Patient Comments: Rash - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rash? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 06

Be careful about putting hydrocortisone cream on rashes until you are sure you know what it is. I put hydrocortisone on my eczema all the time and it works great but then I got a scalp fungus rash that also got on my ear and hydrocortisone made inflammation worse, so I had to get other fungal related treatments instead. If you get hydrocortisone though, go with the cream not the ointment.

Comment from: wendy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I periodically get these itchy areas that start out as one red bump that resembles a bug bite. I unconsciously scratch it and then it will spread, currently it covers an area behind my ear and runs down the hairline onto the neck and another area covering most of my back. If I scratch one area it feels as if the itchy sensation is all connected under the skin like tentacles. I found if I rub down the itchy areas with a baby wipe about every hour it cools the area and it feels so much better. Once the area is dry I apply a hydrocortisone cream like Cortizone with moisturizer. After a day or so of doing this and refraining from scratching the inflammation goes down and the rash dries up. Then I continue the hydrocortisone cream with moisturizer until the skin peels and heals.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I woke up with an itchy rash that came and went throughout the day and moved to different areas of my body. I found relief from the itching by rubbing tea tree soothing gel on the effected areas. It contains tea tree oil, aloe vera, witch hazel and other herbal extracts. It reduced the redness of the rash as well. It may not be a cure, but it did reduce the symptoms about 10 minutes later.

Comment from: marvilj, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I have had red burning rash since 1991. I discovered it was from sweets, and the liver dumping toxins into my system. If I stay away from all products using sugar, including artificial, the rash goes away. Foods that tax the liver will also produce the rash. Candida yeast infections will cause itchy, burning skin rash also. Everyone needs to watch carefully what they put in their body.

Comment from: sunny, 35-44 Female Published: April 23

In my early 30s I started to experience intense itch on my scalp especially when stressed. In my late 30s I started getting these itchy bumps and dry patches on my scalp. The bumps hurt when scratched. I also noticed thick dry skin on my elbows and a reddish bumpy rash on my upper arms. Using Cortizone 10 has relieved the dry skin. I have also started using head and shoulders and have been taking Omega 3, 6, and 9. My scalp itches way less after 2 or 3 times of using this shampoo and a week of Omega.

Comment from: sopon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had skin rash problem since 2013. First time I got it after using shoes. After that it won't leave me. I am greatly frustrated by the itching. I have seen many doctors and take many medicines, but it doesn't get better."

Comment from: habibshah, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Five months ago my left thumb sustained injury due to unseen rusty iron/sand in my home when I was doing cleaning type of work. From that time my thumb has developed rash/scaliness/swelling and bumps, and the rash is increasing down to my palm. Now I am using different type of medicines as advised by my doctor, but so far no improvement.

Comment from: claricejg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have suffered with various types of rashes for as long as I can remember. Over time, I've come to realize that not all rashes are purely outward and just on the skin. If nothing else works try a body cleanse. This has worked for me.

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I hope this helps someone: Every winter I get a rash. This year, I have it on the tops of my hands. What helps me sleep is to clean the area, wipe it down with hydrogen peroxide, cover it with Benadryl liquid, let it dry, and sprinkle it with Gold Bond powder. The area gets cool and tingly, and then it settles down and stops itching.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I suddenly broke out in a terribly itchy rash that was diagnosed as an allergic reaction. My doctor gave me a strong antihistamine with little results. The rash would calm down and then start up again. It appeared as small red spots on my abdomen and chest, and then it spread to my arms. I got relief from bathing with Selsun Blue, but it didn't stop. I found the cause when my 17-year-old cat had to be put to sleep. The vet found he had feline scabies. They will get on humans but do not survive long off the cat, thus the cycles of itching. Be careful in talking to your doctor about this as they confuse the treatment for feline or canine scabies with the treatment for human scabies, which is a heavy duty poisonous cream. If your pet itches and you do too, it could be related.

Comment from: Mack, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have a very itchy rash just on my arm. It gets hot; sometimes it feels as if I have been stung and is generally uncomfortable. It is so hard to sleep when it flares up, which it does every night. I have tried, with some success, aloe vera, Caladryl, and other ointments. What I have found to be most soothing though, is an ice pack or running water on it.

Comment from: peg727, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have developed pimple-like itchy bumps. I read an article on tea tree oil for itchy skin conditions and started using approximately 10 drops in bath water and applying the oil by Q-Tip directly to each sore daily. I found that within two to three days, the sore dries up and starts to heal. The itching stops upon contact with the tea tree oil. Carefully read the instructions before using for skin sensitivity to the oil. I am a breast cancer survivor, and I really don't know if this rash is a delayed reaction to treatments.

Comment from: David , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

It started as red, itchy bumps on my underarm and later spread all over my chest, other arm, stomach, and groin areas. I have seen 5 doctors and none of them have to give me the right medication for this problem. The first Doctor told me it was a fungal infection and gave me Miconazole 2% which didn't work. The second Doctor told me it was Scabies and gave me Permethrin 5% and it didn't work either, it just made it worse and spread to other areas of my body. I went back to the same Doctor and told me to use it again, which only aggravated the situation. The Third Doctor told me it was a fungal infection as well and prescribed Ketoconazole 2% and it didn't work either. The forth Doctor didn't know what it was, but gave me Triamcinolone 1% and of course, didn't work. I am now on my fifth week of this ordeal and I don't know what to do. Blood tests were taken the last time I went to the Doctor and am awaiting the results. I am so frustrated, because this thing is not getting any better, just spreading more over my body.

Comment from: Skye, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I've had a rash all over my arms and legs for almost 3 years and NOTHING will help at all. At first my doctor thought it was a nickel allergy but after not going near nickel for a good month and a half the rash would still not go away. I got strong creams and other types of medications but nothing worked. When I was younger I was told by my doctor that I had MRSA, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the rash. It recently spread to my right breast. Also, I had gotten into a pool the other day for a good 4-5 hours and when I got out the rash looked almost gone. I don't know if it was the chlorine or what, but it didn't help for long and I STILL dont know what it is.

Comment from: Redhead, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I've developed a very itchy rash on my head and torso. The more I scratch, the redder it gets and seems to be spreading. Prednisone took the rash away, but now I'm out of meds, and the rash is worse. Cortisone cream does seem to help a little. I wish I could get a true diagnosis.

Comment from: Purple, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have been struggling with itchy, red, rough skin for about four years. The rash moves to different parts of my body and my scalp. I have been to three doctors and had little relief. When this first started, I was taking a statin drug and found that the itchy rash was a side effect. I stopped that drug, and my skin seemed to be better. However, it comes and goes, so I don't know if it was the statin or a coincidence. Since that time, I have been on several different statins and usually have the same problem. Now I'm taking vitamins, and the rash is worse. Quite frankly, it is driving me nuts.

Comment from: Stacy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had eczema for my entire life. It occurs on different parts of my body at irregular intervals! Over the years I have been prescribed a multitude of different medications, including antibiotics. My latest prescriptions are Betamethasone .05%, Triamcinolone .1%, and Ketocnazole. None of them have ever given me permanent relief. I itch on a regular basis on my wrists, elbows, scalp, and legs. Lately I have had some relief from my dandruff with Ketoconazole 2%. I use the shampoo, every other day, and the cream compound on dry spots around my hair line, but I still never wear a black blouse. Betamethasone .05% has given me some relief from scalp itching. I put it on while my scalp is still damp and message it in. My old standbys are: Hydrocortisone 1% from Costco, it gives me as much relief, or more, then prescriptions. I have discovered that ice packs bring instant relief to sever itching, especially on my wrists. I never use soaps or make-up with perfumes, they burn. And finally, after having tried hundreds of different body creams and lotions I have discovered Jergans lotion with Shea Butter. It has actually brought great relief to my very dry skin without irritation. I have started to bath in it every morning.

Comment from: hope4all, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had problems with rash breaking out pretty much all over and it comes and goes, then moves on to other areas. I have been to Dermatologists, they don't know what it is and the only thing I have been doing and using is my own remedy and its been working for me for three years and dont see doctorss anymore. I use the concentrated Aveeno with Cortizone-10. I hope this works for all of you cause it does help me a lot and I work outside all day in all weather climates. Good Luck.

Comment from: MXR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I have had this rash for years and normally hydrocortisone helps it. However, the rash keeps coming back in summer and then in winter. I was prescribed Cyclocort ointment 0.1% in September of 2007 and have been applying it twice a day on my left leg. The rash goes away, but it leaves a dark mark on my skin. This summer of 2008, I continued to use the Cyclocort ointment, but the itchiness goes on and off. The rash transferred to my right leg in May, so now both of my legs have the rash. They're itchy, dry, flaky, and the skin is falling off. I also am using Vaseline for the dry skin problem. My doctor said not to scratch the itchy spots, as there is no cure for my skin rash.

Comment from: darlynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I went to a dermatologist, and he prescribed Lamisil tablets and a cream. It's been one week since I've seen the doctor, and my rash is clearing up, slowly but surely. I have it on my left arm, two places on my right leg, my torso, my groin, and a place on my back. It came on suddenly, and, at first, I just thought it was dry skin. The medicine and the cream are definitely doing their job. Both of my medications are prescriptions.

Published: June 09

I've been a long time sufferer of atopic dermatitis. My skin has been thinned so bad I bruise when I scratch. The steroids over time have damaged my skin, but it helps so much. Can my skin recover at all or is it lost? My outer layer of protection is gone.

Published: May 22

Toothpaste. Works wonders for rashes. Of course I had hives and just put a little colgate really helped until I could get to my prescription.

Comment from: six-killa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I recently started working out to lower my blood pressure. I get rashes all over my body. I don't sweat very much in my workouts. I wonder if that's a problem. I brisk walk, jog, push-ups 6 days a week. I changed my diet to include lots of fish, veggies, fruit and whole wheat pastas and bread.

Comment from: jodybgood, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

It first started a few weeks ago and I got a rash with a few red bumps that burned and itched. The rash seemed to resemble a yeast infection. I had this cream that I usually put on unidentified skin problems. It first started under one breast and lasted about a week then it kind of went away and ended up under the other breast. So now for the past few weeks I have had this rash that started with a few bumps that itched and burned and it now has quite a few bumps with the same symptoms and it is going in a circle. At the site of the rash it itches and burns very badly.

Comment from: james , 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 15

Recently, I've just started having this terrible itching all over. It starts with my legs and then to my lower back up to my shoulders and arms and to the back of my neck. The areas itch at separate time and it seems to move through my body. I have never had this happen before. I'm not sure if I'm developing eczema or what is going on. The itching starts for a while and then just stops. I can't figure out the cause of a flare up and it happens once or twice a day. My wife and I have tried to go through food, detergent, etc, and there are no inconsistencies that we can tell. I know it sounds crazy but I've never had this problem before. I've also tried soaking in a bath tub of epsom salt and alcohol. No relief. Any suggestions?

Comment from: jr, Published: October 06

Have been diagnosed with contact dermatitis, with treatment; then diagnosed with edema with treatment; of the lower legs. Have rash, non-itching; redness and swelling. Symptoms resolve for several days then recur. I have been treated with ointment, antibiotics. All of this in two months time.

Published: July 09

Baking soda in bath water works for me.

Published: July 29

I have had great results with using Shea Butter to treat eczema - as have the women in my family and many of my friends too. It helps soften the scales by moisturizing but apparently whatever the natural component is of shea it helps heal skin problems. I would recommend trying it before you damage your skin further with strong steroids.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter