Patient Comments: Pulmonary Embolism - Risk Factors

Do you have risk factors for pulmonary embolism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gladys, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had knee surgery for the 4th time. I began to feel a hot spot on my left calf and had an unremarkable ultrasound. One morning as I was reading the paper, I thought I felt some chest pain. As a dental hygienist, I have learned to pay attention. I took a 325 mg aspirin and really paid attention. Next, within a short time I felt like I had pneumonia but didn't have a cold. I have had pneumonia before. Within a short time I felt pain in my back. At that point my son took my blood pressure which is normally 115/63 most of the time, and it was 179/117. My husband took me to the hospital and after a CAT scan, I learned I had pulmonary emboli. Doctors immediately started heparin and immediately was admitted. I was told most people do not live through this. I am so grateful. I needed to be able to continue raising my grandson, but I am still spooked by this and continue to wonder if it will happen again.

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter