Patient Comments: Roseola - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

MY 8 month old had three days of fever which started with an emergency room (ER) visit for a fever of 104.3. I was sent home with an antibiotic and a diagnosis of ear infection/teething which may have been possible but I doubted. Doctor could not see in the ear canal due to wax and didn't seem 100 percent; it was infected but gave antibiotic anyway. The fever spiked to as high as 106.1, yes, 106.1 not 100.6 as the doctor said it must have been. The ER was slow to react when she was again admitted with a fever of 104.3. Within an hour it was 105.6 and they finally reacted. We were transferred to an awesome children's hospital who immediately noted swollen lymph nodes on the back of her skull (a classic symptom that I couldn't feel myself) and neck. They alternated Motrin and Tylenol until the fever broke after three days. I am waiting for the rash. Her fever spiked uncontrollably even 30 minutes after taking Motrin, she went from 104.8 to 105.8 within minutes. Check temperature rectally every 30 minutes and trust your instinct.

Comment from: Madkat1000, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My daughter was just diagnosed with roseola today. It started off like a cold, I took her to the doctor and they said she had double pneumonia and a mid-ear infection. I brought her back a couple of days later because of a prolonged consistent high fever of 102 to 103 F. As her fever went away, a rash started to break out, starting on her chest, and spread to her back and face.

Comment from: nolanmommy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son had roseola, and my immune system is bad so I got it too. My symptoms are a week-long low fever (so far), body aches, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme fatigue. My baby just broke the fever and got the telltale rash, and I"m really hoping that will happen for me soon.

Comment from: cutebah96, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My experience with roseola was frightening. My grand baby's fever spiked to 105.9. I thought she would start seizures or her brain would cook. I have never seen anything like it. The doctors told me exactly how it would go and they were right. Fevers lasted 4 days, when they stop at 4 days the rash starts and last 4 days as of now we are on day 3 of the rash. On top of the fever I was scared of dehydration. I couldn't get her to eat or drink anything not even a popsicle. She is 17 months old and during all the tests they did on her we learned she has an enlarged heart. Now I have to take her to children's hospital cardiology tomorrow.

Comment from: mcbaker6, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My 26 month old was just diagnosed today with Roseola. She'd had an ear infection and was on antibiotics so honestly my husband and I didn't think too much when she developed a fever of 103.9 we gave her a dose of Tylenol and it lowered some. A few hours later it kept rising, then set in the vomiting, fussiness, diarrhea, loss of appetite...we began to worry. We took her to the ER where they said it's the side effects of her antibiotics. Over the next 2 days things got much worse and our poor daughter hadn't slept or been eating. She walked up to her father and pointed at her arm and said "boo boo"... she had developed this horrible red and white blotchy rash. Instinct we dose up with benadryl and go back ER, where they claim it an allergic reaction and send us home with no meds nothing. Frustrated I Googled all the symptoms and called her DR. and said look I think my daughter has Roseola, she tells me there's no possible way because my daughter had the MMR vaccine when she was 15mos old. to bring her in first thing in the morning and we will get to the bottom of things....guess the vaccine isn't 100%.

Comment from: Mich, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My son had a febrile seizure for 20 minutes and we called an ambulance. He has had a history of a rare brain tumor and hydrocephalus, so we were afraid that something was going on again (even if it had been 2 years since then). When we got to the ER they told us that he had a fever of 102! We were so shocked! We didn't even know he was sick! He was eating normally and was in a good mood! He had had problems with teething off and on for the past few weeks, but no fever, but he was put on antibiotics 2 times for gum inflammation. However, a rash started on his neck after his second antibiotic, so we thought it was due to the antibiotic, but his doctor said it was heat rash. Unlike usual roseola, he got the neck rash about a week before the seizure and as the fever started finally lowering two days later. Now he has to get an EEG due to his prior brain history and has been put back on the same anti-seizure med he was put on after his first brain surgery. I can't believe it.

Comment from: Surf56, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My granddaughter got this out of no where. My daughter did not believe me until I emailed her this article. So she left work and took her to the doctor. Bingo grandma is right. They say you can't pass it on. I beg to differ, I ended up in the doctor's office with all the symptoms. And got a fever sore to boot. Thank you for the good information. Don't we all look forward to a time where our kids well never be ill.

Comment from: RLB41610, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 13

Our daughter is 14 months old. She woke up in the middle of the night with a very high fever which we thought was due to teething. So we put cold rags on her and gave her some liquid Tylenol. Day 2 her fever had gone up so we took her to an urgent care walk in clinic as we were out of town on vacation. The dr said her fever was 102.5 and diagnosed her with an ear infection and prescribed amoxicillin. Day 3 she seemed even worse and was very lethargic like, whimpering, shaking from the fever and would not eat or drink much. Would also throw up her milk at times. So we rushed home to her pediatrician who told us right away that she had a virus called Roseola. She told us all of her symptoms and behavior are normal and sent us home with Ibuprofen. Our daughter did not want to do anything but sleep and be held and was very weak from the lack of food in her body. We constantly offered her water and milk to keep her hydrated. Sure enough, her fever broke on day 5 and the red rash started to appear on her face, Stomach and back. She started eating and drinking more and even smiling and crawling a bit! Today is day 6 and her rash came on a bit stronger but she is fever free and getting her strength back each day but does want to sleep a lot. We hope her rash will be gone in a couple of days and she will be her normal happy, energetic self again and can enjoy life!

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
Comment from: pattyfabio, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son is 14 months old, and has been diagnosed with roseola. He has had a rash all over, and he is very irritable. He won't sleep. He wakes up crying and won't eat or take his bottles. The doctor said that's normal, and it lasts about five days. I just try to keep him hydrated with Pedialyte. I was told it was contagious for younger babies but not my older kids.

Comment from: floridagirl74, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

My daughter just turned two a few weeks ago, and after a week long family vacation she started with a fever that night, it was 104, the next night it reached 104.4 and we did go to the ER as referred by our Dr. they said it was something viral. The next day she still had a fever but only 102. The 4th day the fever was pretty much gone but by the afternoon upon returning home from a follow up at our doctor the rash started. It was on her shoulder and neck and quickly spread all over her torso, her arm and even her face and scalp. We are now on day two of the rash. The fever is gone although she is still very clingy (not normal for her). Hoping this will end in the next day or two.

Comment from: lukesmom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My 9 month old son was just diagnosed with rosella today, after 3.5 days of high (101-103) fever. He has been very irritable, cries if he is not held, has little interest in playing. It is obvious he does not feel well. He does eat much & is not sleeping... at first we thought it was teething - but the fever kept climbing. After 3.5 days of high fever with NO other symptoms, I opened his pj's this morning to find a rash (tiny red bumps) covering most of his body (head, neck, trunk and back). Hoping the rash goes away quickly.

Published: April 13

My 11 month old daughter is on day 4 of Roseola. Her fever appeared very suddenly and reached over 104 on the second night. The thing that has surprised me most (before I knew that it was Roseola) was that five minutes after giving her Calpol/ibuprofen for the fever, she would seem in high spirits, playing and laughing. However, she has generally been quite irritable and has needed a lot of cuddling. She has not eaten much but has been very thirsty. She has also not been sleeping well (and she is usually an excellent sleeper). I am looking forward to seeing the rash and knowing that the illness is on its way out.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow