now supporting the displaced SI (a few sessions also with a chiropractor) and when the SI "slid" in to place relief but then great pain as there were no supporting correct placement muscles so walking bending , everything pulled the SI out of alignment ( lots of pain!!!). Now after a few years of Core Strengthening and sessions of stretching, strengthening over a "peanut” exercise ball I have many days of pain free movement! I am able to keep up, almost, with my 10 year old triplets!

Comment from: isk8ermum5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I go to a chiropractor and also a massage therapist every week. This keeps me pain free. BUT I missed the massage for two weeks and have been paying for it ever since. Massage really helps relax the muscles around the SI joint.

Published: July 11

I started to have SI joint issues when I changed jobs and started sitting the majority of the day. Since I don't want to change jobs, I got a SI injection and that has kept the pain down to manageable levels for nearly 2 years. Now I am experiencing a severe flare-up so will likely need another injection.

Comment from: lebogdebrush, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

I started getting lower back pain after the birth of my daughter nearly 18 years ago. When she was about six months I could not bend over and straighten back up nor walk very far without being in awful pain. I had injections down both sides of spine from L5/S1 down every three months. I then moved and the pain was bearable. Then last year after about three years of struggling I sought further help from my pain specialist. The injections are painful but we have finally found the source of my pain. We have agreed to another set of injections in 8 months time or earlier if I need them. But this time the injections are holding. Do not suffer a few minutes more pain having the injections is worth the relief these can give.

Comment from: ASinpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am 32 years old and have been dealing with back pain for years along with that my SI joints keep popping out of place each one exterior rotating. This has been causing me horrible pain; I have went through physical therapy where I could barely walk afterwards, tried a SI belt, injections, nerve blocks, chiropractic and medication none of this seems to help. My doctor asked me if I would be interested in SI Infuse. I hurt nonstop and it is so hard to deal with.

Comment from: savage, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had SI joint pain for years. I have had several SI joint injections and did not get any relief from the intense pain. I have had other steroid injections in my back, neck, hip and knees and this was by far the most painful injection to endure! They "numb you up" and wait a few minutes before injecting the site. That was bad, but the injection was horrific! It sent me through the roof! After two of those (they say sometimes they take 2 injections to work) I decided I would NEVER have another SI joint injection again! hope this helps.

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

After 18 years of back pain I got a correct diagnosis, my SI was out of place causing my spine to twist at the base. I had Dextrose Sclerosant Therapy from a fantastic rheumatologist, along with a little physiotherapy. What a difference. 10 years on, I have only had a couple of minor bad back incidents which were probably my own fault, and nowhere near as severe as before. Basically, the physio puts the joint into place, then you have a few injections of dextrose into the joint at 2 week intervals. The dextrose merely aggravates the ligaments to strengthen more quickly, holding the joint as it should be. It changed my life.

Comment from: cyberfarie2u, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have scoliosis, spina bifida, osteoarthritis, disfigured pelvic bones and hips, and sacroiliitis. Needless to say, I have considerable pain on a daily basis. I have tried it all, physical therapy, chiropractor, water exercises, electrical stimulation, steroid injections, spinal fusions, about 9 spine surgeries, you name it...I have done it. My doctor finally figured out that most of my symptoms are from my sacroiliitis. So I tried the radio frequency. IT WAS AWESOME!!! I had 70% relief of pain, however it only lasted about 3 months. Now the pain is back worse that ever. I'm lost, I can't afford another round of RF, and am seriously thinking maybe sciatic fusion is my last resort.

Comment from: DougW, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I was training for a 25k trail race. I am a 43 year old male, and noticed about 3 weeks ago that I had really bad pain in my buttocks and my low back was aching. I had trouble standing up straight. Anything that caused hip and core twisting hurt. Three weeks now and it's not getting better.

Comment from: signoradelia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In 2003 I had radio frequency ablation for my SI joint pain, from which I had been suffering increasingly for years. The result was close to miraculous, and the relief lasted for 6 years. I have been experiencing pain for the past year, and I'm ready to find a physician to do it again (my previous physician died at 48 the year after my procedure!) I was 58 at the time.

Comment from: DC J, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 26

A chiropractic adjustment of the sacrum is the fastest, most practical, and affordable treatment for this condition.

Comment from: JA PERSON, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

The injections have helped me tremendously. I had a total knee re-replacement and I have arthristis in my knees, after this injection I can move more, no pain. So the injections were a great choice for my SI, and knee and joint pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Several weeks of physical therapy was very helpful.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter