Running is the sixth most popular exercise in the U.S. The health benefits of running include increases in HDL cholesterol and reduced body fat, blood pressure, triglycerides, and risk of heart disease. Proper technique should be followed and appropriate footwear should be worn to avoid injury. Read more: Running Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Iliotibial Band (ITB)
The ITB is a ligament that runs along the outside of the thigh -- from the top of the hip to the outside of the knee. See a...
Picture of Hamstring Muscle
The prominent tendons at the back of the knee. See a picture of Hamstring Muscle and learn more about the health topic....
Dehydration: Causes, Symptoms & Tips to Stay Hydrated
Do you know the signs of dehydration? Dehydration can cause medical complications. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and...
Exercise Tips for Kids and the Whole Family
Exercise is great for kids, and fun activities for the whole family are there if you know how to find them. Learn how to lose...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Related Disease Conditions
Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- are caused by localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Shin splints result from inflammation from injury to the tendon and adjacent tissues in the front of the outer leg. Shin splints...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Hamstring injuries may range from minor strains to major ruptures. A hamstring injury causes spasm, tightness, and tenderness....
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Heat exhaustion is a milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Heat Rash (Symptoms, Pictures, Treatment, Remedies)
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Treatment
Hyponatremia is a condition in which the levels of sodium in the blood is too low. Some of the symptoms of hyponatremia include...
The five types of spondylolisthesis include dysplastic, isthmic, degenerative, traumatic, and pathologic. The most common symptom...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
A broken foot is a common injury. There are 26 bones in the foot, and these bones can be broken (fractured) in a variety of...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear)
The anterior cruciate ligament helps to prevent the top and bottom of the knee from sliding back and forth. Symptoms and signs of...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Turf toe is a sprain to the ligaments around the big toe joint. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, a popping sound,...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Intertrigo is irritant dermatitis, usually found in skin folds, that is caused by rubbing, increased temperature, and moisture....
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon is the body's largest and strongest tendon. Repeated stress is the usual cause of a ruptured Achilles tendon....
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the ligament underneath the sole of the foot. Symptoms of plantar fasciitis include heel...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Expert Tips for Reducing Running Injuries
- NFL Players' Enlarged Hearts May Harm Health for Decades
- An Outdoor Plan for Walking and Running
- AHA News: Is Long-Distance Running Good for the Heart?
- Get in Shape for Tennis and Other Racquet Sports
- Fun Moves for Better Agility
- How to Pick a Fitness Tracker That's Right for You
- Health Tip: Help Create a Healthy Community
- Safety First When Running Outdoors
- Marathons Can Tax Amateurs' Hearts
- Only Endurance Exercise May Slow Aging
- Get the Most From Your Cardio Workouts
- 5 Ways to Push Yourself to Stay Fit
- Hey Runners, Be Sure to Choose the Right Shoes
- Running in the Cold: How to Survive and Thrive
- Study Gets to the Core of Back Pain in Runners
- Health Tip: Running When the Weather Gets Colder
- Styling a Home Gym
- Death Risk From Triathlons May Be Higher Than Thought
- As Irma Aims for Florida, Residents Prepare for the Worst
- Make Exercise a Work-in-Progress
- Even a One-Minute Run Might Help a Woman's Bones
- Flip-flops: Fun in the Sun, but Tough on Feet
- Being Thin Could Boost Stress Fracture Risk in Female Runners
- High-Intensity Exercise May Be Bad for the Bowels
- Even Your Bones Can Get Fat, Mouse Study Suggests
- Marathon Runs Won't Harm Your Arteries
- Compression Tights Won't Trim Running Times
- Supercharging Exercise With Interval Training
- Time to Take Your Workouts Outside
- Getting Back on Track With Exercise
- Walking vs. Running -- Which Is Better?
- More Active Kids Could Save U.S. Billions in Health Costs: Study
- Get Out There and Exercise
- Walk Your Way to Better Brain Health?
- Health Tip: Don't Let Boredom Thwart Your Workout
- Stronger Muscles May Pump Up Kids' Memory Skills
- Health Tip: Stay Aware While Running
- 1 Hour of Running Extends Life by 7 Hours: Study
- Don't Bank on Heart-Rate Accuracy From Your Activity Tracker
- Teens Who Are Lazy Bones Have Weaker Skeletons: Study
- Elite Runners, Women the First Marathoners to Lose to Father Time
- Marathon Running May Cause Short-Term Kidney Injury
- Fitbits, Other Trackers May Be Unfit to Measure Heart Rate
- Older Bones Benefit From Dairy Plus Vitamin D
- Live Healthy, Live Longer
- U.S. Life Expectancy May Rise to Over 80 by 2030
- ACL Tears on the Rise Among Kids, Especially Girls
- Gym Membership Makes Your Heart Fitter, Too
- High-Mileage Runners Expend Less Energy
- Jet Lag a Drag on Pro Baseball Players
- Exercise Rates Often Decline After Cancer Diagnosis
- 8 People Infected in Rare U.S. Outbreak of Rat Virus
- Even a Little Daily Activity May Boost Colon Cancer Survival: Study
- Should More Kids Have Their Tonsils Out?
- Wearable Sensors May Spot Illness Before Symptoms Start
- Scans Hint at Running's Brain Benefits, Even When Young
- Can You Play 'Catch-Up' and Be Healthy?
- Is Running Bad for Your Knees?
- Secrets of Metabolism
- Serious Yoga Injuries, Though Rare, Are on the Rise
- Optimism May Propel Women to a Longer Life
- 'Magic Mushroom' Chemical Eases Cancer Patients' Despair
- Health Tip: At Risk of a Sprained Ankle?
- Health Tip: Preparing for Your First 5k Run
- Health Tip: Don't Nullify Your Workout
- Device Shows Promise Against Tough-to-Treat Heart Failure
- Friendly Competition on Social Media May Get You to the Gym
- Tips for Keeping Halloween Safe and Fun
- Cartilage From Nose Used to Repair Bum Knees
- Fitbit, Other Heart Rate Wristbands Often Inaccurate: Study
- What Twins Are Teaching the Rest of Us
- 9 of 10 U.S. Teens Don't Get Enough Exercise
- What's Regular Exercise Worth? Maybe $2,500 Per Year
- Health Tip: Visit Your Local Farmer's Market
- Health Tip: Help Kids Get Enough Exercise
- Health Tip: Buy the Right Running Shoes
- Regular Exercise: Antidote for Deadly Diseases?
- Don't Shrug Off Shoulder Safety When Playing Summer Sports
- Health Tip: Did You Strain Your Hamstring?
- Get Outside, Get Moving to Prevent 'Gamer's Thumb'
- Don't Let Painful Blisters Spoil Your Summer Fun
- What's Lurking in Your Beach's Water?
- Health Tip: Recognizing Risk Factors for Plantar Fasciitis
- Long Work Hours May Hurt Your Health
- Older Runners Can Maintain Their 'Fuel Efficiency'
- Baby's Early Walking May Mean Stronger Bones as Teen
- Health Tip: Practice Rhythmic Breathing
- A Barefoot Run Might Be a Brain Booster
- Non-Surgical Procedure May Be New Weight-Loss Tool
- Mom's Smoking May Put Kids at Higher Risk of COPD in Adulthood
- Recovery From Ultramarathon May Take Up to 5 Days
- Are Women the Key to Unlocking Alzheimer's?
- Health Tip: Considering a Humidifier?
- Carbs Fuel Long Runs: Study
- Long-Distance Running Takes Toll on Joints, But It May Be Temporary
- Short Legs May Explain Why Toddlers Teeter
- More Exercise = More Fat Loss for Older Women, Study Finds
- Watch Out for Disease-Carrying Insects This Summer
- The Benefits of Exercise Go Way Beyond the Muscles
- Most Physical Activity Helps You Sleep Better
- How Safe Is Exercise for Those With Common Irregular Heartbeat?
- Salt Pills Do Little for Endurance Athletes: Study
- Long-Distance Runners May Have More 'Desirable' Genes: Study
- Should Older Runners Embrace the 'Barefoot' Craze?
- Any Exercise Is Good, But Higher-Intensity May Be Better
- Health Tip: Recovering From a Run
- Achilles Tendon Can Handle Downhill Running: Study
- Health Tip: Vary Your Exercise Regimen
- When It Comes to Jogging, Easy Does It, Study Suggests
- Exercise May Tone Up Women's Bodies and Minds
- Health Tip: Get Weight-Bearing Exercise
- Health Tip: Finding Time for Fitness
- Can Brain Training Give Athletes a Winning Edge?
- Jogging May Help Seniors Walk Better
- Running Won't Raise Risk of Knee Arthritis, Study Says
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Post-Run Snack
- 'To Burn Off Calories in This Soda, Walk 5 Miles'
- Health Tip: Strained Hamstring?
- West African Leaders Plead for More Ebola Aid
- After-School Exercise Yields Brain Gains: Study
- Health Tip: Creating a Circuit Training Workout
- Exercise May Guard Against Irregular Heartbeat in Older Women
- Heat Stroke a Greater Threat to Endurance Runners Than Heart Problems: Study
- Running Could Add 3 Years to Your Lifespan
- Prepare for Summer Sports to Avoid Injury
- Injection Treatment No Help for Hamstring Injuries, Study Says
- Health Tip: Preventing Heel Pain
- 40 Isn't Too Old To Start Intensive Exercise, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Reducing Your Risk of Stress Fractures
- Health Tip: Running on a Trail
- How to Keep Your Fitness Goals on Track
- Health Tip: Run Safely
- Too Much Running Tied to Shorter Lifespan, Studies Find
- Running Might Beat Walking for Breast Cancer Survivors
- Ready to Get in Shape? Ease Into Exercise, Experts Say
- Ease Into a Workout Program to Prevent Injuries
- Just 1 in 4 U.S. Teens Gets Enough Exercise: Report
- Ultramarathoners: How's Their Health?
- The Best New Year's Resolutions Are Those You Can Keep
- Health Tip: Ready, Set, Ski!
- Kids Worldwide Getting Less Heart Fit, Research Shows
- Aerobics Might Boost Brain Health for Older Adults
- Health Tip: Exercise to Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Health Tip: Run Safely in Cold Weather
- 10K Races in U.S. Attract New Breed of Runners
- Can Marathons Temporarily Hurt the Heart?
- A Father and Daughter's Race to Beat Leukemia
- Last Two Ozone-Depleting Inhalers Being Phased Out
- Health Tip: When Athletes Smoke
- Daily Walk May Cut Your Breast Cancer Risk
- 7 Surprising Things About the Affordable Care Act
- Your Feet Aren't So Evolved After All, Study Reveals
- Health Tip: Running in Hot Weather
- Smartphone Apps Can Make Workouts More Fun
- And America's Fittest City Is...
- Health Tip: Pack the Right Equipment for Running Trails
- Health Tip: Run Smart, Run Safe
- Health Tip: Ready to Run?
- 'Mobility Shoes' May Help Those With Arthritic Knees: Study
- Want to Lose Weight? Then Run, Don't Walk: Study
- Brisk Walking Equals Running for Heart Health: Study
- Health Tip: Don't Ignore Pain During Exercise
- Cartilage Gives Early Warning of Arthritis, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Take a Hike -- In the Right Shoes
- Short-Term Exercise Might Boost Young People's Self-Control
- Fitness Experts Dispel Common Exercise Myths
- Why Some Wolves Became Dogs
- Keeping Cold-Weather Exercise Fresh, Not Frozen
- Health Tip: Avoid Beginners' Workout Injuries
- Hair Concerns May Discourage Exercise for Some Black Women
- Olympic Medalists Live Longer
- Health Tip: If You've Got Knee Arthritis
- Too Much or Too Little Activity Can Spur Knee Problems
- Home Is Where the Hearth Is
- Elevated BP May Prematurely Age the Brain
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Interval Training Burns More Calories in Less Time
- Health Tip: Beat Boredom
- Health Tip: Choosing the Right Running Shoes
- Exercise Programs for Kids Seem to Have Little Impact: Study
- Health Tip: Kids on the Run
- Marathons Safe for Aging Boomers, Study Finds
- Less Is More With Exercise, Study Says
- 30 Minutes of Daily Exercise Enough to Shed Pounds
- Obesity in Middle Age Tied to More Rapid Mental Decline: Study
- Health Tip: Hiking or Running on a Trail
- Why Johnny Can't Run
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- Kids' Track Injuries Surge in US
- Active, Outdoor Teens Are Happier Teens: Study
- Runners May Live Longer
- Can Too Much Exercise Be Harmful?
- Barefoot Running Can Be Great, but Tread Carefully
- Vigorous Exercise Might Protect Against Psoriasis
- Vigorous Exercise Might Keep Psoriasis at Bay
- Health Tip: Use Proper Form When Running
- Evolution May Explain 'Runner's High,' Study Says
- Exercise May Boost Survival in Breast, Colon Cancer Patients
- Joggers Live Longer, Study Says
- Leisurely Strolls More Popular, Yet Walk Times Shorter: CDC
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- New Guidelines Link Lifestyle to Cancer Survival
- Health Tip: Stress Fracture of the Foot
- Any Exercise May Cut Alzheimer's Risk at Any Age
- Exercise Benefits Breast Cancer Patients
- Overuse Injuries Common Among Female College Athletes
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Health Tip: Why You Need Aerobic Exercise
- Keep Youth Baseball Players Safe on the Field
- Too Much Exercise Delays Pregnancy in Normal-Weight Women: Study
- High Heels Can Bring on Ingrown Toenails
- Wanted: Female Nurses for Large, Ongoing Study
- Exercise in Pregnancy Safe for Baby, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Hip Bursitis?
- Female Soccer Players May Face Health Problems: Study
- New Therapy Might Help Relieve Painful Foot Condition
- Health Tip: Help Prevent a Stress Fracture
- Study: Stents as Good as Surgery at Keeping Neck Arteries Open
- Cardiac Arrest Risk Low in Marathons, Study Finds
- Study: Preschools Forgo Free Play for Safety, Academics
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- Discerning Gift-Givers Look for Toys That Offer More Than Fun
- Moms of Preemies Face Health Problems, Too
- Health Highlights: Dec. 13, 2011
- For Older Runners, the Message Is: Keep Those Legs Pumping
- Bedbugs: Why They're Back
- Want to Live Longer? Fit Outweighs Fat
- Coffee May Cut Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Happy People Live Longer?
- Study: 'Thyroid Support' Supplements May Be Risky
- Knee Injuries on the Rise in Young Athletes
- Older Women Say They Want More Sex, Not Less
- Laughter Might Be Good Medicine for Alzheimer's Patients
- Does Beetroot Improve a Runner's Time?
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Risk of 'Silent' Stroke
- Some Athletic Girls Risk Stress Fractures
- Where Do the Most Active People Live?
- 'Do Your Part,' Michelle Obama Says on 'Let's Move' 1st Anniversary
- Sitting for Too Long Is Bad for Your Health
- Weight Loss During Marathon Improves Running Time
- Pre-Run Stretch May Hurt Endurance
- 10 Ways to Manage Low Back Pain at Home
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Fitness 101: Beginner's Guide to Exercise
- Exercise to Lose Weight
- Cross Training: Get Stronger and Leaner
- Runner's High: Is It for Real?
- Fitness Basics: Tips to Help You Start Running
- Running: Preventing and Treating Common Running Injuries
- Fitness: Training for the Big Run
- Running: Back on Track
- Fitness: Ready, Set, Jog
- Fitness: Runners, On Your Mark, Get Set, Walk!
- Run-Walk: Wogging
- Running: You Can Become a Runner