Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of the facial skin, symptoms include dilation of the blood vessels and pimples (acne rosacea) in the middle third of the face. Oral and topical antibiotics are treatments for rosacea. If left untreated, rhinophyma (a disfiguring nose condition) may result. Read more: Rosacea Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rosacea, Acne, Shingles: Common Adult Skin Diseases
Learn to spot and treat skin conditions commonly found in adults such as acne, eczema, shingles, psoriasis, rosacea, hives, cold...
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Skin Conditions Quiz: Common Skin Diseases
Could you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that...
Rosacea Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Think acne and rosacea are the same? Think again. Take the Rosacea Quiz to learn all about this inflammatory skin condition....
Acne (Pimples) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Acne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are...
Picture of Rosacea 2
Rosacea is an inflammatory condition of the midface characterized by the presence of erythema, papules, pustules,...
Picture of Skin
The skin is the largest organ of the body, with a total area of about 20 square feet. See a picture of the Skin and learn more...
Picture of Jessner Facial Peel
Solid white color immediately following a Jessner TCA peel. See a picture of Jessner Facial Peel and learn more about the health...
Picture of Rosacea 1
Rosacea (say "roh-ZAY-sha") is a skin disease that causes redness and pimples on your nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead. See a...
Weird Body Quirks in Pictures: Brain Freezes, Hiccupping, & More
Ice cream brain freeze, hiccups, charley horses, vertigo--what's behind these weird body quirks anyway? Our experts explain...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Skin Health: 15 Tips for Clear Skin
Acne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of...
Skin Care to Prevent Wrinkles, Aging Skin, and Dry Skin With Pictures
See how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry...
Beauty Problems Pictures: Cellulite, Stretch Marks, and More in Pictures
Learn the connection between your appearance and health. Discover what you can do about embarrassing beauty problems from facial...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common skin disorder in which small white or red bumps appear around hair follicles on the upper...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
A sty is a bump that forms on the eyelid as a result of a blocked gland. Styes may be caused by infections, burns, or trauma to...
Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. Acne rosacea, Staphylococcal bacteria, allergies, sensitivities to makeup or contact...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Eye Care and Eye Disorder
Many common eye disorders resolve without treatment and some may be managed with over-the-counter (OTC) products. It's important...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- Metronidazole: Topical (Metrogel, Metrocream, Metrogel Vaginal, and Others)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- tretinoin (Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Atralin, Renova, Avita)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Over-the-Counter Products
- metronidazole cream, Noritate, Metrocream
- permethrin topical cream (Nix Cream, Elimite)
- tetracycline (Sumycin)
- topical clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel, ClindaDerm, Clindets, Evoclin)
- isotretinoin (Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorica, Myorisan, Zenatane, Sotret, Accutane)
- azelaic acid (Finacea, Azelex)
- minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin)
- sodium sulfacetamide suspension - topical (acne only), Klaron
- adapalene, Differin
- erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide (gel or pak), Benzamycin
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Understanding Dry Eye
- Dermatologists Cut Back on Antibiotics But Still Prescribe the Most
- Don't Want Rosacea? Drinking Coffee Might Help
- Could You Have Rosacea?
- Health Tip: Treating Rosacea
- Excess Weight May Raise Rosacea Risk
- The Couple That Lives Together Shares Skin Bacteria Together
- Can Dogs Teach Doctors New Tricks?
- White Wine May Do No Favors for a Woman's Skin
- Are People With Rosacea at Higher Risk for Alzheimer's?
- Rosacea Might Boost Parkinson's Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Coping With Rosacea
- Face Mites Might Give Clues to People's Ancestry
- Rosacea Caused Half by Nature, Half by Lifestyle: Study
- FDA Approves New Rosacea Treatment
- Once-Daily Ivermectin Is a Safe Rosacea Treatment
- Scientists Spot Genes Linked to Rosacea
- FDA Approves 1st Topical Gel to Ease Redness of Rosacea
- Health Tip: Help Tame Rosacea Flares
- Health Tip: If You Have Rosacea
- Could Bacteria in Skin Mites Help Cause Rosacea?
- Tips to Protect Skin From Cold Winter Weather
- Expert Q&A: The Best Skin Care Routine for People With Acne and Rosacea
- Health Tip: Tame Rosacea's Redness
- Health Tip: Caring for Skin With Rosacea
- Health Tip: Reducing Rosacea