Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more noticeable at rest. This characteristic nighttime worsening can frequently lead to insomnia. Treatment of the symptoms of restless leg syndrome is generally with medication as well as treating any underlying condition causing restless leg syndrome. Read more: Restless Leg Syndrome Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Restless leg syndrome (RLS), an annoying, sometimes painful disorder that keeps millions of people awake at night. What are the...
Restless Legs Syndrome: 16 Natural Remedies and Treatment for RLS
Restless legs syndrome treatment includes natural remedies that you can implement at home. Use exercise, sleep hygiene, and...
Sleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Learn about the different types of sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea. Explore the symptoms, causes, tests and...
Weird Body Quirks in Pictures: Brain Freezes, Hiccupping, & More
Ice cream brain freeze, hiccups, charley horses, vertigo--what's behind these weird body quirks anyway? Our experts explain...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, and Treatment)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Muscle cramps are involuntarily and forcibly contracted muscles that do not relax. Extremely common, any muscles that have...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Varicose vein: A dilated (widened) tortuous (twisting) vein, usually involving a superficial vein in the leg, often associated...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
POTS (POT Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
POT syndrome (POTS, postrual orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is a nervous system disorder that causes lightheadedness and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Lewy Body Dementia (Dementia with Lewy Bodies)
Lewy body dementia (LBD or dementia with Lewy bodies) is one the most common causes of dementia. There are two types of LBD: 1)...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a sleep disorder characterized by rhythmic movements of the limbs during sleep. The...
Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience
Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.Post View 144 Comments
Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments
What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?Post View 138 Comments
Restless Leg Syndrome - Symptoms
What symptoms did you experience with your restless leg syndrome (RLS)?Post View 124 Comments
Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments
Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.Post View 38 Comments
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- temazepam, Restoril
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- baclofen, Gablofen, Lioresal
- pramipexole (Mirapex, Mirapex ER)
- ropinirole (Requip, Requip XL)
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
- Klonopin (clonazepam) vs. Xanax (alprazolam)
- triazolam, Halcion
- propoxyphene, Darvon, Darvon-N, Dolene
- gabapentin enacarbil, Horizant, Gralise, Neurontin
- quinine sulfate (antimalarial) - oral, Qualaquin
Prevention & Wellness
- New Genes Linked to Restless Legs Syndrome
- Living With Purpose May Help Seniors Sleep Soundly
- Can Certain Allergy Meds Worsen Restless Legs Syndrome?
- Health Tip: Do You Have Restless Legs Syndrome?
- Undiagnosed Sleep Problems May Be Common Among Firefighters
- Parkinson's Drugs May Spur Compulsive Behaviors
- FDA OKs First Device for Restless Legs Syndrome
- New Drug Shows Promise for Restless Legs Syndrome: Study
- Health Tip: Easing Restless Legs Syndrome
- Health Tip: Understanding Excessive Sleepiness
- Restless Legs Syndrome Tied to Earlier Death Risk
- Drugs May Help Relieve Restless Legs Syndrome
- Meds May Spur Compulsive Behaviors in Some Parkinson's Patients: Study
- Insomnia May Raise Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Parkinson's Drug Mirapex Under Safety Review
- FDA Approves Horizant for Post-Shingles Pain
- Drug Patch Approved for Advanced Parkinson's and Restless Leg Syndrome
- Health Tip: Living With Restless Legs Syndrome
- Health Tip: Physical Problems May Cause Insomnia
- Restless Legs Syndrome May Raise BP
- Genes Linked to Restless Legs Syndrome Identified
- Lists of Prescription Meds' Side Effects Keep Growing: Study
- FDA Approves New Restless Legs Syndrome Drug Horizant
- Study: Alcohol Does Not Cause Sleep Problems
- Fibromyalgia, Restless Legs Syndrome Overlap
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter