Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a root canal.

Comment from: KathrynG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a tooth break and went to the dentist. He said I needed a root canal on two other teeth, not the one that originally broke. I had root canals done on both teeth the same day. I went home with prescribed antibiotics and I felt fine at first. The next day I started to notice a little swelling, and it just got worse. The procedure was performed Thursday and by Friday night my face was huge. The swelling was so severe I could not see out of one eye. The pain was terrible. I called the dentist and did not hear back until Monday. The receptionist was terrible. She was defensive and not at all sympathetic, she actually said they did everything right. When I talked to the dentist, he prescribed a new antibiotic. I am taking it now. However, the whole process was terribly unpleasant and expensive. There has to be a better way.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Jack R., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Recently, I had a root canal for the very first time in my life. The tooth was cracked some time ago, but I chose to ignore it. A mistake, but I never had any pain on that tooth. After careful consideration, I made the decision to go see a dentist. He examined the tooth along with the rest of my teeth and laid out a plan to get everything that needed to be done. Well, I am not afraid of dentist or pain, but I had not been to one in a very long time. So, I was nervous. Perhaps apprehensive, but I went. Once he numbed me up, after 15 minutes or so, he started the procedure. Aside from just a few small sensations, I felt pretty good. He had to do a filling first and clean the area up a little, but once he was done and the nerve was out, nothing after that. Now, he made the temporary crown. This took longer than the root canal itself. However, no pain. The whole affair lasted about 2 hours, total time. After the procedure, I was very numb, but no pain at all. Once the numbing shot wore off, again, no pain. Except my tongue which I accidently bit while taking the bite impression. I took one 800 Motrin. That's it. Plus one 4 mg steroid pill. Which I later regretted because that made me very hungry. Honestly folks, no two people will have the same experiences. All I can say is trust your gut instincts. Do not be afraid. Cooperate with the dentist while he or she is doing the procedure. It really makes a difference. Not all dentist are good or even great. Mine was excellent. I had no real pain during or after the root canal. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but that can be a good thing or a bad thing. Just depends. The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: NobodyUKnow, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I have had about 3 or 4 root canals. The first one was bad, the dentist was not good and had a dirty office. I should have known when I sat down in the waiting room and heard a patient moaning in the back. I had one after that that wasn't bad, and I think another one. However I had one yesterday that was the worst ever. The tooth was not even hurting when I went in but they said I needed one. He started drilling and it was agony. I had him stop. He then stuck a needle I think down into my tooth and canal, it hurt a little, but not much. Then they continued and I didn't feel any pain. I thought that was good, now we're ok. But then I felt some pain again but not too bad. He then, what I think, filled the roots and he pressed whatever it was down and it was awful. All that numbing and after that my jaw was throbbing. Afterwards, I felt a little sore but not bad, and the day after I seem to have a little soreness but it isn't bad at all at this point. My advice is make sure they numb you completely, and really they should knock you out for such a procedure. I think having a tooth pulled is far less painful, especially if you are under general anesthesia.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: woodstockrags, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

After going to the dentist for over a month for 1 small cavity, I ended up going 9 times and calling many more. I had the first filling removed and refilled using a white filling instead of silver. They wanted to do the others and I said not if I don't have to. I was still in pain, so they tried to do a filling in the tooth in front of it. They noticed I felt pain where I shouldn't have. I was in even worse pain, so they did the tooth behind it. I disagreed with it and them, saying that that isn't where the pain was, but they said let's get the first of the 2 pains fixed first, so we refilled the 3rd filling. I came back after each having to have them filed down even more. I about shot across the room when they worked on the 2nd tooth. So I would have said something was wrong with that tooth. I went back in saying I was in even more pain so they went in after 3 plus weeks of pain and they told me I had to have a root canal and that they did a partial one on it that day. It was a Thursday. I asked if I needed an antibiotic and they said no, it is infected but it will be fine. Monday morning 4:00 am I was screaming in pain as I tried sitting up in bed. I called and they said they will get me some antibiotics and to continue on the ibuprofen and Tylenol regimen. Thursday I was to have my root canal. He gave me the Novocain and asked me if I could feel my lips and I could; asked if anything was tingly, nope. After 3 1/2 hours, blacking out from feeling all of the pain, and him going to help other patients, I was done and in severe pain. I asked for something, and he said Advil and Tylenol regimen will be just fine. After an un-prescribed pain killer that knocks out migraines, and 2 trips to the emergency room (ER) I could finally talk without bawling and begging for pain relief. Two days later I had to go to ER for pain again even though I was on oxycodone. Infection felt like it was going to the brain. I am sitting at 10 days after the procedure still on pain killers, and was on Advil up to today. My stomach couldn't handle almost 400 medicines in a little over a month's time. I have diarrhea, a bad stomach ache and I still hurt in the mouth. I can't chew on that side, and anything in the mouth hurts. I went in 1 time for it to fit the bite; they might have done a root canal on the wrong tooth!

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors