Patient Comments: Recreational Water Illnesses - Sources

If known, where did you contract your recreational water illness (RWI)? Please share your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It doesn"t matter what type of public pool it is, chlorinated or not, I always get recreational water illness. I"m also unable to drink water from a tap; I have to boil all my water. I always end up with some type of stomach type virus. It starts out just not generally feeling well; then I feel sluggish with an upset stomach and end in diarrhea. Usually it lasts a few days but can last up to a couple of weeks. I have to avoid all public water places. Unfortunately I have just purchased a spa pool, and even with the correct chemicals I"m experiencing the same thing and it"s just me and my partner. Would love a pill to take prior to getting in the pools; that would be nice.

Comment from: Miss b, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I developed a rash (recreational water illness) all over my body after going to Sesame Place.

Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow