Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Comment from: ChristyV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was having restless leg syndrome in my right leg, enough to keep me up most of the night. I spoke with my doctor. She knows medicines are always my last resort. I am awful about drinking water. She told me to drink lots and lots of water, especially Seltzer water. I did some research and decided to add magnesium with chelated zinc. I take three 400 mg tablets a day. I couldn't believe that my restless leg stopped. But I'm a lazy vitamin taker. I went two days not taking vitamins and my restless leg came back one night. I got up and took the magnesium tablets and within 1/2 an hour it quit.

Comment from: Elvis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

It's almost 5 am and I've been up since 3 am. I rarely sleep more than one or two hours a night and wake crying out with pain in my legs and hideous burning in my feet. My mother also had restless leg syndrome. I fall asleep with an icepack on my feet. Medical science may say this condition is not life-threatening but how long can a person go on with such poor sleep!

Comment from: brandygirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

This works for me every time. I keep a couple of bottles of water in the freezer. When I start to have symptoms of restless leg syndrome I take a bottle out and rub it up and down my calves on both sides, also the bottom of my feet, for about five minutes total. It may not feel like at that time that it has done any good, but it always has, and I can fall asleep then.

Comment from: loisjones44, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

What works for me for restless leg syndrome (RLS) is, I deliberately create an itch/tickly feeling somewhere nearby, e.g. further up the thigh, by brushing my fingers against it lightly. (I immediately scratch this itch, so you're not just moving the problem to a different part of the body). I find this immediately relieves the RLS feeling further down the leg. Sometimes the muscles of my thigh continue to feel a bit tight, but repeating the action above in a couple of different areas relieves that.

Comment from: K.P., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I find when I drink a lot of water my restless leg syndrome (RLS) wakes me up about 4 to 6 times a night. If my water intake is minimal I might wake up with RLS once or twice. Maybe it is just me, but it is worth paying attention to.

Comment from: lilakk23@aol.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have restless leg syndrome (RLS), diabetes and sleep apnea. For 30 years I have been on clonazepam 0.5 mg 2 tablets every night. My doctor wants me to stop. She had me take another medicine starting with a G, I don't remember the name. It did not work and I was up all night, I went back on clonazepam for a few months and now no more prescription drugs.

Comment from: JOHNC108, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I have restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, and dermatomyositis, all unknown cure and cause. It's hard to say which the worst is. The VA (Veterans Affairs) won't connect anything to Agent Orange. I'm on mycophenolate, folic acid, prednisone, methotrexate, metoprolol, Mirapex, magnesium, potassium, aspirin, fish oil, and multivitamin, all doctor prescribed. Rest is hard to get. If the VA would connect anything to Agent Orange it sure would cut my expenses.

Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments Question: What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments Question: Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.