Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children throughout the world. Almost all children have become infected with rotavirus by their third birthday. Repeat infections with different viral strains are possible, and most children have several episodes of rotavirus infection in the first years of life. Children between the ages of six and 24 months are at greatest risk for developing severe disease from rotavirus infection. Rotavirus symptoms include: fever, vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Rotavirus infection can be associated with severe dehydration in infants and children. Read more: Rotavirus Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stomach Flu vs. Food Poisoning
The stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis) and food poisoning are not the same infections. However, they do have a few similar...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Intussusception is the telescoping (prolapse) of a portion of the intestine within another immediately adjacent portion of...
Reye's syndrome (RS or Reye syndrome) is a sudden, sometimes fatal, disease of the brain with degeneration of the liver. Reye...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Prevent Rotavirus
- Vaccine Campaign in Poor Countries to Save 20 Million Lives
- Rotavirus Vaccine Cut Kids' Hospitalization, Medical Costs
- Day Care Babies Catch Stomach Bugs Earlier, But Get Fewer Later
- Norovirus a Costly Bug
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Multistate Foodborne Illness Outbreaks the Most Deadly: CDC
- Widespread Vaccination Fights Serious Stomach Infection in Kids: CDC
- Vaccination Can Cut Rates of Common Infection in Infants
- Most U.S. Babies Get Their Vaccines: CDC
- Childhood Vaccines Vindicated Once More
- Vaccine for Infant Tummy Bug Cuts Hospitalizations: CDC
- Common Infant Vaccine Tied to Slight Rise in Risk for Bowel Complication
- Stomach Bug Vaccine for Infants Protects Entire Community: CDC
- 'Cruise Ship Virus' Also Sickens 1 Million U.S. Kids Yearly
- Vaccinating Kids Against Common Gut Bug Helps Shield Adults Too: Study
- Childhood Vaccination Rates Remain High, CDC Says
- Vaccinations Belong on Parents' Back-to-School Checklists
- Rotavirus Vaccine Not Linked to Risk of Intestinal Disorder
- Rotavirus Vaccine Linked to Bowel Disorder
- Health Tip: Treating Rotavirus at Home
- Rotavirus Vaccine Trials Show Positive Results in Africa, Asia
- Rotavirus Vaccine Helps Kids Avoid Severe Gastro Illness
- FDA: Rotavirus Vaccines Safe Despite Pig Virus
- FDA Asks Docs to Suspend Using Glaxo Rotavirus Vaccine
- Rotavirus Vaccine Could Save Millions of Children Worldwide
- FDA OKs New Rotavirus Vaccine