Patient Comments: Recreational Water Illnesses - Sources


If known, where did you contract your recreational water illness (RWI)? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It doesn"t matter what type of public pool it is, chlorinated or not, I always get recreational water illness. I"m also unable to drink water from a tap; I have to boil all my water. I always end up with some type of stomach type virus. It starts out just not generally feeling well; then I feel sluggish with an upset stomach and end in diarrhea. Usually it lasts a few days but can last up to a couple of weeks. I have to avoid all public water places. Unfortunately I have just purchased a spa pool, and even with the correct chemicals I"m experiencing the same thing and it"s just me and my partner. Would love a pill to take prior to getting in the pools; that would be nice.

Comment from: Miss b, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I developed a rash (recreational water illness) all over my body after going to Sesame Place.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.