Patient Comments: Rash - Symptoms

What other symptoms did you experience with your rash? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mcauley, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I had umbilical hernia repair 3 weeks ago. It went well. I had bearable pain for the first 5 days and after that was almost pain free. I took it easy for the first week and then gradually got back to normal. I walked every day and took painkillers for the first few days. I feel so much better now that the hernia has been repaired and would advise anyone with a hernia to have this operation.

Comment from: Tanya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Both my children have had this gastrointestinal virus, it's horrible, and it lasts almost 7 days with both. It started with diarrhea, then moved to vomiting and diarrhea both. Both kids had to go to emergency and have Zofran to help with the vomiting and get them to keep something down. I am on day 9 with gastroenteritis in my house, I have been puked on 4 times, I am just hoping I do not get this as I've seen what my kids have gone through. It is the worst virus I have seen in a long time. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The worst part was day 5, they both puked 2 more times. I am hoping they will be on the mend soon! Good luck!

Comment from: karma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have an itchy rash, small blister like bubbles. They burst, itch, and cause more. They turn harder, I scratch off scab and it leaves a pit in the skin, on hands, legs, forearms, and feet.

Comment from: Laura, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I woke up with a rash 9 days ago all over my stomach, sides, back, chest, arms and thighs. It is really itchy, it burns and gives me a horrible quick prickling sensation. It is pimply and looks red with blemishes. I have been to the doctors twice and applied lotion that they prescribed me for eczema (I know it is not eczema), calamine lotion, and I have tried antihistamines, none of which have worked and the rash is exactly the same if not worse. I would love to know what it is or how to get rid of it.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I broke my jaw in two places because of a motorcycle accident. Emergency doctor did his best. I ended up wired shut for 7 weeks. I was then referred to a dental surgeon because it was not healing well and I had infection. I had a second surgery (bone graft) and was wired shut for another 4 weeks. I am still waiting to see if it will now heal properly. I still can't feel the bottom of my face because of nerve damage during first surgery. Bonus is best diet ever, I stopped chewing my nails, and am still alive!

Comment from: ray, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I am a 35 year old male. From the hematocrit test I have been told that my liver is at 34 percent and should be higher for my age. The doctor says when I am 60 I might need dialysis.

Comment from: gumbo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I thought I was catching a cold about five weeks ago, but it turned into a very bad cough that got worse and worse, until I was coughing so much I knew it was not just a cold. I was diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis and put on a steroid treatment along with breathing treatments. When steroids were finished, I got worse, coughing until I was vomiting. The emergency room gave me more breathing treatments and another (different) steroid treatment and inhaler plan. I am slightly better as far as coughing goes, but my chest still sputters and crackles when I breath and I cannot lie down to sleep. I am weaning off the steroid treatment again and still using inhalers.

Comment from: Henry 4545, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I've got a cellulitis on my upper leg right on my butt line. It started out a bump and it got red, swollen and hard. It had a red line in it but now it's getting better. But now I've got a rash around the staph infection and today makes it a week. I need help and I don't know what I should do.

Comment from: C Wills, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

It drove me nuts to be up most of the night with this uncontrollable itching with the rash at the top of my arm. I had the same back in the year on my lower arm and no one knew what it was. No creams were any good. Now I know the cause is fungus in the gut caused by antibiotics and yeast in food. It can cause this rash, also stomach acid burning, joints hurting, depression, and lots more. I knew I had this by having the camera put down my throat. They found from the back of my throat through to my gut and stomach I had fungus. My breathing was very bad and the coughing was out of control. The fungus gave me a form of TB. I was in a right state. But going back to the rash, it has started again. No creams will treat it except, Muscle Rub'. It burns when you first put it on, once it settles you can sleep all night. It is brilliant, the only thing that works. The rash is because of fungus, part of the symptoms of fungus in the gut.

Comment from: sssscc, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

My EEG results revealed diffuse slowing of the background electrical activity of my brain. I am worried.

Comment from: crazymeac5150, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had this rash that started on my arms about one month ago and it has spread to my chest and lower abdomen and parts of my legs from my hips to ankles. I also have a red patch rash on each cheek bone, quarter size each side and have swelling on my eyes, arms, and legs. I am very sore and in pain constantly. I itch and tingle on the rash spots and I've tried every over the counter medication possible and seen doctor and dermatologist. I am miserable.

Comment from: b mcgovern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have a rash on my stomach and I itch all over.

Comment from: Cdn Ontario senior, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I was prescribed the drug Mavik, which contains ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) as a key ingredient, and took it for almost five months. During that time frame I experienced severe cases of hives for three months that would appear randomly all over my body and last for hours. I also experienced many episodes of severe nose bleeds over six months. All this my hematologist associated with taking Mavik which contains an ACE inhibitor. After stopping Mavik the episodes of hives gradually ended and the nose bleeds ceased within weeks. Strangely, I also lost all the hair on my right arm between the wrist and elbow during the period I was taking Mavik. The hair grew back over the months after stopping this drug.

Comment from: Lizabit, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My 90 year old dad has been suffering from a bad rash and itchy skin for over a year now. He has been to allergists and dermatologists over and over again. No one can determine what the cause is. We just had the house tested for mold and found that the house has several areas affected. I wonder if this can be what has been causing his rash and itch.

Comment from: QUADMALE43, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I suddenly got this rash about 3 years ago and have yet to have it identified. There is no pattern to why it isn't too bad at times, to severely red raw and cracking at other times.

Comment from: Needtoknow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I am male, aged 39. I just developed a few tiny rashes that have white heads,(like very tiny pimples) the rashes are scattered and sparse(mostly like 15-20 at any given time), on my upper chest area and a few on my face, they don't itch and go away after a few days and another one shows up. One or two have been big and mildly painful on the tip of my nose, near my right elbow and one on my back and all goes without any medication.

Comment from: MissHeather, 19-24 Female Published: December 27

Within the past 4 or 5 months I have started noticing more and more an annoying itchiness over a lot of my body. I don't remember ever having this problem before. I'm not for sure if I have developed a food "allergy" or if there is another cause. It seems to be worse when I eat, I'm guessing, tomatoes. It could possibly be onion or garlic too. I eat a lot of Italian and Mexican foods and cook a lot with tomatoes, onions, and especially garlic. I can't stand to eat raw tomatoes or onions, but am fine with cooked. I have noticed the problem after eating foods with red pasta sauces or salsas. Usually the itching starts a couple hours (give or take) after eating or when I start relaxing. Little itchy bumps start showing up on the inside of my forearms and the itching quickly spreads. It's usually from the wrists up to my elbows on both sides, jaw/chin, chest, and sometimes neck, upper arms, back, hands, and legs. Also I'm not sure if it is my deodorant or related to the same problem, but every once in a while I'll develop itching and redness on my underarms. This tends to last longer than the other stuff though.

Comment from: lacticrat, 65-74 (Caregiver) Published: October 19

The best idea I ever had for dealing with my son's nosebleeds was to invest in a bunch of bright red washcloths. I also found red toilet paper at Wal-Mart! This way, he can't see all the blood on the tissues, and is not nearly as alarmed. He gets nosebleeds often, we live at a high altitude, in a dry climate, but he's old enough now that he just goes and grabs a 'red rag' on his own.

Comment from: donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I would like to get help for my rash; I have had skin problems for years. I have not found the medications to help me.

Comment from: darren1, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a red itchy rash that's just developed like a scab over it and right beside that scab there is another clear bubble like a blister on top of the rash.

Comment from: Arthur, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have very itchy red rash on my back and front arms, and upper legs.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am female, 53 years old. I have a deep dark rash on each inner thigh - where they don't touch. It seems to get worse as the day goes on, and as I increase exercise. It has been here for a month and does not change. It does not itch or hurt.

Comment from: gerry d, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am a male, 42 years old, I have recently (over the last two months) developed rashes on my shoulders, upper and lower back and most recently my legs. It started on my shoulders but has quickly spread. Generally it started like a spot or bite and once scratched developed into a rash. There does not seem to be any order to how and when the rashes appear. When I shower (especially in very hot water) the affected areas seem to react in a hair raising manner. Cooling of the affected area gives a lot of relief. These rashes have occurred without any changes in diet, environment or sexual partner. I have not yet had a chance to visit a general physician as I am working abroad but will do very soon.

Comment from: bhagya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have a skin rash. I showed the doctor and he gave me Alerid and Terbiforce Plus for five days. The rash went but I then had it in a different place. The doctor prescribed the same medicines for 5 more days. Again the old rash was clear but new ones came. I took a blood test and sedimentation rate (ESR) was 48, which was high. Now doctor has prescribed Raricap and Folvite Tablets. I still get rash but it itches this time and is red in color.

Comment from: TNLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I took clindamycin 300mg for an infection from a dog bite. On the seventh day a red raised rash appeared on my wrist and by the end of the day it had spread over both the arms, legs and lower back. Sometimes it seems the rash is leaving but then it flares up and an uncontrollable clawing gives in to the itching.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I developed a rash about two months ago I have chills and they move over my body. I cannot sleep at night because of the pain from the nerve endings. It started at my right lower shoulder and have spread all over. It moves around at the painful areas and always itches.

Comment from: GoodIntentions, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

Hello, I am 23 and have had lupus since I was 11 years old, but recently I've been getting a rough scaly textured skin around my chin, jaw bone and around my neck to my right side. No discoloration, just a strange 'reptile' like texture which won't go away. Could this be related to lupus or is there a possibility it could be something else? My next doctor appointment isn't for the next month and I'm not certain if I could be more concerned or not about this new rash.

Comment from: TG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I get a rash on the trunk of my body every time I am recovering from a sickness like the flu. The worse I feet with the flu or fever the redder and more widespread the rash is. It usually goes away in a day or two. This last time my illness only lasted 24 hrs but was the worst ever. Now this rash is really itchy and redder and has spread to my neck, upper arms, elbows, thighs and from my entire backside to my tailbone and all down my chest and abdomen. Otherwise I am feeling fine.

Comment from: Danny, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have a rash that I have been suffering from for several years. I'm 24 years old and it looks like I have diaper rash all over my face. I also have spot all over my legs and part of my arm. It is dry and itchy. I use special soap just in case that is the problem. I moisturize my face daily but it is not getting any better. I have gone to the doctor and they keep subscribing medications that are just not working.

Comment from: quickkick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

After several days of fighting a rash with Benadryl and calamine lotion, I went to see my doctor. He prescribed Prednisone, a steroid that makes me feel really strange, but is effective in getting rid of the rash. Also, scrub the area with Selsun Blue while showering.

Comment from: Netty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have a rash that starts on one side of my nose and travels down the side of my mouth and worsens on my chin. At first it appeared as if I might be getting acne however they never develop into pimples. They do ooze and get scabs on the top of them especially after oozing. If one gets bumped or barley nicked, they bleed very easily.

Comment from: AMC, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I had no other symptoms in addition to my rash besides patches of slightly raised, lighter-colored skin mostly on the neck.

Comment from: aneed2kno, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

This rash has been with me for about seven weeks, and it is across my forehead, down the bridge of my nose, on the high area of my check bone, and just below my eyes. At times, it itches, seeps, and forms crusty build-up. I have been to the doctor who prescribed over-the-counter lotions and ointments. I have had the seven-day steroid treatment and topical cream for the last three weeks, and it is not working.

Comment from: Lizzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have a rash on my hands and feet and my joints hurt and this rash is very itchy.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

With my rashes I experience redness, swelling, pain and itching. Seems to occur from stress on different parts of the body. Will usually disappear within 24 hrs.

Comment from: tgray1grandma, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

My husband was treated for pityriasis rosea three years ago. Since that time, he has never been totally free of the rash. He has had some periods of clearing, but it always returns. Now he is experiencing a major outbreak of rash -- some of it typical of the rosea but with extensive involvement of extremities, which he has never had before.

Comment from: somar1120, 45-54 Female Published: April 23

Every summer (since the age 12 or 13) I get these tiny itchy water blisters on my hands and feet. After they dry up they start pealing and the pealing skin is very dry and rough and that of course itches too. If I put too much lotion on my hands and feet perspire and I get more of the itchy water blisters. In the winter months my hands clear up but if I wear too much close shoes and socks (worse with nylons) my feet will still get them but not as much as the summer months.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 Female Published: November 01

Every time I shave under my arms I break out in a horrible Itchy rash. I have tried using shaving cream for sensitive skin and I use only fragrance free deodorant. Please help me. Cortisone cream and no shaving is the only thing that calms it down.

Comment from: Iblindalu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Each year over the past 4 years, at the beginning of summer, I get a rash on the shin of both legs. It itches like crazy and last through the summer. The rashes go away right around October and I don't see them again until right around the end of May. My doctor keeps giving me cream to try and stop the itch but the cream isn't working.

Comment from: sushi53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have always had a large stomach that hangs...however I have had bariatric surgery and the stomach hangs even more. I have noticed for the 1st time ever to have this persistant "heat" rash I think all under the edge of my stomach and at the fold of skin under my arms extending from my breast. I went to my dermatologist and she said yeast infection and gave me cream. This only helped for a while. She then called in the 2 pills of difulcan. I took those and it seemed to help but as we speak I have been itching all day. There is not a day that I do not get out of the shower and put on Gold Bond Medicated powder.

Comment from: mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had swollen feet and ankles for a while now and put it down to my blood pressure medication, recently they had gotten really swollen to the point that I could hardly walk, my doctor gave me some water tablets to take then I developed a bad red rash on my right foot which itched really bad, my doctor gave me some antibiotics, he said it may be an infection, the antibiotics didn't work so he gave me some steroid cream which made the problem worse so I stopped using it, at the moment I still don't know what is causing this and I'm literally climbing the walls due to the itching.

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Every summer my skin begins itching my especially in my chest area, it usually swells and I develop raised redden circular shape lesion that itch severely, my doctor prescribed hydrocortisone cream which is not effective is there a name for this and if so is there treatment.

Comment from: jugg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

Around my mouth and on my neck I get these rashy patches that have sticky fluid. They itch and burn.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have itchy rash patches on my chest, hips, and thighs.

Comment from: Bonbon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Severe itching around the top of my legs, elbows, inner chest---my rash is close to my underarms.

Comment from: itchgirl, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

I have a rash that is more just below the surface of the shin on my arms only from the shoulders to my hands. The itch is unbearable hydrocortisone only gives temporary relief. No other part of my body does this exist help!

Comment from: Elaine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Woke up this morning with a rash head to toe, a little blotchy in areas and slightly tingling feeling on right side of face. I feel as though I need to use the bathroom every 1/2 hour.

Comment from: mahlaste, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I started having a rash in December 2008 after my car accident, then little allergy developed on my back, it was itchy. I took it for granted, then when it is worse I went to see a doctor. Travocort cream to apply on stomach and chest, and Elcon Ointment 0.1 to apply at my back, but it didn't work, instead the allergy got worse, now is even spreading to my hands. I don't know what to use, I am even thinking of going to see a dermatologist.

Comment from: Stardust, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Last Friday, I came down with a rash on my right shoulder and it spread down my back. The Doctor put me on prednisone, it helped a little but a week later my lower stomach and groin flared up and the only relief is an ice pack or running water over it. I don't sleep because of the itching. Caladryl didn't help all the prednisone did was make me dizzy, flushed face and really tired.

Comment from: Claudy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My rash appears every day by scratching my skin. I always have to scratch, and when I do, I see red lines. It started last spring when I was working in my garden. I touched a plant with needles, and since then I have that rash.

Comment from: dewgoddess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 21 years old. Almost three months ago I found this small dry patch on the inside of my right pinky finger. It was a bit itchy sometimes and flaky. About the size of a dime maybe, perhaps a little smaller. I figured it would go away eventually. A week, two weeks later, it was still there. Itchy and annoying. It stopped bothering me for a little while. A week or so later, I noticed it was a bit bigger and was itchy. A few small red bumps around it, spread out. Day after day it seemed to very slowly get bigger. It got more red bumps and was very itchy. Crazy itchy. For a short period of time I made the unthinking mistake of scratching it a lot. But I stopped. My mother had this red fungicidal liquid (actually meant for animals) and it is used on ringworm and such. You put it on often throughout the day. I thought it might've been ringworm since it was in a sort of round shape. I used the liquid for almost two weeks and nothing happened. The rash would suck up all of the liquid and would appear dry. It would feel better afterward. When I would bend my finger it wouldn't stiffen or crack or hurt (like it did for a while) after the liquid had been put on. But it never made a difference or helped to rid me of the rash. So, I decided to try my dad's prescribed fungicidal cream he gets for athlete's foot. For about almost two weeks it would be put on often and I noticed it seemed to be slowly getting better. I was running out of cream and the rash was doing better, so I started only putting it on once a day most days. That was a few days to a week ago, somewhere around there. Now, since yesterday, it started up itching again. The red bumps are back and it seems almost back to the way it was. Instead of a small little area like before, now it is much bigger. It goes from almost the middle of the top of my pinky to the middle of the bottom of my pinky. And it is as long as a bit past the knuckle.

Comment from: TXSandie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I occasionally develop what appears to be a rash that spreads from the back of my neck to down my arms and sometimes my whole body. It starts out with a burning sensation and I begin to feel as though I am on fire. I cannot tolerate anything touching my skin until it subsides, usually in about 12 to 14 hours. No one can tell me what causes it because by the time I can get to a physician it is gone.

Comment from: Abiodun, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have rashes all over my body since I was a child till I am a grown up. I have all kinds of medication but they are not effective as the rashes disappear and appear after sometime again. I am fed up; I don't know what to do. The rashes form ring shape.

Comment from: cruizer 58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I get 5 to 6 bumps with a red rash that itches for about 15 minutes once or twice a week then goes away.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have a red rash that started on the bottom of my leg and now is behind my knee and is all bright red and it all feels like leather skin. Looks swollen and it hurts after lotion is put on it. It just seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: andy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

My rash symptoms include red, dry skin and swollen eyes. I also have bumps on my forehead, arms, and butt.

Comment from: Tired, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have developed a rash--just on my forearms and elbows. They have raised bumps that flare up at night.

Comment from: Mondaythrufriday, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Small itchy bumps have been breaking out all over my neck and back and now spreading to my abdomen. I have had these symptoms for the last 3 days and each day more and more appear.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter