Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Cause

If known, what caused your pulmonary fibrosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my aortic valve replaced in April 2013. I never felt good from the time of the surgery, kept going to the heart surgeon and he kept sending me for chest x-rays. Two months later my cardiologist sent me to the emergency room with a temperature of almost 103. He admitted me saying I had a urinary tract infection (UTI), six days later after a TEE (transesophageal echocardiograph) found out I had endocarditis. I had to replace both valves, do a triple bypass and reconstruction of the aortic root. I was in intensive care for 34 days. I see a pulmonologist every six months. Lungs have never been the same since.

Comment from: cardinal, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My husband served in Vietnam in 1970 and 1971. He has recently died with a diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis. I feel that his being in Vietnam and the Agent Orange that was everywhere in that country, is what caused his death. He also had a quintuple bypass operation and then had many stents put in over the years. He had diabetes. He was only 81 years old and probably had many good years left. He was on oxygen 24/7 near the end.

Comment from: onyxthecat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was recently diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis (PF), and the specialist seems to think that GERD is a strong contributor to this condition, since I have never smoked and was hardly ever exposed to second hand smoke. I was skeptical about the GERD because I have been taking Prilosec for years. When I read the information on this site, I learned that chemotherapy and radiation can cause this disease months or years after treatment (15 in my case). So that, to me, is the most likely culprit. I will discuss with my doctor at my next visit. I also wonder about the effects of living in areas with high air pollution for many years.

Comment from: heather, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My fiance died a little over a year ago. I know it came from working in the mines but the doctor said no. We met a man in Pittsburg; He said his doctor said it came from his hot tub. His pulmonary fibrosis took 13 years to get him on oxygen and transplant.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter