Patient Comments: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Prognosis

Please describe your experience with Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RaleighNC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I was diagnosed and treated for Rocky Mountain spotted fever a year ago after being sick for several years. My symptoms were not typical. I never developed a rash. The worst of my symptoms were debilitating migrating joint pain, severe back pain, severe ear pain, fevers and sore throat, flu like symptoms, body and muscle aches, headaches, respiratory congestion, and exhaustion. I also experienced cognitive difficulty, memory loss, difficulty with speech, severe mood swings, depression, and anxiety.

Comment from: Kel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Bloodshot eyes, high fever, severe migrating joint pain, body aches, muscle aches, headaches, wheezing, swollen tonsils , flu like symptoms, cognitive difficulty, memory problems, and speech difficulty are my symptoms of Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It's been years and several rounds of doxycycline and I am still not well. It took years to get a diagnosis because no one took me seriously.

Comment from: NickiB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was very sick when I was, gosh, I think a toddler. I was in an oxygen tent with a high fever and the doctors didn't know what it was until my mom discovered and removed a tick in my belly button and then I started getting better. She said she wasn't told to take me to any follow-ups. All my life I have been sick. I've had nosebleeds, enlarged spleen, been anemic and catching every bug that goes around and now I have chronic ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). I just wonder if the Rocky Mountain spotted fever is the cause.

Comment from: Alison , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

It was a tremendous fight to be diagnosed. My biologist daughter diagnosed me with Rocky Mountain spotted fever. There is a 2010 report on a new Rickettsia strain. I had a pack rat at home after returning from trip in 2018. With the first attack I thought it was flu or adult chickenpox. A dying family member did not go to the doctor. After 2.5 months I made 2 useless dermatologist visits upon another attack. A trip to the emergency room had me begging the doctor to test me. She finally agreed and I was positive. I am on 2 weeks doxycycline, and now I have abdominal agony. I am due further tests.

Comment from: Dani, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

On Monday I removed a tick from my stomach. By Wednesday afternoon I was aching all over, and had chills and fever. I thought I had the flu even though it was June. By the next afternoon my body felt like a truck had hit me. Tylenol helped with fever but it never dropped below 100. I went to the doctor and with blood work of highly elevated liver enzymes and 2.5 WBC the doctor put me on doxycycline. Lab work was sent off to confirm Rocky Mountain spotted fever but I am thankful I'm being treated now.

Comment from: Doug, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I found a tick on my lower leg by the knee, and this bite itched for almost a month. During this same time I came down with a chest cold and the family doctor gave me some medications, I said something about the tick bite, but she blew it off. About 4 weeks later while being seen by a skin doctor for a checkup, I asked about this bite that still itched. She sent me for a blood test to check for any tick problems, 3 days later they called and said I had Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and have started me on medication. I never showed any signs, so I hope I am ok; but then today I removed yet another tick, crazy.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

Rocky Mountain spotted fever hit my almost-two-year-old baby after contact with a neighbor's dog which was highly infested with the rock ticks and the actual dog ticks. The bitten part became reddish and later he developed fever which we thought was malaria. Medical tests never discovered the plasmodium (malaria parasite) in him. The fever became so bad that temperatures rose to 49.7 degrees Celsius and convulsion started. It was terrible. We did not think of the tick bite as the cause. But three months later the ticks bit him again as he was playing on the veranda with the same dog, I found some ticks on his body, alas! Then he later developed a similar fever and then we realized that it was because of the ticks and so we informed the doctor who gave him proper treatment, so he did not stay long in the admission.

Comment from: Ali Cats, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain spotted fever just a few days ago and now am taking doxycycline. I am looking for something to relieve the severe forehead pain. I don't want prescription pain medications if I can avoid them.

Comment from: Arkansas, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 19

On Oct. 11, 2011, I was diagnosed with RMSF, three days after tick bites. I had the antibiotics. Four months later with continuing symptoms, I was diagnosed as having polymyalgia rheumatic, then "leaking edema of legs," pink eyes (ointment did not help), nauseated frequently, IC (interstitial cystitis), no bacteria, and frequent bruising of arms with no injury. Now I sleep with oxygen because of low oxygen on Saturday when I was sleeping. I think it is the aftermath of RMSF.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter