Patient Comments: Pulmonary Fibrosis - Cause

What causes pulmonary fibrosis?

Comment from: cardinal, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My husband served in Vietnam in 1970 and 1971. He has recently died with a diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis. I feel that his being in Vietnam and the Agent Orange that was everywhere in that country, is what caused his death. He also had a quintuple bypass operation and then had many stents put in over the years. He had diabetes. He was only 81 years old and probably had many good years left. He was on oxygen 24/7 near the end.

Comment from: onyxthecat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I was recently diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis (PF), and the specialist seems to think that GERD is a strong contributor to this condition, since I have never smoked and was hardly ever exposed to second hand smoke. I was skeptical about the GERD because I have been taking Prilosec for years. When I read the information on this site, I learned that chemotherapy and radiation can cause this disease months or years after treatment (15 in my case). So that, to me, is the most likely culprit. I will discuss with my doctor at my next visit. I also wonder about the effects of living in areas with high air pollution for many years.

Comment from: heather, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My fiance died a little over a year ago. I know it came from working in the mines but the doctor said no. We met a man in Pittsburg; He said his doctor said it came from his hot tub. His pulmonary fibrosis took 13 years to get him on oxygen and transplant.

Pulmonary Fibrosis - Treatments Question: What treatments have been helpful with your pulmonary fibrosis?
Pulmonary Fibrosis - Experience Question: If known, what was the cause of your pulmonary fibrosis? Please share your experience.
Pulmonary Fibrosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pulmonary fibrosis?