Rosacea is a common chronic, inflammatory skin disease of adults. It causes acne-like symptoms and skin redness that is most pronounced over the middle third of the face. The symptoms tend to wax and wane in terms of severity over time.
Signs and symptoms of rosacea include
- redness of the face, facial flushing, or blushing,
- tiny red bumps or pimples on the face, and
- small red lines, or enlarged blood vessels (telangiectasias) on the face.
Other associated symptoms and signs can include
- eye dryness,
- puffy eyes, and a
- large and bulbous, red nose.
Most people affected by rosacea are Caucasians with fair skin.
Cause of rosacea
The cause of rosacea is unknown, but certain factors may trigger the symptoms. Common triggers for rosacea include
Other rosacea symptoms and signs
- Eye Dryness
- Large and Bulbous, Red Nose
- Puffy Eyes
- Redness of the Face, Facial Flushing, or Blushing
- Small Red Lines (Enlarged Blood Vessels) on the Face
- Tiny Red Bumps or Pimples on the Face
Main Article on Rosacea Symptoms and Signs
IMAGESBrowse our medical image collection of bacterial skin conditions such as follicultis, scarlet fever, and more See Images
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Picture of Rosacea 1
Rosacea (say "roh-ZAY-sha") is a skin disease that causes redness and pimples on your nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead. See a...
Picture of Rosacea 2
Rosacea is an inflammatory condition of the midface characterized by the presence of erythema, papules, pustules,...
Think acne and rosacea are the same? Think again. Take the Rosacea Quiz to learn all about this inflammatory skin condition.
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles, Covid-19 Rashes: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, Covid-19 rashes, eczema, shingles, psoriasis,...