Patient Comments: Retinal Detachment - Experience

Please describe your experience with retinal detachment. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Alan DJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I had cataract surgery in October and November. In January I had detached retina. I had vitrectomy and am doing fine. In October (one year since cataract) I had the other eye retina detach. At one month doctor said laser did not take and had to do another surgery. I do not really understand laser did not take. I have had 5 eye surgeries in one year; I will not go through another one.

Comment from: Beetle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

My right retina detached on the way to work. When I got to my desk I commented to my co-worker that something was wrong with my eye and she recommended that I call my eye doctor which I did. After examination, I was transferred to the hospital where I was further examined and given surgery. I had the vitrectomy, laser and the fluoropropane (long lasting) gas bubble. The tear/detachment was at the top of my eye, so my head position was head up. It is now 4 weeks post-surgery and there is probably 30 percent of the bubble left. I have had problems with eye pressure and the doctor is aggressively treating it with two glaucoma drops and a steroid (not prednisolone). In my vision field not covered by the bubble, I can see my hand in good detail. Distance vision is blurry and slightly faded like looking through lightly frosted glass. I checked my drops and found they all can cause blurred vision and sensitivity to light which I have also had. The doctor thinks my eye is healing perfectly, so given the side-effects of the drops and gas bubble, I'm optimistic for my recovery. I seem to have lost a little peripheral vision at the very bottom of my vision field, but that is not a problem so far.

Comment from: Greatcgrandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had retina surgery 3 days ago, my right eye retina was completely detached. It had been for at least 2 months before surgery and my doctor suspects it had been progressing for months before. My surgery was done with a nerve block, I was wide awake during the almost 3 hour surgery. I got the oil but no buckle. The next day on my post operation visit, when the bandage was removed my eye wasn't red and I had very little puffiness. I had better vision than before the surgery! I was given antibiotic eye drops and used OTC Tylenol for pain. Day 3 brought redness and swelling but no pain. My doctor has asked me to come back in 3 weeks and will remove the oil in 6 months. It was much easier than I expected. I think I will recover my vision completely.

Comment from: andy2is, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had first a torn retina which was fixed then it detached due to scar tissue growing under the retina. I had a buckle placed with a 2 week gas bubble. After one week the bubble was dissolving and my retina re-detached but only in one place. A 6 week gas bubble and laser work were done and after 2 weeks again, it re-detached. I'm now going to have the silicon/oil and more laser this week. This is my 3rd surgery; it is getting frustrating big time. Hopefully this procedure finally fixes my retina. I am worried about my vision from so much surgery and afterwards from new silicon/oil.

Comment from: Prix xx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I saw a dark curtain in my side vision on February 17. On February 20 I went to the doctor and was told retina was detaching. They did surgery the same day with buckle and oil. I am on my 3rd week checkup. The doctor said retina had re-detached so I had surgery next day, and this time he had peel scar tissue. Shaved a little of the retina to keep it flat, and used oil. Three weeks later I feel ok but eyes are still swollen and red. Plus once light hits my eye it leaves a glare that makes it tough to see through. I guess that's due to the oil, which will stay in for 9 more weeks or so.

Comment from: kated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

No one talks about the needles or pain during surgery for retinal detachment. I'm scared to death of the needles and being awake. I'm scheduled for a pneumatic retinopexy and vitrectomy on one eye, and cryopexy on the other eye (not the same day, of course).

Comment from: gxceb0t, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a large floater appear suddenly in my eye in October 2016. I didn't do anything about it, then in early November I started seeing black in my peripheral vision. I went to a retina specialist and had surgery that same day. I had a giant retinal tear. I had gas bubble which lasted 3 full months. By the time it went away a cataract was well formed and my vision was bad. I had a Symfony IOL (intraocular lens) implanted yesterday, mid-March 2017. I think I will have to have it touched up with Lasik but it already is a big improvement; and the vivid colors, wow! One bad thing is that so far there is a jagged 'smile' through my vision of black dots, not floaters, and I feel this may be the area of the tear I am seeing. I'm doubtful that it will ever go away, but we will see. All in all I am lucky to be seeing as well as I already am.

Comment from: CJQueso, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have sickle cell and when I was in 10th grade, 15 years old, I noticed floaters in my right eye and told my mom right away. We went to an optometrist and was diagnosed with retinal detachment and over a course of many laser eye surgeries, we finally decided for a retinal reattachment. First few weeks after the surgery were pretty brutal. I went to school with an eye patch on, and I was in the midst of trying to start driving (that obviously got held off). My vision to this day has not improved greatly. With my right eye, I can see shape and color, but I cannot distinguish anything. If you were to hold up some fingers in front of my face 70 percent of the time I will say the correct number, but sometimes a person's fingers might be in an area that I'm unable to see (small curtain near my nose). I'm living life now like a normal person, not many people know about some struggles I face, but it does prove a problem sometimes.

Comment from: Mohamed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My left retina detached subsequent to a brutal frontal blunt assault two months earlier. A high density gas was used to reattach the torn retina. The gas bubble contracted over a 5 week period. It is 4 months since my operation and my vision is still very poor and distorted with kinks and reduced image size. Due to the assault and initial surgery to augment the eye socket I have double vision. I have been advised that it takes up to a year for the retina to heal and stabilize and when it does and the vision is not restored it has very little chance of recovering. An orthoptist has to be consulted to assist in resolving the double vision. Retinal surgery is not to be taken lightly as it can recur, or as in my case it has rendered me incapable of going back to work. It negatively impacts on the quality of your life like walking outdoors requires a walking stick or being legally unfit to drive a vehicle.

Comment from: Gina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had Lasik surgery in October 1999 and suffered a detached retina in the weaker eye in November 2000. I had very slow recovery. I had to keep my head down for 10 days. Six weeks post operation I felt no better. Gas bubble in my eye showed no signs of going away. I finally showed some improvement in late December. My eye has scars, and vision has greatly deteriorated since then. The other eye is fine.

Comment from: GF, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I'm 35 and initially had PVD (peripheral vascular disease). I was seeing a lot of eye floaters and light flashes. I went to the doctor's office and he did a retinal laser to prevent the retina from tearing. Then after about a week, a large moon shape shadow appeared in the bottom of my viewing area. At first I thought it just could be a sight effect of the laser. Luckily I went to see the doctor and was told that I had a tear and detached retina. He scheduled for a surgery for me on the next day. Since I had cataract, the cataract surgery was done together with a vitrectomy, laser and he put a gas bubble. It has been 2 days since the surgery and my vision is very blurred because of the bubble. I was told to sleep in a sitting position to keep the bubble at the top. So far the dark shadow is gone but seeing that a lot of people have repeated detachment, I'm really concerned. I hope it'll be okay.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I first noticed something was wrong after a flight. With all the lights off, I saw a dim light from the corner of my eye. Later on, I noticed a flash when I would go from outdoors to indoors. That's when I went to an ophthalmologist. He said I needed laser surgery right away for a retinal tear. He put in a gas bubble and did laser surgery 3 times in one week. I had to lie on my left side for one week. My vision is now 20/20 with my glasses on after one week! I still have that annoying gas bubble, but he says it will go away. Don't delay going to the doctor. He will save your sight.

Comment from: Keith, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 41 year old male and the not so lucky one. I have had 6 retinal detachments during the past 7 months. My lens was flushed out on number 5. I also had a retinal hole laser surgery in my other eye. I had PPV (pars plana vitrectomy), gas and emotional stress. I hope this one lasts.

Comment from: 4timesuccess, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had three detached retinas and this will be my fourth next Monday. I have to say that I have had the best doctor. All of my detached surgeries have been very successful. I am one of the lucky ones I am told, but I believe it is important to have the right doctor for this kind of surgery. I have had the buckle on the first and the gas on the last two. I will be having the gas on this one that I am facing. Again to all of you who are facing this, just know that if treated with the right procedure it will all be ok. It is very important to do as your doctor says after surgery. Lie the way he wants you to for as long as he wants you to do so. I lay on my face for the last one for several days and all turned out well. I am told that this time I will be lying on my back with head elevated for this next one. Again I cannot express enough how important it is to have an excellent qualified doctor and most import to do as he says.

Comment from: Pattyj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

At age 30, I had a severe trauma to my left eye and my retina could not be reattached. I had surgery but was told that I would never be able to see out of that eye again. I think they put oil in my eye to keep it from collapsing. That was 13 years ago, now I'm noticing that eye is moving on its own, so I will be making an eye appointment as soon as possible.

Comment from: Iylia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am suffering with retinal detachment at the age of 23, and I have undergone the surgery. But I've been suffering some mild pain in the eye and it gets tired easily and also sometimes I tend to get headache because of the eye pain that I am suffering.

Comment from: memmons9, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I noticed my retinal detachment while watching TV, when I covered my other eye and saw a small black bubble near my nose next to my right eye. Prior to this, I had been noticing what I will describe as a car headlight driving by. It was not like lightning flashes. I had cataract surgery years ago with the intraocular lenses. I had surgery scleral buckle and vitrectomy. I had to sleep on my left side and then on either side or face down but never on my back. After one month I still could not see any evidence of the gas bubble dissipating. After two months the gas/gel line was right in my line of sight. After three months I still have a small bubble that is very distracting when looking down. The bubble acts like a magnifying glass in my line of sight. I have the cloudy membrane behind my lens and am scheduled for a YAG capsulotomy next week. It has been 3.5 months. I can feel the pressure of the band placed on my eye during surgery and I have double vision whenever I open my eyes wide. I don't know if these symptoms will go away with time or not.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

At 38 I had 3 retinal detachments. I have had the buckle and 3 gas bubbles. My doctor removed my lens and capsule. The vision in my left eye is very blurry. I go tomorrow for a contact lens. If my eye does not tolerate the contact lens I will have to get a permanent lens implant sewn into my eye.

Comment from: indian, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had surgery 4 years back for retinal detachment due to not seeing geometrical shapes in their actual shapes; e.g., straight lines looked curvy. After surgery also I haven't experienced much recovery in seeing geometrical shapes.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

I had my retinal detachment operation on my left eye 30 years ago, it was fine and I recovered well. However, recently, I found that my left eye cannot focus well and slides to the side when I look straight. I went to see an eye doctor and he said that my fourth nerve system on my right eye is weakening and I should have an operation on my right eye to correct my left eye's problem. I am not sure if I should take a second advice or just take the operation.

Comment from: caretaker101, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My grandmother had cataract surgery some 1 and a half months back and many problems developed. But just 3 days back did we get to know that retinal detachment was one of them! Vision loss had been there for this whole time, but everyone here in my family was inclined to treatment and cure of the other problems that had developed! Even the doctor that my grandmother had been visiting didn't tell us about the problem of retinal detachment and nobody had an idea that it was the result of the vision loss! My concern is that the new doctor we visited 3 days ago said that treatment would not result in restoration of vision because the detachment had been left untreated for a long time (a month or so). I know that vision restoration may take few months, but we're inclined for the treatment, only if there's some good chance, because it is not possible to risk some other problem occurring due to this surgery, already the problems are not few! We are from an average middle level family! Money is a factor of consideration, but we are trying our best!

Comment from: waynerp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was recently hit directly in the eye with a small ball that my 2 year old son threw at me from 2 feet away. About 2 weeks later I started to develop half circles on each side of my eye as I looked or turned right or left. Not that it bothered my vision but I was worried something was wrong so I went for an eye exam and after 2 hours of an excruciating eye exam the optometrist told me my eyes were perfect and no retina damage at all. Two days later, I was getting flashes in my eye and floaters in my vision, I wonder if I have a torn retina but how after an extensive exam it can be missed.

Comment from: Jamila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had retinal detachment. After first operation, I was able to see well, put liquid not gas and laser. Then after a month, it detached again, severe tear and the second operation did not help. Severe cataract developed and a third operation was done.

Comment from: pattyfran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had retinal reattachment surgery on Tuesday. I had the buckle and gas bubble treatment. I can barely crack it open to put drops in.

Comment from: Shadow, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had retinal surgery for detachment on January 14. At that time a gas bubble was put in during surgery, I was told that sleeping on my right side was vital. I did so for two weeks. After the next checkup I was told to switch to sleeping on my stomach. It is now about forty two days since surgery and the bubble has started to move down from the top of the eye leaving me with clear vision and no floaters. I was told by the surgeon that average healing time will be two months.

Comment from: Alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I just had the surgery to remove the oil from my 3rd retinal detachment. I now have this issue that I have bright lights in the field of vision in both eyes preventing me from being able to read the eye chart effectively.

Comment from: EKG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have been fairly near-sighted since childhood. I got a floater a couple of months ago, which I ignored because I've had many. I also then got a flashing in my right eye. I was due into the eye doctor and was going to mention this, having no idea this was an important sign of a possible tear. More education would be really great, and I plan to mention this to everyone I know. About three weeks ago, I started seeing a half moon at the lower part of the eye, and within about three to four days, my vision was half blocked by this moon. So I went to the ER, and then a retinal specialist, followed by surgery the next day for what the specialist called a "complicated" retinal detachment. I had everything done: fluid removed, gas bubble and the band. I've been feeling terrible that I didn't catch this when it was likely just a tear. It is healing well, and we are ahead of schedule. My vision is pretty off right now and the lid is still a little droopy, but each week it improves. I was praised for following the head positioning instructions, and even though it is a hassle, I strongly urge everyone with the bubble to follow these instructions most religiously. I even found a way to sleep with my head down. I also just rested a lot, no reading and all physical movements slow and careful. I think my behavior during the first week was critical in the fact that things (for the moment anyway) are healing fairly well. Don't try to be a hero ... this is your vision. I also think going directly to a retinal specialist is well worth the money.

Comment from: MT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

On a Sunday, I began to notice an area near the nose-side of my left eye. The area was gray, but I could see through it. By Monday, the area had grown to cover the center of my eye. On Monday, I saw my optometrist who referred me to a retinal specialist. The next day, I visited the specialist who immediately diagnosed me with a retinal tear and performed a procedure involving freezing and the use of a gas bubble to put pressure on the repair. This was done in the doctor's office. There was some pain and pressure, but it was not unbearable. I saw the doctor for two follow-ups within the first week. My eye patch was removed on the first visit, and I could see that the "curtain" area was now OK, but my overall vision was poor. After a month, I am much improved, but I do have some problem with floaters. I also have noticed a curvature when looking at straight objects that causes some problems with reading; the doctor described this as a retinal pucker. I return to the specialist's office in about 11 weeks to see what further action might be appropriate.

Comment from: Sightless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Over Easter, while driving to my dad's, I noticed that I could only see out of part of my right eye. I let my eye go for one week until I went to the ER on a Friday night. On Saturday morning, I was scheduled for surgery. The specialist put in a gas bubble (nightmare!). The gas bubble did not work, and I still had fluid behind my eye. Two months later, I had the buckle surgery. It has now been six months after that surgery, and I still cannot see out of my eye. I have floaters and can only make out some shapes. I go back in December to my doctor to schedule another surgery. He also told me that my left eye will need surgery to prevent retinal detachment. My advice is to get two to three specialists' opinions, and don't wait!

Comment from: Susi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have severe myopia and worn eyeglasses since age 8. My optometrist noted lattice degeneration in both eyes about 10 years ago. About seven weeks ago, I noticed flashing lights in my peripheral vision while driving at night. I mistakenly thought it was a vehicle moving into my lane! Later that evening what appeared to be wisps of dark smoke or cobwebs began floating across my right eye. I went to the ophthalmologist the next morning and was diagnosed with seven retinal tears and two detached areas in my right eye. They immediately referred me to a "retinal specialist" who said these were spontaneous tears and detachments. He performed laser therapy to "tac weld" the damaged areas in the right eye. One week later, he used a laser on my left eye as a preventive measure. My vision remains a bit blurry, but I'm hopeful it will continue to improve.

Comment from: dmd65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

One week after running into a glass window, thinking it was an open sliding door, I noticed a small, dark spot in the inside corner of my right eye. The spot grew to the point that it covered my pupil. I had retinal surgery the fourth week after the trauma. Unfortunately, my doctor said it was a floater ... I went to another doctor, and he said it was a detached retina. By the fourth week, the retina was 40% detached. Had I gone sooner for surgery, the detachment would have been less. The recovery period is critical to a successful surgery. Keep your head down, with the use of a massage chair, so that the gas bubble can put pressure on the retina. Looking back on my experience, I would have gone to the doctor that first week that the dark spot was noticeable.

Comment from: ballantray, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I am 58-year-old male in good health who has worn prescription lens for nearsightedness since I was about 12. I suffered a retinal tear about six months ago. I was treated on an out-patient basis with laser surgery. The retinal specialist who performed the laser repair was vague as to whether I had actually suffered a retinal detachment or merely a tear. In follow-up visits, I complained of discomfort to the eye, cloudiness, a slight droop in my eyelid and a slight loss of peripheral vision. At first he maintained these symptoms could not be caused by the laser or the tear. He finally admitted after six months that I "might be experiencing the symptoms" I described. Now he says the only remedy is actual surgery, which he does not recommend. He says that I am virtually certain to develop a cataract down the road that will require further surgery and contacts, which I did not tolerate well 20 years ago when I last tried them. Further, he thinks it likely I will develop other retinal tears, stating that nearsightedness is a strong risk factor for retinal tears and detachments. I felt like he did not even believe me at first and then was too narrowly focused on the retina and not on my eye's overall health or function. I don't know whether I should now seek out an ophthalmologist for my general eye care and questions about its overall condition and continue to see him on a follow-up basis or whether an optician will do, as before. All he would say was that I was probably entitled to a new pair of glasses under my insurance since the affected eye had definitely lost some acuity.

Comment from: Ed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been near-sighted since adolescence and am now 54. My retinal detachment was apparently caused by my recently rubbing my left eye too hard after removing my contact lens. I soon noticed about eight floaters and a dark gray curtain which blocked my vision on the lower third of my left eye. After a checkup at the hospital ER I was sent to an ophthalmologist. Cryo-surgery was performed in his office and a bubble inserted into my eye. My vision was restored to normal except for the bubble. My ophthalmologist told me to hold my head at an angle with my chin to my right. I tried to remember to do this when watching TV. I was told I could continue to wear contact lenses and returned to work in 3 days. My detachment reoccurred 2 weeks later.

Comment from: TJB, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

It is now eight months after detached retina surgery. My vision out of the affected eye is about 20/90 and about 40 to 50 percent smaller than what the other eye sees, thus very blurry.

Comment from: bhpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 5 weeks out from my scleral buckle surgery for retinal detachment and I still have severe limited vision. I have been told that existing cataracts could be the problem with recovery of vision along with a change in the physical shape of my eye due to the buckle.

Comment from: lostsite, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Retinal detachment recovery is a nightmare, period! Be prepared to stop driving to work, and make sure you have a supplemental disability insurance policy, because you will not be able to work for months as a result of vision loss during the period of recovery 6-16 months.

Comment from: steward, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I've had two retinal tears and one detachment this year. The first tear was preceded by flashing crescents in my peripheral vision. When it finally tore, a cloud swirled through my vision and I was in the ophthalmologist's chair within hours having the tear stitched with a laser. Six months later, I noticed a small blind spot creeping into my vision and headed to the ophthalmologist who diagnosed retinal detachment. The next day, as I headed to vitrectomy surgery, the blind spot covered half my vision. It's now 10 days after surgery and I still have a small gas bubble, but I'm seeing another shadow growing into my vision. I'm getting it checked tomorrow and dreading the diagnosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

Prompt treatment is important in the successful treatment of detachments. I diagnosed my own 21 years ago, but the doctor ignored me. He would have seen it had he dilated my eyes. Nine months later, I had a horseshoe tear repaired. I had excellent doctors, so my prognosis was good. However, I did lose vision. I had another horseshoe tear treated promptly 10 years ago. The vision in that eye is good. If your doctor is not helping you, find a specialist.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I will be having retina reattachment in two days. My doctor will be putting a gas bubble in my eye, and I will have to remain face down for a week then face up for a week. I have a massage therapy table with a donut in the end that I can use, but that table will be getting hard fast! I have no clue how I will sleep.

Comment from: blindspot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 37-years-old and noticed a dark spot on my right eye. I went to the Ophthalmologist the very next day and was immediately sent to surgery to repair the retinal detachment. My first surgery was in September and I have had two additional surgeries since then because my retina keeps re-detaching. I have had the buckle placed on, two gas bubbles and now an oil bubble. This last surgery they removed my lense and the cataract. I will have an additional surgery to remove the oil bubble and be given a replacement lense. I have spent the last two months trying to recover and I hope to have no further problems. My advice to anyone is to seek treatment the minute you see flashing lights or slow moving lights that float across your eye. I waited too long and should have been treated sooner.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 55 years old. I discovered I had a detached retina when I failed my driver test and was referred to an eye doctor. I was originally diagnosed as having a "lazy eye" in the army. I don't know how it happened except that a grenade went off, and I went into the outpatient clinic where they noticed I had a macular hole in my right eye. I have been fighting with the VA for thirty years over this being “service connected” because it was less than a month after discharge from the army that this detached retina was discovered. The operation was successful in repairing the detached retina, and now I just had a cataract removed and a lens implant this October, which so far has been successful.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

I suffered a retinal detachment two years ago. I had a band, as well as gas bubble. Vision in the eye is not great, but adequate . Since I have a good eye, I do not wear glasses most of the time. Eye droops, but then again people tell me that I look like Peter Falk. Unfortunately, my other eye is now experiencing PVD. Hoping to catch it before a detachment.

Comment from: K-pri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 28 years old. I found out I had retinal detachment when I was 6 years old. It wasn't operated on until I was 9. I had it in my left eye, but it affected my right eye. After operating on both eyes, I thought everything would be alright, but my doctor said he had to operate on my left eye again. This surgery changed my life because my left eye became smaller than my right eye, and that made my childhood life unbearable as I was often teased by my peers and even adults. When I was 15, I had to do another surgery because a part of the band that was placed inside was showing and it was visible to everyone. It was very embarrassing. Now I have tested glasses, but I hardly wear them because my right eye has 20/20 vision. My left eye has very little sight, but I am grateful that I'm not blind. I just have to live the rest of my life with my left eye smaller. I still give thanks; I could have been worse.

Comment from: Mish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 48-year-old female. I was involved in a car accident where I was stationery in my vehicle and hit behind by a car doing 60 kms and not even breaking. I was thrown forward and the seat belt pulled me back. After the accident, I was seeing black spots. Thinking this was to do with blood pressure, I was not concerned. Two weeks later, I noticed a shadow over my left eye. I went to the optometrist to have my eyes checked. After a thorough examination, I was told I had retinal detachment. I went straight to Sydney Eye Hospital and had surgery and a gas bubble inserted. I have had no pain before or after the surgery. It has now been 10 days since the surgery, and the retina at the moment is flat, but they cannot give me any guarantees, as it was a large tear. The hardest part was lying on my stomach with my head down to keep the gas bubble in position.

Comment from: bobby d , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

In dark conditions, I see flashes of light in the outer corner of my left eye. They don't occur in daylight conditions. They are momentary. I may experience them from zero to a dozen times an evening. I first noted them several weeks ago. The experience is random and I don't see a progression in number of times or severity or visibility of the flashes. The first few times they occurred while I was driving. I thought I was seeing a vehicles tail lights off to my left. However, they also appeared in my bedroom and where there was no light source available.

Comment from: Kenneth, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

After the first operation for detached retinas, I was informed it was not successful, so a second one was performed. I cannot read or see the figures on TV, but I can make out objects and identify most of them. I have difficulty reading with my "good eye" and have been told glasses will not improve the eye. The retina can be attached but be prepared to lose your sight in the eye. The eye is blurred and painful at times. I advise one to seek three opinions before an operation.

Published: July 15

I had retina detachment about 30 years back when I was a kid. It was a case of detachment by injury. (A cricket ball hit me straight in my eye!) I was operated on and had to stay in the hospital for two weeks. Although my vision is perfect now, I tend to see floaters in the eye.

Published: June 11

Just last week, I noticed a small bubble filled with water in my left eye. This is how I described it to my ophthalmologist who did cataract surgery just four months ago on the same eye. It was like looking thru a tear in your eye. The "bubble" would go away during the day to be replaced with a grey, brown, or black shadow later on during the day. It progressed very fast over four days and was three times the size. I was immediately referred to a retinal specialist and had surgery within eight hours.

Published: June 09

The first symptom was that I thought my glasses were dirty because I sensed a 'haze' in my vision. Then I noticed an increase in floaters and black specks in the peripheral area, especially on the right side. I noted whether the symptoms seemed to change over the following few days. I also saw flashes of light when in a dark room, especially when I blinked or turned my eyes. Once I realized it was my right eye only, I knew it was serious. The symptoms were entirely new to anything I had experienced before and developed in only a few days.

Comment from: coinlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had LASIK in October. One year later, I had a retinal detachment in the weaker eye. I had the scleral buckle and had to keep my head positioned for 10 days. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. In mid December I was not getting better, I could not even get up and go to the bathroom by myself. I finally did get better around mid January. My eye had some kind of reaction to the buckle and I have marks in my eye to this day. I firmly believe the LASIK had a lot to do with it.

Published: July 28

My retinal detachment occurred as a result of myopia and the tension that my elongated eye put on the retina. The detachment began with discrete flashes of light over several days followed by the apparent rupture of a blood vessel sending a "puff" of blood into the vitreous. The bleeding appeared as a veil floating in front of my eye. The subsequent dispersion of the blood cells in the vitreous looked like a window screen was placed in front of my eye. After several surgeries my retina is attached, though it is not in its original position, causing double vision and the vision field has been reduced. But, it is still vision and you realize how special even a little is.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter