Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and discharge. Treatment focuses on supportive care. This disease has a good prognosis in babies and infants.Read more: Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
IMAGESSee pictures of Bacterial Skin Conditions See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) Symptoms, Signs Treatment Remedies, Diet
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...
Is Croup Contagious?
Croup is a viral infection that typically affects children and causes inflammation of the larynx and trachea. The cough...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Adenovirus 14 (Killer Cold Virus)
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
The cause of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is unknown. The risk of SIDS peaks in infants 2-4 months of age. SIDS is more...
Is Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Contagious?
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a contagious viral infection that causes symptoms such as decreased appetite, runny nose,...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pediatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- ribavirin - inhalation, Virazole
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- ribavirin, Rebetol, Copegus, Ribasphere, RibaPak, Moderiba
- palivizumab - injection, Synagis
- respiratory syncytial virus immune globulin,human (rsv-igiv)-inj, Respigam
Prevention & Wellness
- Respiratory Virus Lurks as Wintertime Worry
- How to Spot the Virus That Puts Some Babies in the Hospital
- Common Viruses a Deadly Threat at Nursing Homes
- How to Spot a Common, Potentially Dangerous, Childhood Illness
- Health Tip: Help Prevent RSV
- Vaccine for Deadly Respiratory Virus Shows Promise in Early Trial
- Parents' Clothing Can Infect Newborns in Intensive Care
- Vaccine Combo Shows Promise Against Common, Dangerous Infection
- Viruses Increasingly Behind Child Pneumonia Cases
- New Drug May Fight Serious Respiratory Virus in Infants
- When a Common Cold Becomes More Dangerous for Kids
- Little-Known Respiratory Infection Sends Many Kids to Hospital
- Virus Patterns Where Kids Live May Affect Asthma Risk
- Common Respiratory Virus Affecting Many Young Children
- Health Highlights: Sept. 8, 2011
- Low Vitamin D at Birth Linked to Lung Infections
- RSV: Winter Virus Common Cause of Illness
Infectious Disease Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter