Early RA symptoms and signs vary differently from person to person. The most common body parts that are initially affected by RA include the small joints of the hands, wrists, and feet, and the knees and hip joints. Joint inflammation causes stiffness. Warmth, redness, and pain may vary in degree. Read more: 16 Early Symptoms and Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Quiz: What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
How is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
Famous Faces With Rheumatoid Arthritis
Learn more about the famous faces of rheumatoid arthritis such as Lucille Ball, Glenn Frey, and more....
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Fibromyalgia
Though rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia have similar symptoms, RA is an autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia is a...
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatic diseases and conditions. Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians who treat these...
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis)
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis or JRA) annually affects one child in every thousand. There are six...
Local ResourcesFind a local Infectious Disease Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Joint Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Joint Cracking (Joint Popping)
- Joint Stiffness
- Swollen Joints
- Joint Redness
- Decreased Appetite
- Joint Warmth
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Joint Deformity
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Patient: Getting the Best Care
- Rheumatoid Arthritis FAQs
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Joint Symptoms and Signs: What Do They Mean?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Which Patients Do Best?
- 5 Surprising Facts About Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Pregnancy
- Ultrasound Imaging of Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- Is Inflammatory Arthritis the Same as Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Can Milk Allergy Cause Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- What Are the Side Effects of Remicade for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Should You Avoid Drinking Soda with Rheumatoid Arthrits?
- Are Hidradenitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis Related?
- Does Lipitor Help Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Will Rheumatoid Arthritis Nodules Go Away?
- What's the Rheumatoid Arthritis Prognosis?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis
- What Are Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Living With a Chronic Disease
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Is Your Hand Pain Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel or Something Else?
- Exercising With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health Tip: Managing Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Too Much or Too Little Weight May Worsen Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Drug That Eases Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain Won't Help 'Regular' Arthritis
- Menopause May Worsen Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- If Mom Has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Baby May Develop It, Too
- These Foods May Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked to Risk of COPD
- Certain Jobs Linked to Raised Risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Fish Eaters Report Less Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- Early Treatment Equals Better Results for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Obesity May Make Rheumatoid Arthritis Tough to Spot, Track
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug May Not Ease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome After All
- Could a Germ Link Gum Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Moms' Rheumatoid Arthritis May Be Linked to Epilepsy Risk in Kids
- Having Rheumatoid Arthritis May Increase Heart Risk
- Health Tip: Ease Stress If You Have Rheumatoid Arthritis
- FDA Approves New Biological Drug for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Nerve Zap Eased Rheumatoid Arthritis in Small Study
- Study: Smoking Hikes Chances of Early Death for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Experimental Drug for Rheumatoid Arthritis Shows Promise
- Heart Disease Deaths Drop for Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Studies Explore Link Between Diet, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Heart Disease Deaths Declining Among Those With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- Rheumatoid Arthritis May Shorten Life Span: Study
- Could Oral Contraceptives Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Knee Replacement May Ease Pain for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Yoga May Improve Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Pill Cuts Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Long Before Symptoms, Blood May Reveal Rheumatoid Arthritis