Patient Comments: Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments

Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

The answer to restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a prescription dose of potassium citrate, specifically a 1080 mg dose with dinner. I suffered from RLS for over a decade, and then my symptoms became so severe that my sleep cycle was significantly disrupted. I tried many (if not most) of the home and medical remedies prescribed by doctors, but none seemed to work. Then I found one small research study. Now I take one prescribed pill at dinner in addition to eating potassium-rich foods like avocados and bananas. After a month and a half of this, my symptoms were completely gone. I hope that this remedy works for others as well as it did for me.

Comment from: Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I find that if my restless leg syndrome starts at bedtime, a cup of warm or hot milk allows me to get right to sleep. I hope this may help others.

Comment from: CrAzY LeGs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I've had it bad with restless leg syndrome as long as I can remember. It is a terrible experience, this I definitely know, as I suffer throughout the day as well as night. Potassium is one thing that really helps me. It promotes healthy nerve function, and it does help. I take 300 mg in the evening and 200 mg in the morning; might as well try it.

Comment from: Deborah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Hawthorn berry extract provide incredible relief for restless leg syndrome (RLS) and fast! Side effect is that it strengthens the heart! How good is that! I have suffered from RLS for over 40 years and have tried several prescriptions, supplements and suggestions. This works, no downside. It should be standardized to 1.8 percent hyperosides. It is available in health food stores or Swanson's vitamins. I use 4 capsules a night and there is relief. I promise.

Comment from: 23Selba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have suffered restless leg syndrome due to anemia. I found massaging my feet hard with cream before sleep helped.

Comment from: Desertr0se, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

For restless leg syndrome you need vitamin B 1, potassium citrate and vinegar before meals.

Comment from: SusieQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

If you are a woman and about menopause age, progesterone cream rubbed into your shins may help. It works for me every time. I'm better within 10 minutes. You can buy it over the counter or ask your doctor for a prescription. I started having restless legs at about 46 (peri-menopause age) and still occasionally have it at 51. I tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements and I walk 3 miles nearly every day, but it did not matter. It was a hormone thing for me.

Comment from: Mjtba, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My mother was suffering from restless leg syndrome (RLS), one day I experienced something. Today I want to share my experience. I am a user of miswak instead of toothpaste. One day, I don't know why, I started using toothpaste. I used it for 2 or 3 days. I found restlessness in my legs at evening time when I went to bed. I stopped using toothpaste and started using miswak again. After only a few days I found that I am a normal man again. I prescribed the same to my mother and although she took a longer time to recover, she too is feeling well nowadays.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been suffering with restless leg syndrome for about 6 months to the point where I have had to change career for something more active. Whilst sitting down the 'ants crawling up my legs and arms' are constant. Where before the sensations would wake me up at night I find that taking a magnesium supplement helps me sleep the night through. I stopped drinking alcohol a few months ago and the symptoms improved. Over Christmas and New Year I have had a few celebratory drinks and the symptoms have worsened again so I am back on the wagon, hoping they will ease off again.

Comment from: chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I've had restless leg syndrome (RLS) since my 20s, it's only the last 6 months I've got treatment. After trying a tablet for 2 weeks my legs started to irritate after my dinner so I went back and the doctor gave me ropinirole. That was ok for a fortnight, now I have it slightly milder at times but at least I sleep all night and not awake for hours tossing with the aches. Maybe I will have to go back to the doctor sometime but I'll try and persevere with it in the evenings. I have also blamed it onto my gut as a buildup of wind; usually the symptoms disappear when I can pass it.

Comment from: 21916, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 7 years and it started in my 60s. I constantly have to stretch my legs or arms. I take over the counter vitamins, like C, B12, calcium, etc. Also, glucosamine. I have noticed that it seems to get worse when taking all (about 7) my vitamins for several days. Symptoms are not so bad when I don"t take them. I am going to try taking one at a time for a while and see if I react to any particular one.

Comment from: Oldironside, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome since I was a child. I would always shake my legs while sitting down and I was always told I was hyper when actually I was suffering with RSL. I am now 42 and it"s really unbearable pain. I was given a prescription of Ultram and putting something cold on my knees seems to help. This is a hateful disease.

Comment from: Mimidi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I've had restless leg syndrome on occasion for decades and only found out tonight that there's a name for it! With me, it's usually triggered by drugs: Benadryl, Reglan, and tonight the culprit was Zantac. My research confirmed the classes of these drugs as culprits (antihistamines and anti-nausea.) Incidentally, eating starches before bedtime helps you sleep. I use rice or oatmeal. I cured lifetime insomnia this way.

Comment from: bobm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I experience symptoms at bedtime and feel that some medications trigger the onset, i.e., aspirin, statin drugs and other pain medications. I use a professional style massager and work the entire leg, ankle and feet. After approximately 10 minutes I can get to sleep, it's a lifesaver for me.

Comment from: cant sleep, 45-54 Female Published: September 09

I have found a little trick. Whenever I wake up miserable with leg pains. I put Bengay cream around my knees and on the back of my calves. I think the skin tingling confuses the muscles and actually lets me get rest. I have used this many times, even when the pain is making me want to cry, and it has always worked.

Comment from: fredpb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had RLS for many many years. I also have problems with potassium depletion. I did my own research on the potassium problem and learned you need magnesium to help potassium absorbtion. Take a lot of magnesium supplements now, and for some reason, my RLS has all but disappeared! I think the magnesium supplements have really helped my RLS. Just my personal observation.

Comment from: Dave.D, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I was diagnosed with RLS years ago. my legs jump and kick at night so bad that it just drives me crazy. some times I will go a week without a good nights sleep. about 10 years ago my DR. prescribed Klonopin and Ambien and they worked very well. for years I did well. then I dont know what happened the drugs caused me to have some sort of a break down, now I cant take anything without having depression.

Comment from: Maudie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had to go in the hospital a few years back for an operation. I was more afraid of the fact that I'd be there over night with no way to take my Requip because of the side affect of if I don't take it with enough food I'll be throwing up. Well that would not be ok after my operation! So I'm all but in a panic over this. When I asked them about it they told me that I'd be on some kind of machine to keep clots from forming in my legs over night, that's a big thing after operations now I guess. Well let me tell you! I love that machine! And if I could have slipped it in my bag, cause I ask about buying one, WOW! But if you can afford one...get it they work wonderfully !

Comment from: EJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had RLS for about 15 years. It starts later in the evening when I've been sitting for a couple of hours. It can develop into charley horse-like cramps in my calf muscles if I don't move around. I used to be able to eat a banana and the potassium seemed to alleviate it in about an hour, but now I just take a potassium supplement and it will ease off much faster. I usually go to bed when it is quite bad, but it drives my husband crazy when my legs are thrashing about. But hey – he snores!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter