Patient Comments: Rabies - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you received to treat rabies? Describe what the experience is like. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: shahwa, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My son (9 years old) was bitten by a street dog yesterday. We went to a nearby hospital. The doctor gave him two injections (one of them tetanus). Today morning he went school but when he came back from school he was suffering from fever, headache, and muscle pain. I gave him medicine also. Now I read this article about rabies. I am now worried what to do.

Comment from: natarte, Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I was bitten by my dog 3 hours ago. I bled continuously, I was bitten in my nose, I induced the bleeding then washed it with soap and water and ran to the nearby hospital. They gave me several injections like tetanus toxoid and ATS, but I haven’t got ARV because it was expensive and I don"t have the money. I don"t want to die, because I’m the bread winner in my family.

Comment from: EMMA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was bitten by a puppy on 11th December 2015. The puppy is not vaccinated. I immediately washed the bite with running water. I also took tetanus injection and was told to observe the dog for 10 days. The puppy died 14 days later. I felt feverish in the night some days after the bite.

Comment from: Mutinyu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I was bitten by a dog late in the day. I didn't have any idea what first aid to give myself. I went to a nearby nurse who told me it was a mere scratch but gave me some tablets which she claimed were antibiotics. The following day, I went to a nearby clinic and was assured the scratch was minor and still given antibiotics. I was assured that if the dog was not infected, I would be fine, but if infected, within a short while, say ten days, it would die. The dog owners say the dog was treated and however still lives. On researching more about rabies and its transmission, I am just getting more scared because it's close to three weeks since the dog bite.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter