Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Treatment

What was your treatment for retinal detachment? Are you satisfied with the results? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gordy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had retinal detachment surgery 5 years ago. A buckle was used to reattach the retina. Subsequently my pupil does not dilate and I get virtually no info from my ophthalmologist. It's extremely frustrating.

Comment from: Bekinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 60. I've worn glasses since I was 8. At age 55 I had cataract surgery and also PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) surgery to correct nearsightedness. Vision was perfect with reading glasses for up close reading. February 2nd of this year I noticed a flashing light and severe headache. February 16th I awoke to partial vision in left eye. Immediately I went to the eye doctor. They sent me pronto to eye retinal surgery center. I had surgery 3 hours later. They did gas bubble. I went back next day for follow-up. They removed the patch and I started with eye drops. The first week, I had no sight. Then I started to notice a line top for sight. Above the line was clear, below it was like water. Each day the line got lower and lower. But when I moved my head the line moved making me sick to my stomach. At 2 week appointment the doctor said recovery was very well. At 2 1/2 weeks I noticed small black bubbles instead of line. But they still would move. Nauseating. Then at 3 weeks the small bubbles just disappeared. Sight is very good. Floaters and flashing are gone. At 6 weeks later my night vision is still weak. But every night I go outside and walk to increase sight. I go in 3 days for my last check-up. Very lucky.

Comment from: Effie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

My niece had a silicone bubble placed to hold her retina in place. She has already lost her right eye and now she is saying that she cannot see at night. Her surgery for retinal detachment was about 15 years ago and from what I have been told the bubble can emulsify. Her sight is very limited, she also has cerebral or Erb's palsy. My sister is distraught and has asked me to research any possible solutions.

Comment from: ojion98, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had retinal detachment on a Tuesday in March, and saw a retinal specialist. He determined I had displacement with three tears. He did laser surgery immediately, it has been two months and vision is really good, still have a few floaters but healing nicely.

Comment from: Rufus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I was treated for retinal detachment, the results were displeasing, total loss of sight and occasionally the lens implant in the treated eye feels like a piece of hair is in the eye. The procedure was performed 10 years ago.

Comment from: bajajdude, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

Gas surgery with cold therapy to create a scar for traction. Good so far but its only been a week. Gas bubble is a little weird but getting smaller already.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures