Signs and symptoms of reactive arthritis include
The immune reaction that causes reactive arthritis can also affect other organs, notably the eyes. Eye inflammation is an associated symptom along with inflammation of the skin, mouth, and other organs. Reactive arthritis is more frequent in men and in people 20-40 years of age.
Causes of reactive arthritis
An infection on the genital, urinary, or gastrointestinal systems by bacteria such as Chlamydia trachomatis, Shigella, Salmonella, or Campylobacter is most often the cause of reactive arthritis. Medical researchers believe the arthritis arises due to an activation of the immune system to the infection.
Other reactive arthritis symptoms and signs
Main Article on Reactive Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Arthritis: 16 Bad Habits That Cause Joint Pain
Being overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or carrying a heavy purse can make joint pain and arthritis symptoms worse. Some...
Arthritis: Causes and Treatment for Joint Stiffness and Pain
Arthritis and injuries can leave your joints swollen, tender, and damaged. Discover treatments for morning stiffness, sore...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Examples of Medications for Reactive Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- ColciGel (colchicinum 4X)
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral, Injections, Types)
- indomethacin, Indocin, Indocin-SR (Discontinued Brand in U.S.)
- methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- piroxicam, Feldene
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Side Effects of Feldene (piroxicam)
- sulfasalazine (Azulfidine)
- sulindac (Clinoril)
- tolmetin (Tolectin [Discontinued Brand])
- Types of Arthritis Medications