There are many types of quadriceps injuries, including strains, contusions, Osgood-Schlatter disease, patellar tendinitis, quadriceps tendinitis, jumper's knee, tendinitis, compartment syndrome, rupture, and herniation. Symptoms and signs of a quadriceps injury including pain, swelling, limping, and decreased range of motion. Treatment of most quad injuries includes rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Ibuprofen may help with pain relief. Read more: Quadriceps Injury Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Leg
In popular usage, the leg extends from the top of the thigh down to the foot. See a picture of the Leg and learn more about the...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
Leg Pain: Causes and Treatment for Leg, Calf, and Thigh Pain
Leg, calf and thigh pain are symptoms of conditions that may involve the muscles, nerves, and more. Sensations like tingling,...
Related Disease Conditions
A bruise, or contusion, is caused when blood vessels are damaged or broken as the result of a blow to the skin. The raised area...
Osgood-Schlatter disease, a painful inflammation just below the knee but above the shin, typically affects adolescent boys....
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Compartment syndrome is a condition in which swelling and an increase in pressure within a limited space presses and compresses...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Use a Ladder Safely
- Health Tip: Prevent Yoga-Related Injury
- When Kids Focus on 1 Sport, Overuse Injuries Rise
- Sports Safety: It's Not Just Child's Play
- Many Parents Say Sports Can Be Too Dangerous for Kids
- 25 U.S. Kids Treated in ERs Every Hour for Bike Injuries
- High School Pitchers Who Also Catch Prone to Injury
- 1 in 3 US Military Injuries in Iraq, Afghanistan Weren't on Battlefield
- Expert Pointers for Avoiding Basketball Injuries
- Weightlifting Injuries Common for Deployed U.S. Troops
- Major League Pitchers Plagued by Two Types of Injuries
- Dealing With an Exercise-Related Injury
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter