Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I saw my general physician today and he thinks I had/have rotavirus. It began 2 weeks ago. I was out to dinner (before eating) and began to feel extremely fatigued. I rushed dinner to get home to go to rest. I ran a low grade fever, but in the morning felt better and proceeded to work. I lasted about 7, not 8 hours, came home and went to bed. The next day, I felt worse, ran a fever of almost 103, stayed home and eventually went to the minor emergency room (ER) where they tested me for a UTI (urinary tract infection), which was negative. They thought it was probably a virus. I suffered at home another 4 days, unable to go to work, with a roller coaster fever between 101 and normal on alternate days. The muscle aches were terrible, and I had frequent watery diarrhea. I vomited only 1 day, and maintained my appetite for the most part, the rest of the time. I was losing the hydration battle, so I admitted myself to the ER. They noted extreme dehydration, low potassium and some loss of kidney function resulting from the dehydration. But they also noted an elevated heart enzyme (troponin) which is secreted when you have a myocardial infarction, or when your body is under stress. From then on, I was classified as a cardiac patient consuming a cardiac diet. A chest x-ray, EKG, CT scan, ultra-sound, (after which they were going to surgically remove my gall bladder, but did not!) blood cultures, a telemetry pack, 3 stool samples and urinalysis, as well as an echocardiogram and nuclear stress test were all negative, but not before they nearly scared me to death from all the speculation! I was treated with potassium chloride IVS, as well as infusions of antibiotics, though I never had an elevated white count. What a nightmare! I was discharged after 4 awful days in the hospital, with the insight that I had a gastroenterological virus! I still had watery diarrhea and a low-grade fever upon discharge. I came home, invoked the BRAT diet, took potassium supplements, and did not work for another 2 days, and then resumed 1/2 day before working one full day. The next day (today) I had the follow-up with my doctor, who had a lot to say about my general overall great health, but felt I had contracted the rotavirus at the school where I counsel military students. He said I was doing well, but probably would not be 100 percent for another week or two. Can you believe it! I am 70 years old, have beat cancer, walk 7 miles a day, take only medicines for high blood pressure, and have been sick 2 times in the last 15 years. This bug almost did me in! I do not wish it on my worst enemy.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I caught rotavirus from the kids I work with. Day one was extreme fatigue, followed that evening by muscle aches and fever. No head symptoms (sore throat, congestion) whatsoever, which made me realize this wasn't the usual flu. Nausea started that evening and continued for several days. By that evening and the following day I couldn't even try to prepare food without almost vomiting from the sight of it. For the next few days I couldn't get out of bed, or eat. I couldn't move without horrendous stomach pain and have never felt so tired and weak. Watery diarrhea didn't set in until the last few days. I lost about 5 pounds from the experience.

Comment from: Dara, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My daughter who is 2 years old was diagnosed with rotavirus 7 days ago. She vomited twice and had diarrhea three times, all in the course of two hours. I took her to the emergency room since she started to look pale and weak. They gave her IV and took blood samples whereby she was diagnosed with rotavirus. This stuff is no joke. She is still sick today and I'm taking her back to the doctor tomorrow since her medicine has run out. She had no fever and thankfully her diarrhea is only 4 times a day maximum. Even then she lost 2 pounds in the first 2 days of being sick. So if your kid starts to vomit and have diarrhea, better ask for blood or stool samples to be taken. Luckily, my daughter has had the rotavirus vaccine prior to this, so it's not as bad as some of the other cases. But still, it's worrying for a mom.

Comment from: Mommy1, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My 2 years 4 months old got the rotavirus during our trip to Houston, Texas. Episodes of vomiting exhausted him more than the diarrhea. He couldn't keep anything, literally anything inside! Eventually sucking lollipop (very little) and sips of water with long interval helped but most helpful was yoghurt that contains probiotic! Yoghurt and vitamin C (lemon juice, orange) helped like magic!

Comment from: julie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My daughter picked up rotavirus from her cousin when she was 3. She had severe vomiting and diarrhea and was diagnosed by her pediatrician. The virus destroyed the healthy bacteria in her intestines, and she was lactose intolerant for a full six months after the infection. We had to very gradually reintroduce milk/dairy. It took a full year for her system to be back to normal and able to digest dairy.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a transplant patient and on immunosuppressant drugs. I got rotavirus and just spent 3 days in the hospital getting rehydrated. No idea where I picked it up but it was the worst diarrhea I have ever had. They gave me 4 liters IV to get me rehydrated. This stuff is awful!

Comment from: SinCGirlNY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got this rotavirus from goodness knows where but it is the worst. I was feeling ok, then at 4:30 AM I couldn't stop throwing up and the runs were the worst. I had to get 2 IV bags of fluid and I'm still not great. I can keep food down but I still have the runs and my tummy is grumbling so loud. I don't wish this on anyone. I wash my hands all the time but I work with small children and I have a feeling I caught it from them. All I can say is go to the doctor and get fluids. It is a must, without those 2 IV bags I would be in the hospital for sure. I'm 44 years old and this is just a kid thing.

Comment from: samfry30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm in Vietnam at the moment and I have rotavirus and bacterial gastroenteritis. I've had no vomiting, but I've suffered from extreme dehydration brought on by diarrhea. I had to go to the toilet every twenty minutes last night so I went to the emergency ward of an international clinic. They tested a stool sample and confirmed the diagnosis. I'm taking antibiotics for the bacterial infection and the diarrhea has been cleaned up by a product called Smecta. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm still incredibly run down. I'm drinking electrolytes and also taking a probiotic called Enterogermina. This all seems to be working, but I'm worried about my girlfriend contracting it given that she had an emergency cholecystectomy last week. This is a terrible virus.

Comment from: Lorraine Street, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Rotavirus just ran through my family. My 4-year-old daughter picked it up first while we were on our last day of vacation. She had to ride the three-hour flight back home with it, and it was the worst thing in the world. The entire night before we left, she either vomited or dry heaved at least every 15 minutes. It was uncontrollable. Then at the airport, she picked up the diarrhea along with the vomiting. It lasted two days with her. By the second day, she was taking liquids. Then I picked it up the next day. I ended up in the hospital because I felt the dehydration was going to make me pass out. All I can say is: Don't hesitate to check yourself in at the hospital. After four hours with IV fluids and anti-nausea meds, I was 90% better than when I walked into the place. My son is now fighting it. This stuff is no joke!

Comment from: RotaHater, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Rotavirus is extremely horrible! It has gone through our family four or five times over the last seven years. I have it now. I'm on my third day with it. For us, it hits like a ton of bricks and puts you on the bathroom floor with watery vomit and diarrhea that doesn't seem as if it will ever end accompanied by the worst sick, flu-like feeling you could imagine. It's very traumatic. If this is your first time with it, the first eight to 12 hours are the worst, gradually getting better as the hours go by. The next day or two are just cramping, soreness, and fatigue, but not so much the flu-like feeling. This time I spent about 12 miserable hours on the bathroom floor. The kids usually get hospitalized for a day or two for dehydration. This stuff is extremely contagious. The white can of Lysol says on the back that it kills rotavirus. Good luck, it will pass. Stay hydrated, and go get an IV at a hospital if needed. I'm not a doctor, so this is not professional advice, just my experience; yours may be different.

Comment from: bayly'smom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My 18-month-old son is still recovering from rotavirus. It started with vomiting during the night. He vomited more than 15 times in the course of only five hours. Then the diarrhea began. I took him to the emergency room as per our pediatrician, and they hooked him up to an IV for dehydration. After three hours, they sent us home. Once home, he was unable to keep anything down and the diarrhea only got worse. The next morning, he woke with a high fever, and we were back to the ER. He was extremely lethargic and wanted to sleep all the time. I held him in the ER for more than seven hours before they finally admitted him to the hospital. He was hooked up to an IV again. They tested his stool, and he was diagnosed with rotavirus by the next day. He was finally able to keep liquids down, and then we slowly started him on the BRAT diet. By the fourth day in the hospital, he finally had a firm stool and was permitted to go home. This was a very traumatic experience for me as a mother to watch my small child experience. We never had quite an experience like this with our older son who is 5. It has been two weeks since this all started, and he is still on a restricted diet. He has not tolerated milk. As I have researched more about this virus, I find it important to share with others to keep milk and apple juice out of their diet. I had no idea about the “no apple juice rule,” and I have been giving it to him since we have been home. This has been very frustrating trying to figure out what to feed him and let him drink without giving him a relapse of the diarrhea. I made homemade chicken soup and that has been good.

Comment from: Steven216, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got up yesterday at 6 a.m. for work, and the rotavirus didn't hit me till I got there (40 minutes away). I carpooled so I was stuck for 10 hours. I couldn't hold down nearly anything, and threw up food from the night before; any water/drinks find their way back up. This virus has even messed with me holding down some ginger ale – I just vomit the whole drink an hour or so later. Don't even get me started on the diarrhea -- the only thing I'll say on that one is if I had some dry straw or something along those lines I could probably start a fire. I know this is not the best information, but this is just so others will know they're not alone. Then by the time I got home, I started to get the chills, followed by sweats. I've also been hit with lethargy, but can't stay asleep for more than a few hours/minutes at a time. I'm also not the type to get sick often, but when I do, watch out – it's usually something bad. It sucks, too, as this Memorial Day weekend I'm supposed to go out of town to visit some family and have a nice mini vacation, and it's also my niece's birthday on Saturday. Here's hoping I don't have it for a prolonged period. Heck, even a medical allergic reaction I had as a kid to an antibiotic, or nearly dying from another random allergic reaction didn't make me feel this bad, just itchy. I'm the only one in my household who has contracted this, even though I haven't gone to the doctor yet. My mother is a nurse with 40 years of experience, and she told me the rotavirus was going around the city. All of my symptoms point to this. If only I could slap whoever passed this to me, as I always wash my hands and such. Well I wouldn't wish this on anybody. This is the second day of the illness and I hope things don't get worse. Before today I'd never even heard of this virus.

Comment from: Stormingaston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My 5-year-old daughter's symptoms began with a fever, then nausea, severe vomiting, and diarrhea for five days. During the first visit to the ER, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. After three ER visits in six days, she was finally admitted to the hospital with dehydration and tested positive for the rotavirus. I believe that sometime in between a doctor's follow-up visit or the first ER visit, she contracted the rotavirus. It took three days for her to regain her appetite and she lost four pounds in six days. My symptoms began just after returning home from the hospital with my daughter. I started with a low-grade fever; then progressed to extreme nausea and uncontrollable diarrhea. The diarrhea lasted two days. I felt very weak on the third day, but was able to eat and drink. The first 32 hours were difficult to keep down any drinks. I did, however, take an anti-nausea medication that helped so I did not vomit.

Comment from: Ohvultura, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Rotavirus is highly contagious. Both of my children started vomiting in the night and then getting watery diarrhea whenever they drank anything (even just a sip of water). My 20-month-old's ended after three days (but we took her to the doctor who gave her anti-diarrheal meds), and she was weak for a few days after that. My 4-year-old is on day four now and still has that obnoxious smelly, watery diarrhea with the round white "wheels" in it. This is truly the virus from hell! I have never cleaned up such a mess nor seen kids suffer with a "stomach bug" as long as this. I'm just wondering why the vaccine was never given!

Comment from: dmom07, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My son is 22 months old and has had diarrhea since Monday. By Tuesday he was having 5+ watery stools a day! He hasn't wanted to eat, but wanted to drink everything in sight! We are now at Friday and last night he vomited the small amount of water he drank and then did the same this morning. When I went to get him out of his chair he held his hand up to grab mine and his hand was shaking. His legs were wobbly and he just hasn't looked well for a couple days. I did take him to urgent care Tuesday evening and they said that it was probably just a viral thing and he should get past it. But with his episode this morning I took him back and they had to do IV fluids because he was so dehydrated, which for us moms is probably one of the scariest things to watch! If I had known anything about this I would have asked them to test him on Tuesday but I had no clue. I never even heard of it! So tell all your friends that have kids if they have these symptoms to go to the doctor and ask about rotavirus! It is not the virus that's life threatening. It is the dehydration that comes with it! And my son's doctor said no Gatorade it has too much sugar. Pedialyte is best in small amounts!

Comment from: mommy22, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My daughter is 2, and she had rotavirus. It started with just vomiting and severe watery poop. I -- being the over-protective parent -- took her to the hospital because she became very sleepy and couldn't stop vomiting and pooping. They kept her in the hospital in isolation for four days with IV fluids. It was horrible. I have a 4-month old who I hope doesn't get it. She is doing a lot better. She's eating and doesn't have a fever anymore. Now all we are dealing with is the watery poop!

Comment from: stacela, Published: March 25

My son was diagnosed with rotavirus today. His symptoms include fever, stomach cramping, watery diarrhea, and vomiting. If he eats or drinks anything, it does not stay down. We have been told he's not dehydrated even though he has dry lips, veins are not showing in his wrists as usual, and when you push on his skin, the color does not come back. We were told to look under his tongue for saliva. Also, we were told that symptoms would last five to 10 days.

Comment from: newbaby52008, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 9month old son has just came out of hospital, he started off with the runs then being sick every time he ate, one night he woke screaming and vomited all over then caught his breath and couldn't get it back so we had to phone an ambulance that took him straight to hospital and was told he had a virus. On the day we were told he could go home he started to vomit severely, so doctors kept him in to keep eye on him. He lost 2 months worth of weight; it was distressing to watch him go through it. Oh and he had watery poo all the time. He had x-rays done, blood tests and poo tests then at night he was weak so doctors put him on a drip, but he still continued to vomit and have the runs so docs came round and said to take him home to see how he progresses at home as he could be picking more infections up in the hospital and today he is getting better, having solid poo's and no sick for 24hrs, so looks like he on the mend. Got all tests back fine appart from his poo they found the rotavirus infection so that was a relief to know what it actualy was.

Comment from: mattysmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 4yr old son got this horrible virus on a Sunday morning, starting with diarrhea. I have never in my life smelled anything so bad. About 2 hours later he was vomiting and running a fever. We are now on day 6 and still having bouts of either throwing up or diarrhea. After 5 days I took him to the Doctor only to find out there is nothing to do but let it run it's course. He is very lethargic and sleeping all the time, which is very unusual. I hope and pray that he never gets it again! Thankfully he really was listening to Miss Claire when she told him that he needed to drink or he would have to go to the hospital for IV fluids. Any mom reading this if you child is getting it or has it, keep them away from dairy products they only make the virus worse.

Comment from: cmriz83, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 19 month old son is currently in the hospital with this diagnosis. He was unable to keep any liquids or solids down for three days and became severely dehydrated. I took him to the emergency room and they immediately placed him on an IV. This will be his second night there and they will release him tomorrow. It's amazing to me how fast he declined in three days. His symptoms started on Tuesday and I took him to the hospital Thursday night. The doctors said that it was great that brought him in because of the condition he was in. The pediatrician saw him on Tuesday and I was going to bring him back on Friday, but just looking at him I knew it couldn't wait. To the moms out there, you know your children, and you know if something is wrong. Trust your instinct. I knew he wouldn't make the night and I'm glad I trusted myself.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter had rotavirus around the age of 11ish months. It was horrible. I also got it from her. She was sick for a couple weeks and lost 5 pounds. Thankfully I am what my friends call a paranoid mom and the second she got diarrhea I called the doctor and got her in the next day. Good thing I did, I started to rehydrate her and it's what saved her life! Now at 18.5 months, we think she might have it again! Thankfully, not as severe as last time. Honestly the best thing to do is listen to their cues. Keep them cool, hydrated with lots of fluids. Be patient. It's hard, both times now I myself have gotten it from my daughter, the first time the pain was to the point that I couldn't even move without screaming, so hard with an 11 month old. If your child is showing ANY symptoms get them into the doctor IMMEDIATELY.

Comment from: terrified, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is getting over rotavirus right now. She has been sick for two weeks. She was hospitalized during the mist of this, the second time taking her into the ER. They never told us what it might be the first time we were there. They did tell us adults do not get it, which is absolutely not true! Her father, two grand parents, and I all got this! Our only lasted for 24-48 hours though. Her diarrhea was yellow and smell like nothing I had ever experienced. It was coming out of her diaper and was extremely runny. She would often have 7 diapers like this in one hour! She was throwing up after every bottle or feeding. I stay home with her, and she is rarely around other children so this is so contagious that she caught it from another child she was barely around.

Comment from: tuckerkathyl, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My 2 1/2 year old son was released from the hospital yesterday with Rotavirus. It started at Midnight 2 days before with vomiting. The vomit was very thick with very little fluids. He vomited until about 2:30 am then finally went to sleep. The next morning we were wakened by very severe diarrhea. When I went to change his diaper it was still pouring out like water. It was green. He was still vomiting so we took him to the Emergency Room. He had 10 diarrhea filled diapers in the span we were in the ER and vomited while they were giving him IV fluids. They had already confirmed it was the Rotavirus, but was hoping that he would be able to keep foods down orally. We was then admitted and given IV Phenergan to stop the vomiting. He started a severe fever about 8:00 pm that night around 105 degrees. It improved with Tylenol then started back 3 hours later. It went up to 103 degrees. Motrin was then given and it stayed down until the morning. His diarrhea persisted throughout the night. Now a green mucous like diarrhea. The next morning was still questionable. He was given Motrin again and was continued on IV fluids. 3 hours later he was like a new child. He is at home and still having diarrhea. We are having difficulty getting him to drink fluids. He did not have a wet diaper this morning when he woke up. He is drinking his lactose free milk however, and some hydration replenishing fluids. His diaper rash is horrendous and we have used everything on the market as well as prescription. We are checking him every 15 to 30 minutes. The diarrhea is till watery and green. The doctor said it would last up to 1 - 2weeks.

Comment from: megnicpar, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is 9 months old. It started with her being clingy and cranky, both of which are very different for her. As well as eating half the amount she normally did for both lunch and dinner. The following morning she surprised me with a very full diarrhea diaper, also not normal for her. That was the beginning. She proceeded to throw up once and have 13 diarrhea diapers before my sister and I took her to the E.R. as per the Pediatricians recommendation. She had 2 more diarrhea diapers in the 3 1/2 hours we were there and would not drink the Pedialyte she was given by the nurse. We were discharged due to her having 3 wet diapers in the past 8 hours. The next morning she threw up again and was still having diarrhea so we went to see the Pediatrician as per the E.R. recommendation. My daughter had 2 diarrhea diapers while at the Pediatrician's office, and she threw up on the doctor's shoes as well as all over the floor. Throughout the day she was exhausted and wanted to be held unless she was sleeping. I followed the Pediatrician's strict instructions to get and keep fluids in her. The 3rd morning she woke me when she threw up while on her back, and soon had another diarrhea diaper approx. 6 diapers the entire day. She was very lethargic that day. Trying to push fluids as much as we could. She just wanted to be held and sleep. We are on our fourth day now, she throws up in the morning, approx. 30 min or so after her morning feeding.

Comment from: scared, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My son had rotavirus at 11 months in 2006. It started with him vomiting four times within three hours in the middle of the night. Then he had light green, very noxious smelling diarrhea after every bottle of milk. We were very scared and had to take him to the emergency room. He wasn't dehydrated, fortunately, but he was weak and lethargic, and it lasted for about two weeks. We brought him to urgent care a week later because he still had diarrhea five to six times a day.

Comment from: Quilter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Children are not the only ones who get this rotavirus. I am 70 years young, and I have had this terrible thing going on for the past two months. I became terribly dehydrated and my blood pressure dropped 62 points. I also missed quite a bit of work. I slept a lot between bouts in the bathroom. I was very weak. Now I'm on the mend and back to work. I'm slowly gaining my strength back but still sleeping a lot. My personal interests are still on hold. This was not a fun thing to get.

Comment from: patricia, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My five-year-old daughter was just diagnosed with this. It has been horrible for her and the family to watch her go through this. She has had severe watery diarrhea and an on again off again fever for six days now. I took her to the ER last night, because she has hardly eaten this week because her stomach hurts so bad, plus I suspected dehydration. I gave her Immodium for a day because her bottom was so raw from going to the bathroom so much, but then the doctor later told me not to give it to her, because the body's was of expelling this virus is through vomiting or pooping it out. This virus is no joke.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

I caught the rotavirus from a baby. Thank goodness all i had was diaherra for 7 days. Then my special needs sister got it horribly. 9 hours of vomiting and along came the diarrhea. She caught it on a Wednesday and now it is Sunday and still has diarrhea. It is a horrible virus

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

My 3-year-old had rotavirus. She was in the hospital for four days on IV fluids. She was very sick. Her temperature went up to 105.2. She couldn't keep down anything. She slept all day until the nurse would come in, and even then sometimes she wouldn't wake up.

Comment from: Niehle, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

My little one year old is going through rotavirus right now. It came on while she was also battling strep throat so we weren't sure what were symptoms of strep and what was not, until one nasty diaper that caused her bottom and genitalia to become cardinal red and blister in one hour. I did notice white, tiny round things in her stool and I guess that's the "wheel" they were referring to in the article. We are on our third day and she is doing much better. Some helpful hints: Lotrimin cream on any red, bumpy areas (can be yeast) and Milk of Magnesia lightly tapped onto the red area. Lastly, a bath with baking soda really helps take the burn (acid) out of the skin. Hope this helps someone who, like me, had no idea what to do.

Published: July 10

My son had rotavirus when he was one...no one knew and it came and left several times before a nurse could tell me what it was. She knew by the smell of his diaper. We had to feed him liquid every 30 minutes and just hold him and clean up the mess he was making. He lost a lot of weight. He now has it again, at age 2. I know this because he has the same RING around his swollen belly button. I cannot find anyone talking about this ring around the belly button. It itches, but it was a sign early on so we have been hydrating him with the vitamin water for toddlers and letting him go hog wild with bowls of chicken noodle soup. Personally, I crush up vitamin C and put in his soup. It has been 2 days and he is looking fine, still sleeping a lot but, hydrated and happy.

Comment from: Jokes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I lost my son a year ago to rotavirus. There is very little awareness about this virus. Many doctors in Nigeria know little about it and this leads to the death of many children from this virus. If parents are properly educated about this virus, deaths will be prevented.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My one year old son is now just recovering from this horrible virus. He got it 4 days ago, and we have gone to the ER twice and his doctor twice! Nobody could tell me what it was they just said it was the stomach flu, well I just found out from his baby sitter that 5 of the kids that she watches were in the hospital because they all had Rotavirus, and it all started the same day as my son's case.

Comment from: 1mommy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter was extremely sick at nine and a half months old with Rotavirus. She got all three vaccines and still got it. It lasted 2 weeks and was terrifying as a parent to have to watch. Everyone in our household all got sick as well but ours only lasted for 24-48 hours. I quickly sterilized every inch of my entire house with baby safe products. She was hospitalized, but they sent her home still throwing up and with diarrhea because there isn't much they can do other than keeping her hydrated.

Comment from: semisebast, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My 4 year-old son currently, has the Rotavirus he began with symptoms saturday night with loose stools and on the 3rd day vomiting everything he would drink this is now Thursday and he still has loose stools and goes twice a day he has been eating, but he complains of stomach pain. I have been giving him Gatorade and Imodium Ad but I don't think the Imodium helped although he still has diarrhea I am sending him to school since I missed 3 days from work and he from school apparently, he is going to have this for the full 10 days hopefully, not.

Comment from: Sarah, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My daughter got the rotavirus vaccine at 2 months, but she ended up getting all the symptoms pretty bad within that week. After that the docs said to forgo the rest of the vaccines for it. She is now 2 and has had it about 4 times. It has such a distinct odor that you can tell what it is right away. Luckily with plenty of rest and fluids (and a whole lot of diapers, wipies and diaper rash ointment for all that wiping) she always feel better in less than a week.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter