Patient Comments: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Prevention

If you live in a region with ticks or previous outbreaks of RMSF, how do you try to prevent it? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kymberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I live in North Carolina. I contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF). It almost killed me because the diagnosis took so long. With 2 trips to the emergency room (ER) and 3 to my family physician. One resulting in a trip to the ER from my physician's office because I was allergic to the medicine for the RMSF. The ER physician sent me home again. It took my physician pre-admitting me to the hospital to get help. By this time I was almost dead. I spent a week in the hospital. Almost a month later I continue to have side effects from the RMSF. This is nothing to joke about. Better and more efficient testing needs to be available especially in the states where RMSF is prevalent.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Pictures Slideshow